z

Young Writers Society

Need a Cover?

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:19 pm
Storygirl95 says...

@jumpingsheep we have a winner! You're right! :D
I couldn't figure it out in my own the first time I heard it haha.
GOOD JOB! :D
Gold stars.
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:57 am
elysian says...

hello~ trying to pretend I don't need sleep and get a lot of things done for NaNoWriMo prep. :-)

title: The Flames are Whispering

basic plot/theme of your novel:

Spoiler! :
North Korea has overthrown the American Government, they have invaded and claimed the seats in the White House and so on. It's a dictatorship, but they pose as a Republic. They call themselves the Korean Republic. Garrett works for these people, specifically Jae. They’ve kind of brainwashed America, trying to erase memory of America in general. Obviously it’s not a republic, but it’s to throw off the people. They make America think that they’re choosing their representative, but elections are rigged and the President doesn't really listen to them.

I’m thinking that there’s few families that live in “The Korean Republic” (TKR) that still remember what it used to be, who have saved diaries, history books, or just books in general about America and it's history. I’m thinking that Garrett’s love interest (Audrey) is close to her grandmother, who remember’s what America used to be, and has some books hidden to read to her (Fairy Tales and a few old diaries). So this girl has fallen in love with books, and doesn’t understand why they’re burning them, erasing them from people’s memories. So, they fall in love, and Garrett realizes her love for books.This obviously created some friction, and even more friction when she finds out his line of work. She didn’t understand how he could burn such beautiful memories and words. This puts on lot of stress on Garrett to decide between what he's always done and love, which is hard for someone who is devoted to what he thinks is right.

mood of your novel, and it's genre: it's dramatic young adult. has some to do with romance and politics and action.

A description of the novel's most important place: probably a library or the white house or something, but I don't want the white house on it I don't think.

A description of up to two of your characters:

Garrett has brown eyes, dark brown hair, 5'11, 142 pounds, He usually has a closely shaven beard, mostly scruff on his face. Square face, rugged features. When you look at him, he screams man.

Audrey has blue eyes, light brown long hair, 5'5, 120 pounds, small nose, really beautiful. She’s more of an average pretty though. Her face has strong bone structure when she turns in certain angles, or locks her jaw. otherwise it’s not super noticeable.

any color preferences?: definitely oranges and reds and blacks, fiery :p

riddle: A dad and his son were riding their bikes and crashed. Two ambulances came and took them to different hospitals. The man’s son was in the operating room and the doctor said, “I can’t operate on you. You’re my son.”
How is that possible?

thank you!

so I just got inspired, if this is possible. so my dream cover would be a girl and a boy outline, the girl has a bunch of cursive writing inside her outline, and the title is in like red or yellow or black (blacker than the rest of the cursive) and and they're like really close in each other's arms, and there's like flames burning the girl outline because she's like a book, and he's holding the matches. I TOTALLY understand if this is undoable, just spurting out an idea!
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:47 pm
Hattable says...

Title: The Debut Case of Gideon Gilroy (Yes, I know it's a long, odd title, but shhhh. It's fiiine.)

Plot: It's the story of a chronic liar, a disgustingly scandalous bibliophile, an important man's daughter, and a world between dimensions. There's also something quite odd about the mustache on that giant statue near the center of the city. These situations, among a slew of others, all cram themselves into Gideon Gilroy's first case as a fledgling detective in the mysterious city of Motley, Dark Britain.

Genre/Mood: Genre is Mystery/Humor. Mood isss... I'm not sure what the mood is. It's not really all that serious, it's a bit random, but there's also a sort of... Dark, mysterious air about the world, so... That?

Setting: The most important place - the only place, really - is Motley, Dark Britain. It's a large city that I'm envisioning as a slightly older London. There's old-timey streetlights lining the roads and small cafes crammed into the bottom floor of some of the three story buildings. As you get nearer the center of the city, the buildings get higher (as there's an incline in the land) and there's a large mustachioed statue near the center. Some towers poke up from the array of buildings, one or two resembling Big Bentley.
Oh, and the city is trapped in an almost permanent dusk, so everything's quite dark.
Lots of clouds in the sky too... The city's on a peninsula and the buildings stretch out right to the shore of the dark, stormy sea.

Character: I don't really have much in mind for any of the character's appearances yet, but I can tell you that the main character, Gideon Gilroy, wears a tall, weathered stove-top hat, a trenchcoat over a gray pinstripe suit with a silver necktie, and large dusty boots. He stands at about 5'11 and has brown hair, a large nose, and light gray eyes. Leather gloves, too, as well as a couple of rather large ears aaaand...
That's about it. Sorry it's not very good.

Color preference: Color preferences are really just dark things like black, gray, brown... So long as it isn't bright, it should be alright.

Sorry if none of this was very good. ;-;

RIDDLE:
Poor people have it. Rich people need it. If you eat it you die. What is it?
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:50 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

Hey, darlings!
I will get to all of these lovely covers, but it's going to take a couple of days, so be patient with me~
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:57 pm
TheSilverFox says...

A heart, @Hattable?
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

141 Reviews

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:58 pm
Hattable says...

No, @TheSilverFox, but interesting guess. Though, not all poor people are very nice and not all rich people are heartless, so... Try again. :p

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:08 pm
Que says...

@Hattable that's a repeat. :)
Est-ce que vous parlez français?

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:11 pm
DiskElemental says...

Title: A Light for Tomorrow

Plot: The world is turning into a desert. No one knows why, how, or what to do about it, and it's spreading. In a desperate attempt to save their world, five supposed-to-be heroes, last scions their respective noble lines, band together to save the world.

Genre/Mood: Low Fantasy/Drama. The story is definitely fantasy-inspired, in that magic exists in the world, but there aren't any elves/dwarves/dragons or other common tropes. It's a human story in a fantasy world.

Setting: The story takes place all over the world, but it begins and ends in the remains of a small logging town called Diggory's Hollow. The town used to be a thriving community deep in the northern woods (look up pictures of a taiga for a clear view), prior to the corrosion. Now, the forest has given way to a burning desert, any citizens with the means to leave have done so, leaving only the poor, destitute, and stubborn. The buildings are crumbling, slowly being transformed into sand; constant sandstorms and searing heat have stripped the paint off most of the buildings and forced the few remaining residents of Diggory's Hollow to lock their doors and shutter their windows.

To the west lies an infinite expanse of featureless orange sand, under a clear blue sky, and a sun looming too close for comfort. To the east lies a dead forest, the few remaining needles clinging to the tree have been bleached to a dull orange by the heat. Not a single thing grows here, the ground is littered with dead leaves, the ground is an ashy grey. A single dirt track winds its way through the decay towards Digory's Hollow.

Character: I'd actually prefer to not have the characters on the cover, at least, not fully detailed. I think silhouettes would look quite nice, and contrast well with the background.

Roderick - Male, human, approximately 5' 9", sandy blond hair cut short, green eyes, heavily tanned and sunburned. Thin and weak, but not unhealthily so. Slouches and shuffles when he walks. Flowing white robes, something to keep him cool in the intense heat. Always carries a beat up leather satchel and a worn out revolver.

Cassandra - Female, human, approximately 6' 1", gold hair cut short, grey eyes, pale skin (clearly new to the desert.) Athletic build, broad shoulders. Stand tall, and walks confidently. Wears a set of polished fullplate (with a white plume in her helmet), either wears a longsword and shield on her back, or carries them.

Cassandra should be on the forest side and Roderick should be on the desert side.

Color preferences: Oranges, Yellows, Black, and Sky blue. Should give a feeling of oppressive heat and decay.

Riddle: There are 3 soda machines in the cafeteria, all labeled incorrectly, each one requiring a quarter to activate. One dispenses Grape, one Orange, and the last dispenses either grape or orange with a 50/50 chance. You want to label the machines correctly. How many quarters do you need to guarantee the machines are properly labeled?
A man without a plan, or anything else for that matter. (Except a review thread).

141 Reviews

Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm
Hattable says...

@Falconer, it isss? D: Darn...

@QueenOfHearts, does my payment still count? ;-; :p

212 Reviews

Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:34 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

@Hattable

Ahem.

No.

141 Reviews

Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:40 pm
Hattable says...

</3

Has this one been done...? ;-;

They come out at night without being called.
They are lost in the day without being stolen.
What are they?

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:19 pm
Zolen says...

I don't have an request, but I know the hardest riddle in the world.

Why are tulips like turtles, but hawks never like daisy's?
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

212 Reviews

Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:00 am
TheCrimsonLady says...

Because tulips and turtles start with the same letter, but not hawks and daisys...
@Zolen

@Hattable
Noooo, I wuuvvvvv you. Come back to me!
Let's see, it hasn't been done. I'll answer when your cover's done.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:43 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

stars
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:02 pm
Zolen says...

QueenOfHearts wrote:Because tulips and turtles start with the same letter, but not hawks and daisys...
@Zolen

lvl 2

Dressed for success, I stumble in, but as soon as I am, you throw me out again, what am I?
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.
— George Burns