z

Young Writers Society

Night's Artistic Imaginings

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:23 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

I figured, after a year-ish of clogging up my wall with occasional art stuff, I might as well make a mini-forum for a lovely collection of my main projects.

Last year was the first time I became truly interested in art, when I took a portrait class at the local art center. Since then, I've fallen completely in love. I've determined that I'd like to major in something art-related in college, possibly animation, illustration, or character design. Those majors also have a writing aspect to them, so there's that! :D I'm currently taking a drawing class and a chalk pastel class, so I'm still very untrained- that would be only one full and two partial classes so far.

So I just plan to post things I like on here, as an online portfolio for my own documentation. Yay. To avoid clogging one post, I'll post a few pics at a time, I think.

I'm totally up for any art reviews too, if anyone wants to focus on a specific piece or my style as a whole. I'd probably like more comments on recent works, as I've learned a lot since the older works I've posted. But I'm always looking to improve, so please, give me your advice! Enjoy! :)
Last edited by Sonder on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"This world is but a canvas to our imagination."
~Thoreau

254 Reviews

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:33 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

I guess I'll just go in order of my old, semi-decent pictures, for progression. Yay. The following few were done sometime last year, when I was 16, before I took my first class, and before I owned proper watercolor paper. XD

Melting elephant is melting.

Gone fishing! I'd love to redo this now, possibly digital at some point?

Those fat little arms, though. XD
~Thoreau

254 Reviews

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:38 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

Hipster Prongs? The proportions are off, but I still like the idea.

I got obsessed with cheap watercolors on sketch paper. So not always the best combo, but this one turned out nice. :)

Hair dye is expensive, painting it is easier. ;)
~Thoreau

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:41 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

These are awesome! I especially love the melting elephant. c:
100% autistic

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:46 pm
View Likes
Tuesday says...

These look amazing! :D
What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

254 Reviews

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:47 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

These next few pictures are from my portrait class towards the end of last year. I adored it, and I discovered my obsession with charcoal there. I love seeing how I've improved from the beginning.

Very first pencil portrait, of a Dominican Republican girl that my parents met on one of their travels. What I love about portraits is that every person has a story behind their eyes, something that cartoon, stylized drawings don't always capture. I was a bit too dainty with this drawing, the darks aren't dark enough for my taste, but that's why I love charcoal! :D

This is of a little Kenyan boy we passed riding on a train in 2009. I think he's cute, but kids are really hard to draw! This is charcoal.

This is my very first charcoal attempt, of a girl we met who was of the Kenyan Orma tribe. Again, I could have made it darker, but her expression came through.
~Thoreau

254 Reviews

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:48 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

Oh, thank you, @Holysocks and @Blaspherica :D I'm still posting haha, just trying to dig some more recent art from my computer's memory. XD
~Thoreau

254 Reviews

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:53 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

These are all pencil drawings, which I don't like as much, but are convenient regarding supplies. ;)

I really liked this girl's lips, haha.

My portrait teacher's niece came in as a live model, so I tried to draw her from the side. It's so hard to get the likeness, especially when the model moves and breathes!

I also tried to draw the model's hands. XD
~Thoreau

254 Reviews

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:01 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

These are my favorite charcoals of all. ^-^

I entered this old guy into my art center's show, and it and the Orma girl are currently hanging on the stairs. XD He took about 5 hours, but it was worth it. The wrinkles were super fun.

This was my final class in portrait drawing, and I still haven't quite finished it, but oh well. Her hair was so much trouble, I think I just got tired of this piece.

This guy was from August this summer, I think. I hadn't touched my charcoals since my last class, so it was nice to try my hand at them again and know that I could still do it. I also took a close-up because I adore his eyebrows. XD
Spoiler! :
~Thoreau

254 Reviews

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:15 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

Oops, I forgot about my digi art. These are all old, probably a year or more, because I haven't touched my digi tablet in a long, long time. I probably should pick it up again. But hey, let's laugh at how bad these are. :P

It's chubby, hipster Pooh Bear! XD He actually has glasses quite similar to mine...

I made this last year when I was sitting around the house sick, and I used it as my avatar on here for a while there, I think.

I drew this guy for a Storybook character a ways back. His proportions are bleh and I have no idea what his hair is doing, but I like the attitude. XD

I drew this lovely, wonky-eared lady not too long ago, actually. I use her as my Google account avatar. :P
~Thoreau

254 Reviews

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:22 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

Finally, I reached my most recent art. XD These are from my current pastels class, and I've only taken two classes so far. I love the color aspect, though. It's a whole new way of thinking.

This guy was from a Nat Geo article or something, he had just jumped into a frozen lake. I tried the rough side of the paper (still not sure how I feel about it) and for my first shot at pastels, I think I did well. :)

Work-in-progress pastel portrait from last night! This is a boy from the Wodaabe tribe in the Central African Republic, painted and decorated for a tribal ceremony. The white is where I'm going to put his rainbow necklaces and other jewelry. Because I'm not done with this one yet, I may either replace this later on, or make a new post? We'll see.

But there! I'm finally caught up to present day. I probably have a bunch more in my sketchbook, but they aren't as finished as some of these and I'm lazy. XD Hope you guys enjoy what I have so far! Let me know what you think! :)
~Thoreau

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:03 pm
SkyeWalker says...

I do so wish my school computer allowed me to see these.
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

254 Reviews

Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:15 am
Sonder says...

That's really odd! The website I use has worked for everyone in the past. :/ Have you tried opening them in a new tab?

Edit: I missed the part where it was a school computer. Maybe it's blocking them. :/
~Thoreau

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:20 pm
View Likes
Deanie says...

YAY

It was time for this thread to be made. I love them all, especially the charcoal drawing of the old man. That one has to be my personal favourite so far :3
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

254 Reviews

Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:39 pm
Sonder says...

Thanks @Deanie! He's one of my favorites too. :)
~Thoreau

I’d heard he had started a fistfight in one of the seedier local taverns because someone had insisted on saying the word “utilize” instead of “use".
— Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear