z

Young Writers Society

A Picture Book by Buggie

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:43 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

So, I'm writing and illustrating a picture book!

The Project:

I was drafted by my local library to help with a little story-telling project. After much fretting, I decided that a picture book would be the most ideal outlet for me.

The Story Concept:

It takes place during the summer of 1938 in New York City. Count Basie and his jazz orchestra are ruling the music scene with their passionate swing, and the federal government has just established a minimum wage.

Our two main characters aren't on the big stage. First there is Emilio, a maker and seller of formal wear who dreams of having performers wear his designs. Then there is Mattie, a young lady who plays a mean trombone but feels uncomfortable performing as a girl with all the boys in her group.

It's not a terribly twisty plot, and I'm not aiming for it to be. In fact, you all can probably guess where the story will go. This is just a happy, feel-good story about friendship and art, and possibly cats.

The Artwork:

Like jazz and swing, the art for this piece will be very free. Of course, limitations make things much easier for any improv, so here's what I'm aiming for, and what you can expect when the first concepts are finished.

This will be full-color and done with traditional mediums, probably black ink and watercolor.

The images will be hosted on another site, with links on this thread. This is because I am scanning printer-paper-sized images at really high res, so the images are bigger on the computer than they are in real life (this is in case I choose to do prints).

I will probably ask someone for help with cover design, because I have no idea how to do that! If you're one of those awesome people, please let me know, and I will contact you when I'm close to being finished.

And that closes this update!
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

557 Reviews

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:54 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

Update No. 1

After much doodling in class, I finalized a few elements of the two main characters, and though some details still need work, here is the first full-color concept!

(Link, because the image is GIGANTIC.) https://41.media.tumblr.com/7b163686192 ... 1_1280.jpg

Emilio's face shape needs some work, but I like his coloring, and Mattie's skin needs a bit more water, but I want it about the same darkness, which is very frustrating. She does look nice in pastel purple though, so I might save that color for her concert dress.

I tried looking up hairstyles from the late 30s, but I couldn't find any pictures of Black women, and so I had to make something up from scratch for Mattie. Hopefully it is correct...

Also, does anyone know where to find a white gel pen without ordering it online? I am in great need of one.

Next time: I'll either do concepts for Emilio's shop or a few black-and-white sketches of the possible concert dresses for Mattie. What do y'all want to see first?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:03 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

Mattie definitely looks nice in that pastel purple, or at least it does seem to compliment her skin quite well from my point of view.
I also quite like Emilio's facial expression, he seems... Detertimed, I'd say.
(But yes I do suggest that you keep purplish colors for Mattie. Mom always said purple was a good color for dark-skinned people :3).

Also, I actually went ahead and looked for Mom and Grandma's hairstyles in old photos, and upon comparing with Mattie's, it seems roughly similar to my Grandma's hairstyle in late 30s ~ early 40s. Especially the little barrettes she has. So... hope that helps.

As for your question, I'll have to look that up. Ordering online is slowly becoming the safest way to get various items, so it might be tough. D'you have any related shops to such pens near where you live? I assume you've already checked, but oh well.

Dunno about other people, but I'm currently more curious about Mattie's dress than Emilio's shop :D
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

557 Reviews

Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:02 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

Update No. 2

Ah, the dress. I had to browse through quite a number of pictures for these. I wasn't sure whether to go more evening gown style or draw something more for swing-dancing, so I drew all kinds!

I also scanned these to be small enough to fit on YWS, so no link-clicking.

Image Image

Image Image

Obligatory sketch of Emilio brainstorming.

I am still experimenting with designs and have a few more sketches to scan, but I'm leaving it at this because I'm not sure how I feel about some of the newer ones.

Also, since there are so many pictures of dresses here, a picture of a real dress would not hurt, would it? This is my homecoming dress, which I sewed myself! (Requires clicking)

https://41.media.tumblr.com/20feab40009 ... 7_1280.jpg

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:35 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Buggiedude2340 although I'd say that all of these designs look pretty good, if I ahd to choose, I'd say that I am REALLY liking that 4th dress, mostly because the belt-like feature in the middle makes me think of recent "simple" geisha designs I've looked up.
That and the flower-like thing on the side. I like extra features in clothing.

Well now it feels like Emilio's the one designing these, which is funny to me. "Which one fits her the most..." he asked himself at 4 in the morning.
Lulz.

Ooooh. That real dress is fancy :O That color would really fit Maggie as well. Though I can't comment much on the design: I'm... not really a clothing person.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:53 pm
StupidSoup says...

@BuggieDude2340!

You have my support o3o/

Your drawings are amazing there outstandingly adorable not one of them deplorable in color scheme, or size. I think these are favorable most definitely savor able easily relatable and not so very sad. This book will be elating once it's pages are procured. Your book will be amazing once it's pictures are secured.

I hope its published and you collect a whole bunch of money. I could also write for you if you want.
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:32 pm
Robusto says...

You're such an amazing artist.
That's some Disney level stuff right there.

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:07 pm
Sonder says...

I adore the first watercolor of your characters! I love the style and the visuals are very appealing. I'd love to see more of your work, and I wish you luck on the picture book! ^-^
"This world is but a canvas to our imagination."
~Thoreau

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:39 am
Deanie says...

*starts fangirling* The characters look wonderful! I love it and I already know that I would want to buy this picture book :D I'm subscribing to make sure I don't miss an update!
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
— Harold Coffin