z

Young Writers Society

Falco's interesting art

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:01 am
View Likes
Que says...

Hello there! I am currently working on a graphic novel so I am trying to do a bunch of animal-humans from interesting angles with half-decent hands and heads. I need all the help I can get in improving my skills in drawing, so don't be afraid to tell me what you hate about my drawings!
This is my main character, a mutant unicorn-girl named Zenith:
I am obviously having difficulties with hands/arms! (Not to mention hair...)
Parlez-vous français?

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:17 am
View Likes
Marshymallow says...

When drawing the hands lightly draw rectangles where you want the fingers to be (a new rectangle per joint) and draw a pentagon shape for the hand so you can get a nice structure.
:D Smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

And eat marshmallows

Spoiler! :
Spoiler :P

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:43 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

Another good tip for limbs in general is to keep an eye on your foreshortening and how you use it. It looks like you're trying to use it in that picture, but it doesn't come across very well—the foreshortened arm is the same width all the way up as you drew it, instead of having a slightly tapering width going back towards the shoulder.

Also, as far as proportions go, looking at a lot of human bodies and their proportions can help (I usually start with myself, then confirm that my proportions are around the average norm). For example, standing up in that position, my shoulders are about three times the width of my head ("three heads across", we'll say), and my fingertips end up about halfway down my thigh (arms are a lot longer than we think they are).

With that out of the way, I think the design is mega cool! With a bit of spit and polish (and some proportions :P) I think this could definitely be awesome.
stay off the faerie paths

498 Reviews

Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:44 am
Que says...

Thank you so much for the tips! *goes off to practice*
Parlez-vous français?

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:07 pm
Zolen says...

hm, I could give you a detailed explanation into the theory of proportions.

But I am lazy so I shall show you something by a artist who draws in a way you might lean to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBAPGBlnls
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:18 pm
View Likes
Nutty says...

Hey there!

It's pretty generic advice, but honestly the best way to learn to draw people is to draw them... a lot. Life drawing is the best bet, especially in person, but free photo courses are found online as well. Generally these are nude poses, but if you're uncomfortable with that, sites such as these give you an option for clothed models, too.

If you do decide to do some life drawing, use material that you are comfortable drawing quickly with (I like willow charcoal, it's cheap, goes on quickly and covers large areas on its side) and try knocking out some 1min or 2min poses. Try and get the whole body down, from head to toes. They'll probably look odd- my first attempts look like gingerbread men, haha! But this quick drawing will help you start recording what you see quickly and with smooth, energetic motions.

I love her horn, and her hair isn't actually too bad! Hair is ridiculously hard to draw. Generally I have to look at "chunks" of hair, and tone them from a reference. References are great.

Hands and arms are just, so, so hard. They are the bane of many an artist! My advice is to just practise drawing them- from photos, from real life, whatever. Draw yourself in the mirror. Draw your family and friends. Draw random people in stock photos. It doesn't matter, you need to draw and you'll need reference. I am still pretty lost without references most of the time, and I've been studying fine art for three years!

Anyway, you're doing great. I love her design, and having a solid design is actually pretty hard in itself! If you need any specific help, feel free to send me a PM.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

498 Reviews

Sun May 03, 2015 3:10 am
View Likes
Que says...

Hey I'm so sorry I haven't posted anymore drawing here but I have one more at the moment. I believe I need some help with hair, especially boy hair. The hair in this picture looks almost like feathers or something like that, but I don't really know enough about how hair works to make it correct. I either put in too many individual strands or not enough. Does anyone else have that problem, or know how to help with it?

By the way, terribly sorry if this turns out to be sideways.
Parlez-vous français?

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue May 19, 2015 3:23 pm
Robusto says...

Greetings @Falconer.
I have been looking for an artist to possibly take two requests. The requests being two group photos of characters from my Storybook. If you are interested/available, do inform me and I'll provide more details. Thank you for your time.
P.S. Amazing artwork by the way.

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Sat May 23, 2015 4:31 pm
erilea says...

GOOD JOb WOW
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

498 Reviews

Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:19 pm
View Likes
Que says...

I haven't come back here in a while. Oh school. I hope to be posting some stuff soon!
Parlez-vous français?

498 Reviews

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:22 am
View Likes
Que says...

A watercolour I did over the summer: http://tinypic.com/r/15sa88y/8

Unfinished sketch of my characters. Emett, a wolf-boy, is giving Raía, a cat-girl, a piggy-back ride. :3 http://tinypic.com/r/v75zwo/8

My best drawing EVER (yet): http://tinypic.com/r/fyibo7/8

Sorry that these are links- and that I've been gone for a while! I do apologise and I will try and keep up with this and school. Taking some drawing classes second semester!
Parlez-vous français?

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:32 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

I love the foxy!!!! <3 Good job on the fur.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

498 Reviews

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:49 am
View Likes
Que says...

I haven't put anything here in a long time. I did this one on my iPad. :)
Attachments
image.jpeg
Parlez-vous français?

498 Reviews

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:57 pm
View Likes
Que says...

I need to be better at keeping this up! Anyhow. This is a final project I did in Drawing & Painting, with colored pencils on scrapbook paper. :)
Attachments
image.jpeg
Parlez-vous français?

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:39 am
View Likes
EternalRain says...

For the one you did on your iPad, what program did you use? Just curious! c: She looks amazing!
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”

-- Lemony Snicket

Check out Squills!

Need a Review?

All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times; but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, till they take root in our personal experience.
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe