z

Young Writers Society

Art by Flash

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:43 pm
View Likes
AttackOfTheFlash says...

I've been drawing longer than I've been writing. So with all of these other awesome artists posting their drawings, I've decided to do the same.

I can only draw animals and creatures at the moment, but I'm trying to expand my horizon.

If you'd like, I'll draw your animal/creature character from your story! Just ask and I will. :)
Attachments
doe deer.jpg
Here's a skull deer creature thing.
doe deer.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Shiny Sylveon.jpg
Pokémon, anyone? Here's a shiny Sylveon.
Akiak headshot.jpg
This is Akiak, an antagonist from one of my stories.
Are you living or simply existing?

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:42 am
Lumi says...

I don't get to say this enough, but I am a huge fan of skulls. As such, you have me really sold on the first and third images here.

Unfortunately I'm no expert on animal anatomy, so I can't vouch for your correctness or flaws in detail. I just know it's pleasing to the eye, and that's a good thing. It is! I think my main beef with the first drawing is that the antlers do not protrude naturally from the skull, but instead seem to fragment themselves from the whole. I'd experiment with the ease of transition between areas and see what works best for you. In all honesty, this could be the best scenario.

Sylveon is beautiful and I love her shiny form; but I have to be honest in that your pose has given her ridiculous haunches. Like you could carve that up and serve it at Thanksgiving. The remainder of the pose itself is a bit awkward as well, but that's not an easy fix; it's basically the whole drawing. All the same, it's a good exercise in posing and learning what (not) to do. Beyond that, her ribbons are inconsistent in length and not just because they vary in closeness to the observer. They do so almost at random, so I'd definitely touch that up. All that aside, the coloring is nice, so bravo.

Finally, my main concern with your third image is that the yellow highlight of the eye is so hard-edged that you see the full photoshop circle around the eye socket, which is really unappealing. Other than that, I'm a fan of his design, and it's haunting, albeit unoriginal.

I hope this helps,

Ty
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:19 am
Zolen says...

Hm, you seem solid on side views but not all that great on forward facing if I were to judge from just these 3.

How about you try to draw my avatar?

Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:22 am
Nutty says...

Foreshortening is harrrrd. Believe me, I know.

The first image is lovely. Your marks are confident, even, and varied- especially in the skull. They become a little sketchier in some of the prongs of the antlers, but that is a super easy fix- if you add a little shading on the longest prong, similar to the bottom one, I don't think you could even tell. If you're not sure, photocopy and edit the photocopy before you touch your original.

Seriously, though, that hatching is tasty. Nice and even, nice and straight, I am fully envious.

The anatomy on sylveon is a bit more suspect. I'm no expert myself, but I'd suggest finding a reference- sylveon is similar to a cat or a fox, so decide which body shape you like better for it, and find a picture! Foreshortening from a photo is already easier than doing it from real life, since it's flat- although practice drawing from life too, if you can.

Drawing with a tablet is not as comfortable and natural as on paper- and if you did it with a mouse, I'm in awe- you're more patient than I am! If you are using a mouse, I'd totally suggest looking at pixel art. Doesn't rely on a tablet, exact control- the scale is smaller, but the skill is actually very useful. Sprite sheets, icons, even video games, if that's your goal. If you're using a tablet, practise makes perfect- and I'd suggest checking your pressure controls. If you can get that tasty line variation you have in your traditional inked work, you'll be well on your way laughing with making beautiful digital work.

In the last, I quite like it- it has a nice, cartoony kind of sketchy traditional feel, while being a bit digital too. The forms of the fur are nice, and you have a good sense of shape. I don't know if the skull is super accurate, but I don't know if that's something you are concerned about.

(Foreshortening, in case you or anyone who is reading this doesn't know, is basically when you draw something that coming out at the viewer. It's particularly difficult, since you basically have to ignore what you know and draw what you see. It is why drawing someone with arms forward towards the viewer is harder than drawing them in a neutral or T pose.)
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

65 Reviews

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:23 am
AttackOfTheFlash says...

Wow, thank you guys for the feedback and advice! I thought this thread was forgotten.
@Lumi the more I look at that Sylveon the more I realize how bad she looks. DX I'll defiantly try redrawing her with anatomy in mind. (I think it was the pose I was going for that threw me off so bad.) And yes, I seriously need to work on deer antlers. :)
@Zolen Yep, my big art weakness is the front view. I tried to work on that with the Sylveon but as you can see it didn't work out. I'll draw your avatar!
@Nutty I tried foreshortening for an art class a few months ago and it was my biggest weakness in the class. I'll try working on that!
Once again thank you guys for the feedback, I'll try to update this with more recent art every week or so. And if you're wondering: the digital was done with a mobile tablet application. I do have a graphics tablet, but I have to program to use it with.

110 Reviews

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:14 pm
Zolen says...

AttackOfTheFlash wrote:Wow, thank you guys for the feedback and advice! I thought this thread was forgotten.

I'd say, thank Lumi

65 Reviews

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:01 pm
AttackOfTheFlash says...

@Zolen Here's your avatar you asked me to draw. No color yet because I'm lazy. I hope you like it!
Attachments
image.jpg
The talons are really weird... Sorry.

110 Reviews

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:09 pm
Zolen says...

The talons are probably hard for you because they were taken from a unique species of lizard, rather then bird. The talons work on a 3 hinge system attached almost directly to the bone rather then spread out like in a bird. With one talon facing out like a thumb for grabbing.

65 Reviews

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:26 pm
AttackOfTheFlash says...

I see. I was quite conflicted when drawing them, because they didn't look bird-like. That's interesting though. ^^

110 Reviews

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:34 pm
Zolen says...

Yes, when Zolen draws animals he makes new ones out of old ones. Tis cooler.

Also I kind of wanted to challenge you to draw the bird facing the "camera" to help you learn forward facing images.

Otherwise nice drawing of my Harkin.

65 Reviews

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:28 am
AttackOfTheFlash says...

I will try that soon! I'll post it here once it's done.

I like the name Harkin. :3

110 Reviews

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:19 am
Zolen says...

tell me if you want me to draw something in return, just because I also a artist (as you can tell from the fact that I drew that thing you are referencing), and find it would be more fair if you get something back.

65 Reviews

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:57 pm
AttackOfTheFlash says...

Hmm, I'll get back to you on that. I'll have to find/draw a reference.

Besides, if you want perfection, write a haiku. Anything longer is bound to have some passages that don't work as well as they might.
— Philip Pullman