z

Young Writers Society

Artistic Socks

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:07 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I've been rather uninspired lately when it comes to art... In fact, I have built up an anxiety towards art. So that needs to change... I figured why not post some of the things I've done in the past...? So here's some art that I did awhile ago.

This one I entered in the fare and got second place, which I was okay with, because it had pretty good competition. Um, it might be a bit hard to see what it's about... it's got a lot of small things that add to the story. I used woodless pencils for this, which are my most prised art-related medium I have ( Crayons are great, they really are... but... ).

Another one I did for a fare/fair ( I don't have the energy to figure out which way to spell it right now, sorry :/ ), and in won first place! It didn't have much competition at all. Like, there was one Anime sketch... and it was just a sketch ( better then my attempts at Anime, mind you ). I did this picture before the last one, actually. I think these woodless pencil drawings are what started making art stressful for me, because with these two pictures, I had a dead line, and it made the whole experience not very enjoyable at all. I like the end result, mostly, but ah.

I regret not drawing in trees on the rest of the mountains... I think it would have expanded the thought, and it makes me sad that I didn't do that.

I'm going to make several posts 'cause I don't want to overload this post. O.O
100% autistic

494 Reviews

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:20 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Here's some pen and ink! This is by far my most favourite media! I love Stippling, and Scumbling so freakin' much.

Here's the bottom half:

My scanner likes to be creative, and it does so by removing the stems/trunks off my plants. -_-

I really, really, REALLY want to do more with pen and ink, but I'm too lazy to go to the store and when I am there, I see the price of the silly pens and I die inside. I do have nibs and ink... but I don't feel comfortable Scumbling with nibs... I'm worried I'm going to hurt them. I could Stipple I guess.

I was going to complain about how I did the roots anyway, so I'm kind of glad my scanner separated this picture. I love drawing trees, they're so calming.

And now, some of my amazing painting skills!...

It's a shame it's sideways.
100% autistic

494 Reviews

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:22 am
Holysocks says...

The tree doesn't look right here. :/
100% autistic

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:54 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

Ohmigosh these are so pretty! :D
Don't doubt your art skills. ^-^
I love the first two especially, but it's hard to do something in a method you don't like (woodless pencils sound horrid D:)
And yes, Making trees is like, my meditation.
Keep it up. These are lovely.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:24 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

I think your general style is pretty chill. Like it would be a good style to have if you were into cartooning and, in your case, particularly making backgrounds and scenery.

I do think your abstract patchwork giraffe is pretty great, but it falls into a similar vein as the illustrations in children's books--which further reinforces the Cartooning idea. To me, it seems like your sweet spot, even though your slime monster (or is it a Muk from Pokemon???) is a low point and your realistically-styled Stippling Rose is your highest. The tree is good, too, so if those are your hobbies, they're good hobbies to have. You could probably focus in on them and eventually reach a point where you could do small-time framed sales. I have a friend who does this in real life, and it pays for his gaming addiction pretty well.

Besides that, he works at Hobby Lobby, framing artwork for other folks.

I digress. You're good! And you'll keep getting better. +5 if that Muk is a Muk.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

494 Reviews

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:02 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Thanks @fortis! :-D The woodless pencils aren't as bad as I'm making them out to be. I love them dearly, I really do... it's just the most I've used them is on those two works... and they were quite stressful sadly! >.< Yeah, the woodless are basically just pencil crayons without wood. They've got a lot better colour I've found, though ( you can't tell on here ). I'm glad you like them! :-P

Yes @Lumi! My mom used to say that I should try illustrating children's books! One problem though, is that I can't seem to draw the same thing twice... I guess I need more practise, but I really don't see myself making pictures like that for more deadlines. Ever again.

Stippling for sure is my favourite ( and scumbling ). What's 'small-time framed sales'?
The Muk... I didn't intend for it to be a Muk... but I totally see it as one! XD I really don't enjoy Acrylic. That's honestly my best painting! XD The red-monster-muk-thing was actually inspired by an I Spy book picture, where there was a whole bunch of collage monsters. It looked fun to paint a colourful monster, so I decided to try it out! :-P
Thanks Lumi! :-D
100% autistic

494 Reviews

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:39 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I've started on water colours, and I'm enjoying quite a lot! Here's some fun sketches:

( Sorry if this flower one is too watered down )

I had fun with this one! ^_^

This is my favourite so far... I tried the same idea in pen and ink. The pen and ink one turned out more realistic... but I like this one better in some ways.
100% autistic

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:51 am
View Likes
ThereseCricket says...

These are beautiful, Socks.

I especially loved the heart, with the fire. <3
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

494 Reviews

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:38 am
Holysocks says...

Thanks Cricket! :-P
100% autistic

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:38 pm
Sonder says...

I love them all. <3 You're very talented and creative. Don't doubt yourself.
"This world is but a canvas to our imagination."
~Thoreau

494 Reviews

Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:41 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Aww, thanks Night! :3
100% autistic

494 Reviews

Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:45 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I forgot to mention that the flaming heart is supposed to be passion. I thought about this for awhile... thinking that it was love, or even anger, but then I realized that it was passion.
100% autistic

494 Reviews

Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:02 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Of course you could look at it as heart burn, too... >.>
100% autistic

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:20 am
BluesClues says...

Yeah, your giraffe was definitely my favorite! I loved the colors, and the drawing was beautiful, and the concept is fantastic!

494 Reviews

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:09 am
Holysocks says...

Thanks so much! :-P I'm glad you like it BlueAfrica!
100% autistic

A beautiful funeral doesn't guarantee Heaven.
— Haitian Proverb