Young Writers Society

December Art & Photo Contest!

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:43 pm
View Likes
birk says...

I totally want badges too! Yay! Christmas and stuff!

This is my view from outside my family home. I like it; looks all christmas-y and big.
Spoiler! :
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:07 pm
View Likes
Dracula says...

@Birkhoff I'm extremely jealous of your family for living in such a beautiful place.
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:59 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

Photography:

Spoiler! :

Respite

Spoiler! :

Art:

Spoiler! :

Christmas card for mum~our family in the form of owls.

Spoiler! :

First year making a card for dad, our relationship isn't that great. So I opted for the neutral Holly and Ivy theme. xP.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:31 pm
View Likes
rhiasofia says...

Ok I have my art entries now!

Your head is a living forest full of song birds
~E. E. Cummings

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:46 pm
View Likes
Craz says...

My scanner isn't the best, but... viola! My non-photography entries:

Santa:
Spoiler! :

Baby Elf:
Spoiler! :

Mistletoe:
Spoiler! :
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:15 am
Lumi says...

Submissions are now closed! Judging will be completed in a few days. Hang tight!
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:55 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

The contest was a huge battle royale this year! We had all fantastic submissions, but when it came down to the wire (and the wire was lower than a limbo stick), only our victors made it through with any snow left on their noses! Let's waste no more time and get this closing ceremony underway!

Photography

Let's talk beauty! In the Photography division, Beauty was hard-fought and did not have a clear-cut winner; so an unassuming judge received weight to their input. The winner of the AP Beauty Badge is @jazzydracula!

The winner of the AP Originality Badge came to us from the southern hemisphere where the heat's bearing down on all Christmastime lovers! With the gorgeous beach shot, the winner of Originality is @Dreamy!

Next, the most difficult category to pull off: Holiday Spirit. If you were expecting a Christmastree by the fireside, then you can go home and spin your dreidel because this season's Holiday Spirit winner is @Meshugenah!

Finally, we have our overall winner--the shot that pulled off beauty, pulled off originality, and pulled off holiday spirit all with flying colors so hot it'll melt your fruitcake! The winner of the 2014 December Photography Contest is @fortis!

Art

Let's talk about art for a second. In my opinion, it's tougher than Photography in that you put in more work; you edit yourself constantly; you toil and slave over a project that could take hours upon hours to complete! But, on the other hand, photography requires poise and timing, and if you don't get the opportune moment, then your victory could slip through your fingers like melting snow. Our Beauty victor in the 2014 Art Contest is @Craz!

And if you thought originality with photography was hard, then you can deck your halls with shock and awe--because it took a full 27/30 points to pull off this win in Original Art. We promise that no judge was bribed on this one, folks, but we will admit that we all love a good comedy. Honestly, the thing that won this victory is Santa's Book of Sick Rhymes! Your winner is @fortis!

And if you weren't impressed with the Originality shot, we promise you'll be shocked--and possibly electrocuted?--by the winner of Holiday Spirit. Coming from Steampunk world with a Christmas Tree made of awesome is, one last time, @fortis!

Finally, we have our overall winner. It was hard to pull this one off, folks, and you should hoist her on your shoulders in a victory screech; the winner of the 2014 Art Contest is @rhiasofia with what struck our judges as her very own Christmas muse!

I hope you enjoyed our humble awards ceremony, and more importantly I hope you enjoyed the contest! All entries were fantastic, and it's got me thirsty for next year. Who will grab the bragging rights? Who will emerge victorious? Find out next year--no wait. Badges. I almost forgot the badges.

I'm sure you don't care about your prizes--oh? You do? Who would've guessed?

In order of Beauty, Originality, and Holiday Spirit:
ImageImageImage

I personally think Jessica Rabbit would look great on my profile. *cough* And your grand prize badge for @fortis and @rhiasofia iiiiiiiis:

So happy end-of-year, YWS! Take some time to love on your friends on your way out.
Lumi

p.s. A special shout-out goes up to my two co-judges @Omniclysm and @Holofernes (however long he'll keep that username). Show them some love!
-Shinji Moon

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:50 pm
Iggy says...

Congrats to all the winners! :)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:08 pm
EscaSkye says...

That Olaf Badge is so cute! Congrats to the winners! :D
Not anymore.

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:16 am
Dracula says...

When do we get our pretty badges??
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:16 am
Lumi says...

@jazzydracula: I put together the final list tonight, so your badges should be out within the week!
-Shinji Moon

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:19 am
Zolen says...

Hm, I almost offered something, but i ran out of time when I had to also draw two things for the secret santa thing, when I thought I would only have to do one.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

I like anchovies~ but nobody calls me that.
— alliyah