z

Young Writers Society

CC's Art Corner ^_^

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:04 am
View Likes
wakarimasen says...

Greetings, YWS-lings! Thank you for stopping by!

I'm an amateur, self-taught graphics artist, among other things. One of my hobbies has been designing "cover art" for Figment users, and I was able to put my skills to use when I self-published my novelette last summer with a "real" cover. Right now, I'm just using this thread to show off some pieces from my portfolio, but I might be able to take requests in the future. (We'll see what happens.) Here are some of my latest attempts at awesomeness. It's up to you to determine if I've succeeded. :)

The following are some X-Men-related projects I designed:

X23 Girl Jackman.png
X23 Girl Jackman.png (242.04 KiB) Viewed 270 times

(Image sources: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3383794432/tt0290334?ref_=ttmi_mi_all_evt_86, http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1916122112/nm0424060?ref_=nm_ov_ph)
I'd heard that while filming the second X-Men movie, Hugh Jackman (the guy who plays Logan/Wolverine) had to pile a head of long hair underneath a Wolverine wig for a few scenes, because he was growing it out for another movie. (Shouldn't it be the other way around?) When I came across a picture attesting to this bizarre fact, I couldn't help but have a little fun with Ribbet.com's photo-editing capabilities and see if I could design what X-23 (Wolverine's female clone) might look like in real life. :smt003

Without looking at the image sources, can you guess which celebrity I borrowed some facial features from?

X-23 YWS.png
X-23 YWS.png (60.82 KiB) Viewed 270 times

This is a cover I made for an X-Men story I'm co-writing with two other YWS-ers. To create the big, silver X, I used Cooltext.com, and added in the other details using Ribbet. Alas, I cannot recall the source for the claw picture. :( It was probably from an eBay or Amazon listing for replica claw props. If I find it again, I will update this post with the URL.

X-23 v4.png
X-23 v4.png (180.85 KiB) Viewed 270 times

(Image source: http://marvel.com/universe3zx/index.php?title=File:X23001_cov.jpg&filetimestamp=20061213002225)
Here's a new version that I designed today, when I discovered the picture of X-23 by chance. I had a lot of fun with this one. :)

Well, that's all for now. Next time, I'll share some comics I made using Bitstrips. :)

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:54 am
View Likes
Rook says...

'm an amateur, self-taught graphics artist, among other things. One of my hobbies has been designing "cover art" for Figment users, and I was able to put my skills to use when I self-published my novelette last summer with a "real" cover.

*double high-fives for amateur self-taught graphics artist and "cover art" for Figment users.*
That's how I started!
Keep it up, it looks great!
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:36 pm
View Likes
IamTraunt says...

Great designs, CC! (@Nightcrawler) - amazing work, lovely!
Before you judge me...
Make sure you're perfect.

"Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.”
― Mark Twain

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:07 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

Ah, I did not see that notif @IamTraunt. These look awesome, CC! Great job! :D
"This world is but a canvas to our imagination."
~Thoreau

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:11 pm
View Likes
wakarimasen says...

I know I said my next post would be about comics, but I've yet to go through my old folder of those....

In the meantime, here are some pictures I drew on my mobile device with an app called Sketchbook Express. Naturally, they're X-Men. :P (I do have other fandoms, don't worry....)

The app had a variety of virtual "paintbrushes" and "pencils," but neither my stylus or finger could produce adequate facial features, so I went with a spray can style brush and drew these blurry things. Just use your imagination for the more intricate details. :)

Sketch44124855.jpg

This one was supposed to be of X-23, but it wasn't turning out quite the way I wanted. So I figured, what the heck, I'll draw Rogue in the style of her cinematic incarnation. ("We love what you've done with your hair!")

Sketch44133523.jpg

This is Storm in the style of her X-Men: The Animated Series incarnation. I think of these pictures I've done, this is my favorite. :)

This last one is of Jean Grey as the Phoenix. I had loads of fun doing her hair billowing out behind her. (It looks like a giant Wolverine hairstyle, lol.)

Hope you enjoyed my latest artistic exploits!

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
— Thomas Edison