z

Young Writers Society

Adventures in GIMP

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:32 am
Asteria says...

Just as the title suggests, these are character banners that I've done during my exploration of GIMP. I'm, by no means, an expert so be advised...some of these banners may look garish.

P.S- I've saved you the trouble of my oldest works, so you'll only have to see what's been recently created, going up from there.

P.P.S- Though I've also got avatars for each set, I'll only be posting the banners.

- - - -

"When tempest tossed, embrace chaos."
--Dean Koontz

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:30 am
Lumi says...

These are nice, and I think they probably reflect strong character traits for each respective character--even though I don't know anything about them yet. Personally, playing around in Photoshop and stock models is a huge way I get inside a character's head, so I imagine these brought your material that much more to life, yeah? The best of them are the ones with the lowest saturation--as goopy saturation makes for an amateurish product. In general, though, they're all decent. Assuming you committed the shadowing yourself, my favorite is the second. It may be a common image concept, but it's well-done.

♥ Lumi
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:58 am
Asteria says...

Thank you for the feedback.

I actually didn't do anything to the saturation on the images. What I tend to do is cut out the model in question (of which, not all are mine; I do requests for people on another site), and find or create a background color palette I wish to work with based on the initial image. From there, I play up or play down the colors adding in shadows and playing with the levels overall, adding contrast to some while taking it away in others. *shrugs*

Nolan's banner, the one you chose as your favorite, is actually a character of @Eferhilda. He was--possibly still is?--dealing with two sides of a personality in conflict with each other, so I decided to make a literal statement of such with the shadowing/negative reflection on the left side of the banner.
"When tempest tossed, embrace chaos."
--Dean Koontz

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.
— Sir James Dewar, Scientist