z

Young Writers Society

Nano topics

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:22 pm
lostthought says...

I wasn't able attend any of the workshops and I can't think of any big topic for nano.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:19 am
yubbies21 says...

It's probably a little late to plan now...since it starts in two days...
beep

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:30 am
Lumi says...

Given how late it is, you probably want to avoid things like fantasy or sci-fi--things that require world-building. But if you continuously brainstorm into a quick outline (say a 50-point outline) and write 1000 words about each point, you can succeed with a normal "average Joe" story with no problem!

Think of kids going to a summer camp, the possibilities of what could change in their lives. Boarding schools, action & adventure. The possibilities are impossible to narrow down.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:30 am
EloquentDragon says...

Hah hah! Not so!

@lostthought, believe it or not a lot of people actually start NaNo without any firm, good, solid ideas in mind before they start writing. The first year I did it, I pretty much started with a random first line and allowed the story to evolve from there. (Some people have even started with "once upon a time." Extra kudos for originality there. ;) )There are plenty of generators out there that can help you come up with maybe just a couple of words to serve as the seed of an idea.

What kinds of books do you like to read? You should try and write in that genre. This month is going to be crazy enough as-is, it's nice to spend it on something you enjoy.

On the NaNoWriMo site itself, there is an "adoption" forum where people go to abandon unused character, plot, etc. That might also be a good place to start.

A lot of good ideas are "what if" scenarios. Think about any movie, TV show, comic, or book you've encountered. Basically, you can sum all of them up in a "what if" question. (What if a farmboy must defeat an evil galactic empire? [star wars] What if a nanny could fly and carried a magic carpet bag? [Mary Poppins] What if a professor travelled through time using an old police boothe? [uh...])

The keyword here is basic. It must be something you can work with. It has to be relatable and (in the beginning, anyway) simple enough so you won't start worrying about nit-picks.

Please check out the NaNoWriMo forum on this site, @Sparkofdoubt has written several excellent articles that will be, no doubt, of great help to you.

Remember though, no plot? No problem.

Don't be afraid to ask us any questions, good luck!
~ED
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:37 pm
lostthought says...

I'll try to do a suspense, horror kind of theme

Airplane crashes, Ship Wrecks, Small town murders, and tornados. 4 survivors from each diaster, only to die what have survived from later on....
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:27 pm
EloquentDragon says...

Sounds good!
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

"Be yourself" is not advice. It's an existential crisis waiting to happen.
— Hank Green