z

Young Writers Society

Official Word Wars

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:05 pm
Rydia says...

So NaNoWriMo is under full swing and I'm sure some of you (like me) are behind on word count. Or maybe you just want to push yourself to the very boundaries of your sanity. Either way, it's time to kick off the official word wars again.

What is NaNoWriMo?

In brief, NaNo is where crazy people decide they can write 50,000 words in one month. That month being November, which is now! It's not too late to join in though, all you need is a novel idea (or not in some cases) and a healthy avoidance of sleep and you're good to go.

Go here for more information or to sign up to the event!

What is a word war?

A word war is where a group of people meet in chat and they see who can write the most words in a set amount of time. It doesn't have to be just for NaNo either. Some people word war their novels and others their homework, it really doesn't matter! People will set a time to start at, say 3:15 and then decide to go for 15 minutes so at 3:30 everyone will put their pens down and do a quick word count. The winner gets bragging rights and more story written. But everyone comes away with extra words so it's a win win!

What do you mean by 'official?'

These ones are official because they're being run by your one and only Lit Misc. Crew. This also means that there are going to be prizes. There are three days on which the word wars will be run and one prize for each day, the prize being that I will personally read and give advice on your NaNo project. It will not be an extensive review pointing out all your grammar mistakes because we all know how rough a NaNo can be, but by the end of January I will send you a few pages of general comments on plot holes, characters and how well the novel works as a whole.

So how do you get pronounced the winner of these events then? Shush you, I was getting there. Basically, on each of the three days, there will be a series of four 20 minute word wars. After each one, I will record how many words each participant has written and at the end of all four, I will total everyone's word counts. The winner is whoever wrote the most average words. This means that even if you only participate in two word wars, you could still win!

How do I take part?

Just turn up. I'll be in main chat to start and when we hit the time of the word war, I'll announce it and encourage everyone to move across to chat room A. Should you come late though, just go straight to chat room A and join in!

Dates and Times

You're going to want to add these dates to the calendar so that you don't forget!

Tues 15th 10:00pm GMT
Sat 26th 08:00pm GMT
Tues 29th 11:00am GMT

Each will run for about 2 hours.

Can I organise my own word war?

Sure! You can start them off in chat any time you're there or if you want to make it more official, just drop me a pm and I'll gladly help with advertising and stuff.

I hope to see some of you there!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:44 pm
JabberHut says...

FFFFFFFFFFFFF OMG.

Yes, please. :]
I make my own policies.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:34 pm
Blues says...

I would SO participate. I love word wars. But I can't do any - all of them are late for GMT and Tuesday's school... unless I bunk it ;)

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:35 pm
Twit says...

Dude, sweet.

So wait, each war is two hours? So that means writing for two straight hours? o_O
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:44 pm
Rydia says...

No, the word wars are twenty mins each but because there will be breaks in between, the session itself will run for just under two hours.

Also, I'm going to make one of those earlier in that case to try and get a better range of times so more people can take in!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:48 pm
tinny says...

Excite!
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:00 pm
Skorpionne says...

Prepare for some epic losng on my part! ;D
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:17 pm
Blues says...

8 PM's great! I hope I can do that. (As long as the X factor doesn't distract me.)

Pain is filtered in a poem so that it becomes finally, in the end, pleasure.
— Mark Strand