z

Young Writers Society

Title Trouble

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:02 am
Flemzo says...

So, I figure since I'm doing NaNo this year (hooray for losing my NaNoginity!), the NaNo board would be a good place to get help with this:

I have my NaNo basic idea (based on a recurring dream I'm currently having), I have an idea about my characters, and I'm pretty much ready to go. However, I'm having trouble with getting a title.

I'm thinking it'll be cool to have a title in a foreign/dead language. The title will be the name of the building that my characters will be walking into, so basically, I need the name of this building. I'm thinking something along the lines of dreams and dying, and I'm thinking of a list of English titles, then translating them into various languages and seeing which one is best. I'm leaning toward Latin, because the phrase under the name of the building is, in Latin, "Ut Somnium Est Morior" meaning, "To Dream Is To Die".

My short list thus far:
-- The House of Dream's End
-- Dream's Silent Vengance (not sure what I was getting at here)
-- Death's Door
-- The House of Deadly Dreams
-- Factory of Death/Dreams

They suck, yes, but I figure I have until about November First to finalize anything. Any suggestions would be great!

Also, now that I think about it, a really good English title would be great, too. Again, I have until November First to decide!

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:27 am
Gadi. says...

I think you should have a fairly light title because the story sounds... well, VERY deep. (What is it about?)

Do you have a symbol? That would help!

Here are some of my thoughts:
* the best ones *

A Cradle Death *
Dreams Passed Away
Nightmare Heaven
Dream Heaven
Sleep, Dream, Die
Dream and Die *
Afraid of Death
Dreamy yet Dead
A Long, Long Dream*
Sleeping in the Tomb
Paradise
Dreams are Mortal Too
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

201 Reviews

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:38 am
Flemzo says...

Basic plot line: A group of kids, randomly wandering around town with nothing to do, stumble upon this building. Ingrigued, they enter, hoping to have some fun. What awaits them inside isn't fun, but rather a fight for survival (back cover teaser, anyone?)

The "symbol" in this is "crossing the line", as in, this house they walk into has many displays, and the things behind the displays are very complacent, until you cross a bright red line. Then they turn on you, start attacking, and if you don't get back behind the line, you will die.

Like I said, this is based on a recurring dream, so there may be many symbols, but I have no idea what they mean. I'll mainly be writing what I see and hear (I'm a very intense dreamer: i see, feel, smell, and hear everything going on in my dream. The only thing that I don't do is taste... not sure why that is...)

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:42 am
October Girl says...

Uh.... I dunno..... hm...... okay... here are some of my thoughts.

*Stupid... but work with me here!!!*

-A Touch of Death.
-The Whisper of a Ghost
-Roses are Red, but so is Blood.
-An Immortal's promise
-Imprinted
-They Wake
-The Glares of the Dark one's
-Dream a Little Dream
-The break through line

Sorry, all I got.... I know their pretty stupid. But hey Can't blame a girl for trying. Sorry that's all I could come up with. Good Luck with it though.

-Max
We're meant to be one
I know we are...
If I am the Sky
Then you are my star... ™

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:46 pm
bubblewrapped says...

Hmm. Sounds interesting. My suggestions:

Thin Red Line
Dead Dreams
Dreams for the Dead/Dying
Where Dreams End
The Dream Factory
Crossing Over
This Sleep of Death
To Die, To Sleep
Quietus*

Reminds me of that quote from Hamlet;

"To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: aye, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause."

* Latin meaning is sleep, but has English connotations of death.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

201 Reviews

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:43 pm
Flemzo says...

... I now feel compelled to quote Hamlet in this. We'll see where I go with this.

That's for suggestions, guys. I really like "Quietus", but there's still a while to go.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:06 am
bubblewrapped says...

LOL You're welcome :)
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

Random avatar

Reviews: 33
Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:09 am
Barrio says...

The Deathly Hallows!

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:11 pm
Lini-chan says...

That's a good idea to do the phrase in Latin! I translated my title to Latin and it sounds so much more dignified and cool:

Ancient Wings - Altus Pennae

Only the suppressed word is dangerous.
— Ludwig Borne