z

Young Writers Society

that 2nd week slump

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:47 pm
Emerson says...

What are you doing to fix this?

My biggest problem is I have several scenes that, in plain honesty, are horrible and do nothing except move the plot along because I hate where I am in the story and want to get to the next point. I really think everything is happening too fast....

Anyway. How is your slump coming, and how do you fix it?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:05 pm
Cassandra says...

My slump is coming lovely, thank you. ;)

Um, yeah. I'm done, but I still don't feel like writing any more. Which is bad. So I'm outlining a lot more and doing the thing I did before November started, where I talked into my camera, which can record audio. I just talk about ideas I have and stuff, a kind of verbal outlining, and I just figured out the next seven chapters or so. It was awesome. O.O
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:27 pm
Emerson says...

that sounds fun cass though a little crazy... So your the kind of person who talks to themselves? lol
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:01 am
Firestarter says...

I had a slump where I was hitting my targets each day, but quickly regained it and managed to finish -- although I have had lots of time, so my real target is to hit 75k + now.

To fix it, I had to seriously just push myself and make up some bad scenes that I will probably cut later. In comparison to you, Claud, I think my story is going too slow but in the last few scenes, I sped it up too fast probably.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:30 am
Crysi says...

Did you see the first NaNoism I posted? That's pretty much how I deal with a scene that doesn't inspire me, lol. If I don't feel like typing it, I know that it'll just drain my time and energy trying to make it work. So I either write gibberish or put together a quick transition sentence and move on to the next scene. Dares always help, too.

To be honest, though, I haven't really had a problem with Week 2. I think I'm just so driven to finish that I'm easily bribed. For instance, I had ONE Take 5 bar in my Halloween candy stash. I was at 15,000 words when it started looking good. I didn't let myself have it until I reached 20,000. Create little bribes for yourself, and see if that works.
Love and Light

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:31 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I don't know that I slumped, but this weekend was killer. I was out of town and was having to do everything by hand which really ruined my flow. Well, the hand writing and the fact that I really couldn't get a spot where no one would interrupt me. I still haven't typed up how much I wrote, but I'm sure the word count is going to be low. *growls* I've got a lot of work to do.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:29 pm
Sam says...

Ah, Crysi, you're very inspiring...*is dying to cut key plot scenes and insert- 'Pickles and Muffins'* :wink:

Slump? I just stop writing, and eventually I sit down and it flows. I'm weird like that.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:02 am
Kel says...

I've been in a slump since the middle of week one. :( So I'm going to see if hanging out at my old workplace (a coffeeshop) will help any. It always inspired me before, but business had picked up. So I'm going to go as a customer this time.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:42 am
Crysi says...

I FINALLY just got through my slump. Yeah, I guess I posted too early back then, lol - I had a terrible time these past few days. I just did NOT want to write.

Well, I wrote over 2,500 words today, and I'm not done yet. Strikard decided to spill his life story to Kiens, which was very interesting. Also, I have a captain with a 50 word name. ;)

How'd I get through it? I just told myself I needed to write. There was ONE day where I did not write a single word. That was depressing. But I forced myself to add, even if I only wrote a sentence. The key is to keep going. Don't worry about wordcount - when you get inspired, you'll make it up. Just keep working at it until you get to that part you really want to have fun with. For instance, about 5 important things just came up in Strik's conversation with Kiens, although I'm sure only one or two will be recognized until the reader gets more clues.

Good luck!! We're technically in Week 3 now, so keep at it - you're almost there!
Love and Light

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:05 am
yoha_ahoy says...

I haven't been able to write for a while with play practice taking up all my time! But after Friday, I should be able to regain some word count once the performances are over. But as of now... I'm at a whimpy looking 19k. :( I'm very depressed. Heh.
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:12 am
Kel says...

My slump must be over, too, for now. I wrote about 5000 words today!
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
— Obi-Wan Kenobi