z

Young Writers Society

Writer's Block

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:16 am
Snoink says...

Yeah... writer's block can happen. So try to do something about it!

Keep on asking yourself, what happens next? So if you find yourself stuck on one particular scene, don't think about the stuck scene. Flail through it, but instead of thinking about how bad the scene sucks, think about how good the next scene wil be.

If you get really stuck and hate the scene completely, try adding more conflict. For instance, and I know this sounds really weird, but adding a little violence and/or sexual tension to a scene can make you want to write it more and can help it come out sooner. Maybe it'll be completely random later, when you reread it, but Nanowrimo is about word count. You're not going for quality... you're going for quanity.

Best of luck! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:18 am
Sam says...

Ooh! Can I contribute, Snoinkus?

...I'm going to take that as a yes.

In the past few days, I've found that it's much easier to get that feel-good, several thousand words in a sitting flow going when you jot down the basic structure of the scene you're about to write. If you've got a basic idea, write what happens in succession and flesh it out a little before you actually write- it helps knowing the basic idea of what you're about to pull out of thin air.

And it'll end up more coherent...maybe?
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:19 pm
Cassandra says...

This will be usefull once I pass chapter eleven, because after that, my outlining goes bye-bye.

Hee hee. That will be interesting...
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:04 pm
The Jesseble says...

I usually jot notes down on a regular basis when i think of a good idea. Problem is that most of my 'ideas' don't relate to the story but then as snoink says 'quanity not quality' heh!

Another little hint...if you do get stuck, don't push yourself for ideas. take a break, walk around a bit, eat pie..whatever :P. then when you come back to it moments later, the pressure won't be as bad and it'll flow out of you like a river!!
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:20 pm
Kel says...

Jesseble is totally right.

When hubby's stuck, he goes to play FFXII or Disgaea 2. When I'm stuck, I cook something or draw. I do anything totally unrelated to the plot at hand.

When I come back, I can usually write. If not, I end that scene and cut to another.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:49 pm
RoxanneR says...

I don't really bother to plan much, but when I do it's just quick notes about the characters and plot, but nothing too major. I just let the creative juices flow and everything just comes rushing out.

RR*
Want a faithful critique? PM me!

Luv RR*

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green