z

Young Writers Society

NaNo 19 - All At Once

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:38 am
keystrings says...

Alright, so, I've got the urge to do NaNo this year even with my college classes, but we might as well try our hardest, right? My idea this year has been crafted over like the past week only, so things will certainly get muddied and confused. I'm kind of looking forward to the mess this could make though? Maybe it's a side of me that shouldn't see the light of day. I mean, I've even made a playlist for this idea, which is a really weird blend of alternative stuff and everything else, but I think it fits just fine.

✣ -- ✣
The Story Idea

Keilana Amrie grew up with little more than a quiet house and her only friend, Iridium Munoz, a girl that she admittedly never knew much about, but she didn’t really care when she was a kid. When Keila turns eighteen, she finds a collection of notes, all signed by a single “S”, describing a place where nothing seems real and she can’t understand anything at all. The weirdest part is that these random details start to appear in her world, a mannerism held by some matron is mimicked by her mother, or Irid talks about something that had never happened in their world. As time passes, Keila doesn’t know what to think about how these lines are slowly being pulled together between what she views is fiction and what she views as the real world. Her latest discovery, about how she is really involved with this thing, may be her last.

I figured if I made this thread, it would hold me more accountable to keep this updated by the daily and really try to keep up with the word count even if I fall behind sometime. Good luck to everyone who's participating!

✣ -- ✣
Last Notes

Last NaNo, I got through I think eight days at around 15k, so if 50k sounds too lofty for me, then for sure I want to stay alive longer than a sole week. At least 20k - 30k would be a great start, especially since I think I've got this planned out fairly well for at least the first few "main" arcs. Honestly, I've only really tried to plan out a single novel like this before, but I hope it works out. That reminds me that I've got the plot of a fantasy ya novel somewhere in my math folder from last year XD

I'm also going to leave the link to Word crawls here so I have that as a quick reference.

I think this will be the last thing I really add to this starting post as I'm quite excited to be starting NaNo this year even though I'm taking harder classes at college, but eh. I like being busy apparently. Good luck to all that are doing NaNo this year!
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:05 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

Ohhhhh, this sounds so fascinating and intriguing. It'll be super fun to write, I think, when exploring a world full of magic and mystery like what you have set up here.

Best of luck!! Any words is better than no words! :D
I make my own policies.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:24 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

I'm in LOVE with your concept! I love mysteries and playing around with reality so I'm already a huge fan of the story idea you've laid out here! Good luck this year!!
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

414 Reviews

Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:36 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

✣ -- ✣
Day One

✣ -- ✣
Pre-writing notes:
I stayed up until midnight to start writing, even if it's just a few hundred words, because I am e x c i t e d to write. I just want to get into things with fingers a-blazing so I get a little confidence under my belt that I *can* actually write the same thing for a month.

✣ -- ✣
Mid-writing notes:
-I am starting with the Hamilton Word Crawl linked here.
-With 500 words past midnight, I'm headed off to bed, will start writing again sometime later XD.
-I'm doing the 15 minute sprint which was spent more as a time to drink tea and figure out how to continue the scene, but I'm at least getting some more words in, and I'm jamming out to the song. Whoops.
-I've hit 1000! Woo. Sprinted to the first 1k, just in time for lunch and finishing up my tea.
-Took a break for computer updates and writing notes for my bio test next week, then ate a snack, and exercised :K
-Had to write more notes, but I'm finally done with the study guide.
-And I reached 1729 with an hour and a half to spare for the night E: Alright. Seven songs done with for the word crawl. Looking forward to start again.

✣ -- ✣
Favorite Quote:
All she can really do is read, which is the sole joy she has in this house. Her bookcase takes up an entire wall in her room, trailing from the floor to the ceiling

-Mostly because I got to write about a bookcase, and even made a Pinterest to get ideas for what the bookcase looks like XD

✣ -- ✣
Day One Word Count: 1729
Word Count Goal: 1729/50000

414 Reviews

Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:13 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

✣ -- ✣
Day Two

✣ -- ✣
Pre-writing notes:
-I've still got a lot of studying to do for my classes and SBs to write for, but I want to get in some words today <.<

✣ -- ✣
Mid-writing notes:
-So, I realized I was just playing the Hamilton songs and not really writing much at all?
-But I've gotten my way to 906 within a few on-and-off minutes of typing and I'm setting up the first kinda big scene??? go real human interaction.
-Now I'm trying with the Walking Dead Word Crawl where I rolled I was Daryl
-E: Fun times ahead.
-Cranked out a few words to open the first *big* scene, as in human interaction.
-Took quite a long break due to having a snack, helping with yard work, a shower, dinner, and a walk. Oope.
-Alright, now I'm back for the neat future until the end of the day :}
-I've hit 3000, woo. And am just playing music on Spotify in the background to get through some more words.
-Woo! Hit 3484 words, which is right over what I need for the daily goal. I'll try to do more of this word crawl tomorrow. ^^

✣ -- ✣
Favorite Quote:
But then again, she always raises her expectation far too high and has to wait for the truth to weigh down her hopes.

-I'm really making myself like something that I'm writing, so I kind of like this sort-of-metaphor? Also, writing in present tense is w e i r d but I'm trying to do something different :E

✣ -- ✣
Day Two Word Count: 1755
Word Count Goal: 3484/50000

414 Reviews

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:47 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

✣ -- ✣
Day Three

✣ -- ✣
Pre-writing notes:
-Alright, so I gotta sleep in a bit, and I've been doing other stuff for most of this morning, oops. I'll try to sneak in a few hundred words while my parents are out.

✣ -- ✣
Mid-writing notes:
-Still rolling with the Walking Dead Word Crawl where I rolled I was Daryl.
-Wrote the hundred words since I rolled a 9. Now I need to write 500 words because there are too many walkers :E
-And now I'll be trying to make a bad dash for over a thousand words tonight because I've had a busy and tiring day, only to need a whole lot more time to write.
-Wow, alright I cut that reallllly close, but I've hit 5k! Night time for me now XD
-I literally just watched a few heartbreaking videos on YouTube and stalled for time until it was nearly too late, but then I turned on Spotify and wrote until I hit the next goal.

✣ -- ✣
Favorite Quote:
Either people are making up for lost time, or things are quickly escalating. A sinking feeling inside tells her that the more plausible reason is the latter.

-One of the last things I typed up tonight, but I tried getting a more nervous tone to Keila's thoughts here. I think it worked alright for a rush of typing E:

✣ -- ✣
Day Three Word Count: 1756
Word Count Goal: 5240/50000

414 Reviews

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:37 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

✣ -- ✣
Day Four

✣ -- ✣
Pre-writing notes:
-Yikes, I haven't had time to write all day today, so I'm gonna be stress writing tonight.

✣ -- ✣
Mid-writing notes:
-Still rolling with the Walking Dead Word Crawl where I rolled I was Daryl. XD
-I finished the first part to this word crawl above, after getting 750 words finally done. That was a good chunk to get through, and I don't absolutely hate it? :K
-I got this done before my snack time with the parents, but getting almost halfway done in like a 15 minute sprint was a nice relief. A stressful, but nice relief.
-Alright, here we go again, I got some gaming tracks playing on Spotify to hopefully get me to finish at a decent time for bedtime E:
-Woo! I reached my goal with a little while to go, so that makes me happy. I did a couple of word sprints these last couple of hours which really helped a lot, but now I'm leery about the quality XD oh well. I made it!

✣ -- ✣
Favorite Quote:
There’s something linking Keila to her, but she’s a little hesitant about what it will mean in the future.

-I wrote this right at the end of the word sprint, but I at least think I'm doing an ok job in developing Keila, even though she started as a pretty simple character.

✣ -- ✣
Day Four Word Count: 1721
Word Count Goal: 6961/50000

414 Reviews

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:29 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

✣ -- ✣
Day Five

✣ -- ✣
Pre-writing notes:
-OK, good news is that I'm starting to write a few hours earlier, bad news is that I've still got a lab report to finish for my chem class. Ooope. Maybe I can crank out a few words for each before my next bio class.

✣ -- ✣
Mid-writing notes:
-Turned on random music, I've got forty-five minutes to write something. Let's see if I get anything out of this time :E
-Alright, I wrote for 15 minutes, got a nice chunk of words from that, since I couldn't stop typing for like five seconds, I think, on this fabulous website.
-Did another ten minute sprint on there, got another solid amount of words done. I'm up to the average I need, but the NaNo site suggests a couple more hundred words, so I might do that if I can work more on my lab report.
-I've got a Leather Gauntlet for my efforts, which cool. Alright, today was a slightly lower day, but since I managed to be slightly over the first four days, that's helped a lot. Signing off for now.
✣ -- ✣
Favorite Quote:
Keila wishes for nothing else to be away from this man and even to forget the possible threats he was making towards her family.

-I am trying my best to send in little hints as to what's really going on with this family and Keila in general, but I'm hoping I'm not being super obvious of like *magical powers* woo. I guess I'll see when I'm done with this draft lol.

✣ -- ✣
Day Five Word Count: 1515
Word Count Goal: 8476/50000

414 Reviews

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:46 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

✣ -- ✣
Day Six

✣ -- ✣
Pre-writing notes:
-I am crying because I spent part of last night writing the lab report but it wasn't even due today >:( and I haven't even been able to write today until the last three hours of the night (even less than that) so great. I might be in a hard place.

✣ -- ✣
Mid-writing notes:
-Inventory for Word Crawl: Leather Gauntlet
-Since I'm squeezed for time, I'm gonna have to do a couple of word sprints (10-15 minutes probably) and make sure I can't stop typing.
-Ten minute sprint got a nice chunk of words. Maybe I can panic less then my MC is right now :E poor girl.
-Got some more words in and I've barely hit 10! Whoop. I'm super worried these words are trash though lol. I only need a few hundred more, then I'm back to studying.
-Alright I'm done. Finally. Had to another 15 minute sprint which nearly killed me, but I got a good word count thanks to it :K listening to music helped. I'm off to sleep.

✣ -- ✣
Favorite Quote:
Even while eating, she feels drained, like the weight of the day has fallen on her back. Keila can only hope she’ll feel better once this is over.

-I think I like this quote because I am also feeling quite tired XD I'm managing things alright though, I think, for now XD Also I've added a bit of *plot* so that's good.
-I've hit 10k! Which is exciting. ^^

✣ -- ✣
Day Six Word Count: 2080
Word Count Goal: 10556/50000

414 Reviews

Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:06 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

✣ -- ✣
Day Seven

✣ -- ✣
Pre-writing notes:
-I've got one last bio test for my second class tonight, and hopefully I'll be able to write a whole lot afterwards cause I'll be studying a lot ;;; :K

✣ -- ✣
Mid-writing notes:
-Inventory for Word Crawl: Leather Gauntlet
-Alright, did a 10 minute word sprint, got a few decent words done. I got more than 300 words, so I get to bring my weapons into battle against the walkers. Oh goodie. :E
-Woo today is going a little slow because I'm tired from taking a quiz and a test earlier, and I got some bad news about my schooling :*) but that's alright and I should be doing more words and not fewer.
-Did another ten minute word sprint, hit the average words I need, and I might call it a night. XD it's early but I'm tired and I'd rather mess around on the internet instead of forcing myself to write more.
-I randomly gave my MC a bird friend, so there's that at least.

✣ -- ✣
Favorite Quote:
When she opens the small frame, she gets a handful of a small flying creature, of sorts, which startles the heck out of her. Since when is she Cinderella? That’s not even her favorite Disney princess!

Keila peeks down at her fingers, where a little fluff ball sits, apparently relaxed in its new position.

-I had to give a peek at the newly acquired bird friend! because apparently I'm incapable of trying to have plot happen without bringing in animals I know anything about? Uh, alright me. E:
✣ -- ✣
Day Seven Word Count: 1246
Word Count Goal: 11802/50000

Your presence can give happiness. I hope you remember that.
— Jin, BTS