z

Young Writers Society

Who's ready for NaNoWriMo?

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:52 pm
View Likes
yoha_ahoy says...

Sign ups for National Novel Writing Month 2010 won't be open until October, but when they are you can find them at http://www.nanowrimo.org. Expectant writers begin planning what they want their 50,000 word novels to be about. But Higher Deity forbid that you should write any of it down before midnight of October 31st, because the NaNo rules only allow 30 full days of furious writing during the month of November. So be prepared for lack of food, overdose of caffeine and late nights trying to get in that extra 1,000 words, because NaNoWriMo 2016 is coming!

Alrighty, let's break this down. Vets of NaNo, you know the shpeal. Newcomers and those of you still thinking about it can step into my office and hear the details. NaNoWriMo (stands for National Novel Writing Month) is an awesomely crazy, yet highly rewarding 30 day period in which your goal is to write 50,000 words of semi-coherent sentences, preferably forming some sort of story. We are not looking for perfection. Spelling and grammar can go out the window. Perfect plot lines can too. Characters can go insane at the romantic climax, and yes... you can kill off your main character if they get annoying. My point is, the goal is quantity, not quality.

Moving on... to split this up a bit, 50K breaks down to 1,667 words a day. That is approximately three pages in a size 12 font. If you think you can do that easily, try setting a higher goal. Or get ahead on weekends, and save up for those nights when you have too many previously planned obligations to get a chance to sit down and write. In other words, customize this NaNo to fit to you personally.

A great tip, is to bring your friends into this. They're great at nagging you about your word count and to tell you when you've had enough caffeine for the day. Feel free to also return the favor to them! They'll thank you for it in the end. Speaking of the end! Once you reach your goal, whether it be 25K, the regular 50K or maybe even 100K; you'll feel great. Don't be surprised if you're unusually giddy come December 1st and you burst out randomly laughing or you start telling strangers about your noveling experience or detailed explanations about your crazy plot that went nowhere you expected it to. It's pretty normal for all of us.

So, the checkered flag is ready. Are you?

If anyone has questions, feel free to PM me! And you can add me on the NaNo site. My username is the same as here: yoha_ahoy
Last edited by yoha_ahoy on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:53 pm
Firestarter says...

I'm not ready! But I'm still excited.

I totally forgot this forum existed ...
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:56 pm
View Likes
Duskglimmer says...

I am so ready... *is jumping up and down* I have all my characters and plotoutlines and my settings and *rambles on for a while*

The only way I'm not ready is all the stuff that I have to have done before I can really dig in (i.e. college applications, application essays, schoolwork, etc. etc.)

*sighs* I wish October were over already.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:02 am
Cassandra says...

Well, I just figured out what I'll be writing about last night, but I've been bookmarking some sites for research today, plus I signed up. I'm so excited!

Mostly I want to get an idea of where my plot is going and get my characters fleshed out a bit before November starts. After that, only time will tell! :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

387 Reviews

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:18 am
yoha_ahoy says...

I totally just added on a crap-load of stuff after you guys posted. :D Haha!

But I am so not ready. This will be the sequel of my first NaNo Novel and it's going into the 3rd book, but i have NO CLUE what to do with it. There's so much that could happen.... Arg. Well good luck to you guys!
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:51 am
Emerson says...

I need more help plotting >< (Yes, I'm plotting a head of time) I at least have to outline an over view, otherwise, I'll get stuck at one point and won't finish, which would be very depressing.

I am just. so. EXCITED! This was all I could talk about, all day. I was like jumping up and down and shaking and flinging myself around being hyper. My only explanation is "so much stuff is going to happen soon!" which is true. (Now I'm going to ramble about what else is coming up in my life...)

Thursday is my boyfriends birthday, saturday is Home Coming, then not much except novel planning! Then the NaNo starts, and I'm going to be writing like crazy. I'm not sure what day it is, but late in Nov. I'm going to be ditching school and driving to Tulsa, OK for a Blue Man Group concert. I told my dad he'd need to bring his note book, because its NaNoWriMo. He said he would :-D

Oh, and I forgot, I have to raise my Algebra and Chemistry grade. but school is so second place when it comes to writing.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:20 am
Cassandra says...

Claudette wrote:I need more help plotting >< (Yes, I'm plotting a head of time) I at least have to outline an over view, otherwise, I'll get stuck at one point and won't finish, which would be very depressing.

^ My life...

:D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:49 am
View Likes
Skye says...

I'm really seat of the pants, so we'll see what comes out on November 1st, eh?

I'm so excited!! :D
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

387 Reviews

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:25 am
yoha_ahoy says...

Oh man... my schedule for November just got crazy. For the first half I'll be doing hours of dress rehersal for the play I'm in and then performing it. Wahhh! I have a feeling I'll be playing "catch-up" the second half of the month. *sigh*
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:28 am
Ares says...

Nanowrimo sounds great, I dunno how I'd evr find the time though...

387 Reviews

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:45 am
View Likes
yoha_ahoy says...

Make the time!!! I don't have any time either!!! Just do it! You'll thank me in the end. :)
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:12 pm
Ares says...

I probably would. I'll try it.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:04 pm
Sam says...

NaNoWriMo is awesome!

...I'm going to beg for extra credit tomorrow. Wish me luck. But even if I don't get the extra points, it still is excellent fun.

But, argh, now I've got the added pressure of having won last year.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:32 am
View Likes
Wiggy says...

I have no time for it this year, but I totally want to try it next year. We're going to be moving in November/December, plus there's school-no way can I do that! lol It's gonna be friggin' awesome to do though! *sighs in waiting for next November*
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:08 am
View Likes
Poor Imp says...

Oy...if I play it like a game, perfectionism needn't bother me.

All the rest is off-the-cuff. ^_^
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

ah yes my boiling cheetohs
— tatteredbones