Young Writers Society

A Word of Encouragement from Your Protagonist

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 pm
View Likes
joebot says...

Dear Author,

When I first met you, I wondered about you. Could you write my story? How would you do it? Would you smoothly glide scene to scene, like a professional cameraman? Or would you look at the world from my eyes, experiencing every ounce of pain and pleasure as your own? Could you really turn a pattern of letters into me, a person? Maybe I'm the protagonist of your first novel or maybe you've done this before and I'm just the most annoying person you've ever met. Either way, I heard you were struggling and I'm here to give you a wake-up call.

You might be struggling with structure or spelling, but remember that my side isn't all sunshine and daisies either. Sure you're busy wrestling grammar and creating the next hurdle I have to overcome, but I'm the one who has to fight each dragon, who has to wade through each mosquito-infested swamp, who has to choose to tell which love interest that it just can't work. And to leave me and the other characters in those situations is a cruel thing to do. Just like you, all I want is a happy ending. Let me work for it.

I'm willing to discuss future options for the story and I wouldn't mind if you set me aside for a few days to research and rest, but only as long as you remember me and finish my story as best you can.

I thank you for letting me tell my story. Please give me the ending I deserve.

With much love,
Your Protagonist(s)

“Hope” is the thing with feathers - That perches in the soul - And sings the tune without the words - And never stops - at all -
— Emily Dickinson