z

Young Writers Society

Pocket Memoirs

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon May 06, 2013 4:57 am
ktarantino says...

I recently did an activity in one of my public writing classes that focused on making sense of the past through writing. Basically we were asked to write a memoir about our experience within a specific social institution (school, work, church, family, clubs, organizations, sports, etc.) and how that experience influences the way you see the world.

The brainstorming process consisted of writing three pocket memoirs about three different specific experiences. In the pocket memoir you recall the details of what happened in one moment, who was there, what was the setting, and how it affected you. The difficulty for me was picking one specific instance from years of experiences within social institution.

My three choices that I wrote about were (1) nearly spitting up the “body of christ” at my first communion, (2) falling off a horse for the first time, and (3) the day my teacher yelled at me for holding a pencil wrong in the 2nd grade. I chose the first option to write my final longer piece on--but the others were potential stories for future memoirs and I really enjoyed this activity! What would your pocket memoirs be?

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon May 06, 2013 9:50 am
AlfredSymon says...

Lemme say that this is very interesting :)

Anyways, my three pocket memoirs are:
1.) Stepping on a sea urchin by the beach
2.) Accidentally eating fermented fish instead of garlic sauce
3.) Getting a live shrimp inside my sandals
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon May 06, 2013 10:28 am
Auxiira says...

Ohh sounds fun!

1: My first day at the international school in France, more specifically the break before classes start.
2: Eating tripe (yech)
3: Having my friends read my novel and say they loved it
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Mon May 06, 2013 10:30 am
winterbites says...

Ahaha, wow!

1. Biting my principal in preschool
2. When my best friend Clayton ditched mt for another girl in grade three
3. Going on a trip to America c:
I've got you under a spell and I don't think I'll be letting you out~ If Only She Knew Voodoo Like I Do, Get Scared.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon May 06, 2013 10:51 am
wordsandwishes says...

1. Attempting to make purple dye out of ink, glue, water, and pencil lead in grade 6
2. Having sushi for the first time
3. Trying to teach my mom how to use chopsticks xD

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala