z

Young Writers Society

My Little Writing Prompts(To Challenge Us)

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:38 pm
ShadowKnight155 says...

TL;DR version(but still long): I got bored, wrote some prompts to some non-writer audience; now I'm posting them on YWS (I'm not throwing this file out...duh :P). Feel free to ask questions on the prompts, and link to uploaded stories if they're upload-worthy. Prompts start at second dotted line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Skip to the second dotted line if you don't want the story/comments behind them. (It's seriously not that important)]

Here's the story:
Spoiler! :
So I wrote these one day, a while (months) ago. Sitting alone, I wrote them when I had homework to do, and also with some very specific ideas here and there that weren't quite stories. So of course I put the homework off; and poof this came out. Okay it wasn't poof, the idea of writing writing prompts was the premise in the first place.

I'm not sure who my audience was when I wrote this; definitely not to YWSers. It was more to not-really-writers-people. But, I'm to lazy to change that now, so I'm just gonna post a slightly modified and annotated(commented; whatever word it is) version. Merry [Holiday]. Things in parentheses are generally the comments I'm making now. Probably some grammar(okay lots of them) errors and question-abilities in the prompts, but I feel it's understandable.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of these are not to be just prompts, but to actually practice a specific part of writing or style to improve there. Some are vauger than others, but I try to give a little inspiration and examples to show what I want, but obviously as a writer I should know that others can come up with the unexpected; as in something much better that barely or not at all follows the context/directions(especially when the directions suck **cough cough** English class** cough cough**).

Some are definitely much shorter than others, and much more or less specific. None of them really mean "you" as in the real you, but whatever "you" you wish. You can create a character of whatever means you like(and change the other character, but keep it relevant to whatever "you" character you use(for example, your worst enemy would be your characters worst enemy in the story)). The responses should probably be kept around the size of a paragraph or few. If it inspires you to do more, go ahead!

Basic Nature Scene Description

Imagine yourself alone in nature. Describe the landscape, the atmosphere. The world should flow, and it should be somewhere like a forest or plains. This is not really supposed to be about you, but the best way I believe it could be viewed in a writers perspective would be to imagine yourself there. Don't talk about walking around, but describe the scene as it appears to a higher being or movie camera.

Fast Paced Action Scene

You're in a ring or arena of your own creation. Your worst enemy stands opposite from you. This can be an honorable fight, or a no rules kinda showdown, but it should've been planned, but even this is not really important to the exercise. The purpose of this one is for you, the writer, to practice a fast paced movie-style action scene in writing. This is something I think could definitely be awesome when done well, because it rarely ever is. This scene should be hand to hand or with swords of some sort. Something with contact. The scene should be described buetifally(pertillaly, prityly, you get the picture; I love how I can't spell bootyfull;ironic) and incorporated into the action if possible. The fight should also fit perfectly into the writing. Don't focus on the description, but balance the two.

(I don't know what happened when I wrote this prompt. Just make an action scene that's awesome in some kind of arena ;) )

Romantic Scene

This ones really a very personal thing, and very specific. This is to describe a romantic, sudden situation. This is probably best for a piece talking about one's feelings and emotions. The sensations; very slow paced. It can go as far as you want it, or as not-far as you want. So, now really place yourself into this one. Fantasize through it, really. Sit back and enjoy it. ;) Feel seats, the skin, maybe, the air. See the stage, the dimming of the lights, the eyes of the other. You're sitting next to a pretty/handsome girl/boy. You've never/always liked them the most, but you've definitely found yourself attracted(just now? or before too?), maybe you have a significant other, maybe you don't, up to you, and they're sitting next to you during a school assembly(or more generally a play or whatever; something odd for a love scene). You're not the best of friends, but you definitely know each other enough to talk. The teachers and staff are preparing a little ceremony or play or contraption of whatever sorts. The lights dim. Does anything happen? Do you talk? Do you just let time go by, do you fantasize about the very situation? The event is nearing an end, and the people are dismissed. Do they leave the lights off? People begin to live, squeezing through the doors. Do you stay? Do you talk to this person of interest? Does anything happen? It's up to you how you want to bend this one. Skip forward in time and predict a little more, go back in time, whatever. Just be creative and deep with the situation, and probably put it in context of the auditorium, assembly premise.

Abstract, Dreamland Scene

In an endless land of no certainty, you find yourself awakening on a platform. Describe this platform. Is it a simple geometric shape? A piece of earth? A chunk of garbage? Does it move? The sky seems black...but maybe it changes colors? Does the world move to your whim? Other platforms of whatever construction begin to appear; were they already there? float up? fade in and out? explode? Is this all in your head? Is it real at all? Is it a writing prompt given to you by someone much more insane? Are there voices? Ghosts? Silhouettes? Disembodied heads and maybe your favorite goldfish? Is the scene depressing or enlightening? Are you confused? Lost? High on dope, dog? This world is your creation. Is it floating emptiness or something more solid? Either way, it should probably contain moving objects(which normally don't move?), and incorporate some form of smooth movement generally challenging to detail in writing. Challenge yourself more than anything here, as a writer, and maybe even within the text(as in challenging your character; after all, what plot doesn't have conflict? Oh, wait, my writing prompt responses...).

Personal, Internal Conflict [Trigger warning; I realize some of my elaborations(?) may be somewhat offensive. PM me if you have better rewording]

Spoiler! :
You're in the corner of a rundown room or building, or some kind of recess/crevice. Trauma has been inflicted to you, and you feel yourself "sinking." The world seems at it's end to you, and you must make sense of what's happened, and what you need to do. Were you sexually assaulted? Beaten? Abused? Did the newest and hottest version of your favorite magazine not come? Did your family get killed in some gruesome way that allowed for your living and you've crawled into some corner? Nothing too specific here, but it should definitely involve very little physical descriptions, mainly psychological implications and events.

Darkness and Future

You're sitting outside. Watching something in nature, like animals playing, or "playing ( ;] )," or a sunset. Maybe the snow's melting, the tide is changing. Northern lights? A plane? A bird? Feathers? What does this make you think of? What could it be symbolic of? Does it represent you or your future? What about the land around you? Are you in the country? A city rooftop? Put simply, this should be about an object in the surroundings of a character that prompts the character to connect it with themselves, and perhaps the days happenings or some personal events. Are the feathers falling from a bird a symbol of a deceased relative or a reminder of them? That kind of thing. What is the area around this character/you like? Why is this object there? Is the scene important to the thought? What does this make you think or feel about your future? Does the world seem dark? Is there a future? A purpose? A ray of light?

(More question marks here than prompt I guess? :P)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Write whatever you feel like in response, and if it's short you can post it in this thread (if you like). Or, if you write something bigger, I'm not gonna stop you from doing anything. Don't feel the need to credit my prompts, either. Upload to YWS, if you want. Link in the thread, too, in that case. ;)

Have funsees. :D

Example link(this feels like guilty self-promotion :P):
work.php?id=96009
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

Reviews: 4
Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:58 pm
View Likes
SidereaAquila says...

Hello, there. I haven't checked this forum in a while, so I just found this. I have a scene that would fit under "fast-paced action." It's the prologue to my novel, but I haven't uploaded it. Can I just copy-and-paste it here?
Skittles: Taste the Spectrum

LIZARD!!!!!

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:04 pm
ShadowKnight155 says...

You can probably upload it if you want, however if it is the prologue to your novel... then if you plan on uploading your novel, it's probably best to keep it with your novel.

It might be a good idea to contact a moderator, if you're still unsure. It's not really my place to say, I guess. :)
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

If you have a dream, you have a duty to make it come true.
— Marco Pierre White