z

Young Writers Society

Ultimate Activity: Beginnings and ends

Reviews: 4
Tue May 22, 2012 3:44 pm
View Likes
JOV97 says...

Okay - this is an activity I use on a regular basis and I find it really helps to get my imagination going! It's not too tough, but instead is a great way to ease yourself back into writing if you just don't know where to start.

So here's how it works:

1) From list 1 (or your own imagination), randomly choose one phrase. This will be your starting point. For example, I might pick:

Without time to fully comprehend her predicament, she turned her attention to the rope suspended before her.

2) From list two, again, randomly choose one phrase to be the ending. An example:

With that, he waved goodbye to his old life

3) Now that you have your start and ending, you must join them together in between no less than 450 words and no more than 550. It can be pretty much anything you want in regards to format, i.e. you could choose to make it a poem or a short story. Also, what you write has to make sense - even if the personal pronouns in the beginning and end are different like in the example!

Beginnings:

Without time to fully comprehend her predicament, she turned her attention to the rope suspended before her

If animals could talk, what would they say?

Jennifer's mother rapped at the door thrice, reminding her that the dreadful hour was rapidly approaching

He knew that an instant decision was vital

The cold tendrils of the night began to consume him

Blackmail is such a horrible thing

Amelia's senses were suddenly bombarded by

It was a humid, overcast day at Newton house

The waves crashed and churned defiantly in front of Danny

The door opened. Arthur examined the woman, her face so beset with wrinkles that she appeared to constantly pout

Two dozen or more figures, some adults, some children, were staring unblinkingly at the house as if it were a memorial of some terrible war

Suddenly she was left alone, exposed and vulnerable

Endings

With that, he waved goodbye to his old life.

The stars shone like never before...

The echo of that repulsive, blood-curdling cackle would stay with her forever.

And within mere minutes, his entire surroundings became aphotic.

The two boys peered out across the endless horizon.

And he knew that what he had just seen would stay with him wherever he went.

Time operates in such terrible ways.

Resting on the dusty windowsill.

The cat merely purred as if it had done nothing wrong.

As the train began to approach.

Comforted only by the heat from the fire.

Because she had never been there at all.

(Feel free to add more if you wish) :)
You're my favourite.

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
— Roy T. Bennett