z

Young Writers Society

Who Needs Branding? Not you!

Reviews: 0
Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:57 pm
ThePostModIronicon says...

It is my personal belief that one of the worst things you can do in writing is to drop the names of various brands.

"Oh of course I can come to your dinner party, Sylvia," Donald said. He switched the phone to his less dominant hand and used the other to put out his cigarette. "I mean, it seems only natural that I be there, being that we both plan to kill your husband tonight before running away to Cocomo together. But, I fear that I might be a tad bit late. I just must finish this episode of Glee!"

See? It's like that. Unnecessary branding can ruin the mood quicker than the knowledge that Cocomo isn't actually a place-and, besides, when you get published (and I mean you, you magnificent beauty of a human being, you), how will the people reading your Great American _____ know what a Volvo is and why it makes the sparkly vampire all the more sparkly?

So let's bite this habit, right here and now. Everyone reading this is now obligated (by science) to create below a completely new brand for the following:

A Television Show/Game Show
A Popular Potato Chip*
And A Summer Blockbuster

You can even include descriptions if you'd like.

I'll start.

Cops and Rob Her! - A delightful Odd-Couple-esc sitcom where a rookie cop and an ex-con have to work together to go undercover in a secret circle of petty thieves.
RADishes - Delicious radish-shaped potato chips that also taste like radishes, and are therefor "Rad". Similar, but completely different from Funions.
My Mother's a Communist! - a hard hitting docu-drama starring someone awkward and charming, and whatever big-eyed bigger-bossomed woman is hot on the market these days. Spoiler alert, his mother's a communist.

*Like "Lay's" or "Dorito's". Not just the name of a chip that everyone likes. (Stephen, maybe?)

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:44 am
View Likes
Paracosm says...

This sounds fun! I shall participate!

A Television Show/Game Show -
Guess Her Weight! The participants must guess the weight of a woman selected from the audience, but there's a catch! You can only see their face.

A Popular Potato Chip*:
Crispy-O's The crispy crunchy deliciousness barely contained in a single chip! Now with even more salt and FDA warnings!

And A Summer Blockbuster:
24 Hours Later Jack Bauer meets zombie apocalypse! Can he survive the outbreak caused by crazy terrorists? Sure, anyone can do that. But can he do it in 24 hours? Maybe...
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:21 pm
Demeter says...

A Television Show/Game Show:
Where Is That Line From Anyway? - The contestants are being shown clips of people on the street imitating famous/not-so-famous lines from different films/TV shows. The fastest contestant to ring the buzzer gets to answer - if it's right, they'll get a point. If it's wrong, they'll lose a point and whoever was the second fastest gets to try.

A Popular Potato Chip Crisp ;):
Yum - just that. Yum.

A Summer Blockbuster:
Braces Or Suspenders - Something happens and hilarity ensues. Find out why.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Remember: no stress allowed. Have fun, and learn from your fellow writers - that's what storybooks are all about.
— Wolfical