z

Young Writers Society

If you could make a movie out of your story...

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:42 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

If you could make a movie out of your story...

Who would play the role of your main character, assuming they were totally up for it? (favorite actor, friend, etc.)
What different sets would there be and where would you shoot the film? (In detail?)
What type of music would be featured in the soundtrack?
Who would play the role of the supporting characters?

Just an idea. Curious as to what people might say.

For me, Vanessa Marano ("Bay" from Switched at Birth) would play the lead character, Serafina.
The Gods (particularly my highest God Character, Irvan Boltore) would be played by a man with dark hair and an angular face. Perhaps one of the guys from the Vampire Diaries?
Bellatrix, the warrior faerie "tough girl" who teaches the main character to fight, would be played by either Julia Roberts, or some really badass girl like the ones who play roles in horror movies :D
And Tobias, the wizard guide, would probably be Robin Williams, who would dress up all old, but he'd be very friendly and warm.
As for the Villain, Rodsha... he'd be played by a dark man who was very pale with jet black hair... can't think of any names right now.

The setting would be somewhere really fantastical, and there would have to be a lot of animation to provide the effects of the city of Euterpolis, the main city in Astricka (the world.)

What about you?
Last edited by MoonlightMayhem on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

7 Reviews

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:44 pm
View Likes
MoonlightMayhem says...

Oh, and for my soundtrack... I'd be creative and use lots of Indie Rock in the beginning, for Serafina's teenage life. I'd really want to use "Beautiful Love" by the Afters for a romance theme.
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

7 Reviews

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:46 pm
View Likes
MoonlightMayhem says...

As for my setting, I'm thinking I'd shoot the story somewhere on the Coast of Greece... it just seems like my story is very mythological, so it deserves a place with a lot of bright scenery, near the ocean, etc.
Music <3

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:59 pm
stargazer9927 says...

I love this question! I've thought about this more than once for all my stories actually. I don't really care about characters. Whoever plays the role the best and looks the most like I describe I suppose.

I would want it where my story takes place, so in California and Rhode Island. I will not accept any subsitutations. And since it's reality fiction rather than fantasy I'm not seeing a huge problem.

As for the soundtrack, well if you've ever read the novel I'm describing (which none of you have) it revolves around music and I've written many songs for it, so I would just have someone (perferrably some sort of male singer) sing the songs I've put in the novel.
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:59 am
nutmegan595 says...

I have definitely thought about Mostly Human as a movie and usually envision many of the scenes like a movie.

I would have liked Ed Speleers to play Fletcher, but he looks too old now. Alex Pettyfer would work too, but he's a little too rugged. Fletcher has more boyish looks like young Leo DiCaprio.

Jessica Szohr would be a good Charlotte if she got a pixie cut. She has that tough look and isn't the steriotypical pretty.

Rachel would be someone like Amanda Seyfried, where she's pretty but not the first person you notice as pretty. Amanda Seyfried is too old, too though, because Rachel looks very young--like 13 or 14 when she's 16.

Anna is the hardest to cast. Who looks like a young Mandy Moore? There aren't really any current 20-something actresses that I like for my characters. Everyone would have been perfect 5 or 10 years ago.

Judy Dench would do a great job as Maria, but so would Helen Mirren.

I like Djimon Hounsou for Amaury. Amaury is supposed to be half-Spanish, so Djimon is too dark-skinned for him, but that's not a big deal because Djimon would do such a great job.

The setting is in Spain. La hacienda can be built and shot anywhere, but the scenes in Valencia should be filmed in Valencia for authenticity.

The music is mostly One Republic songs, but I have a playlist on iTunes I use to write the story.

7 Reviews

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:57 pm
View Likes
MoonlightMayhem says...

@nutmegan.... I'd totally watch said movie if I could! What's your story about? Can I read it? OneRepublic sounds like a great soundtrack.

I might use "History" by Funeral For A Friend as an anthem for my main character's role as the Chosen One for Lumasis.
Music <3

7 Reviews

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:43 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

OH! This is what I was trying to say before... Ian Somerhalder (Damon from the Vampire Diaries) as Irvan Boltore, one of the seven gods of Astricka... definitely. He fits the part because he seems like an awesome person to play the lightning god, and when fighting in the Great Arena, he defends Serafina, the main character, through her journey as the chosen one.
Music <3

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:20 am
nutmegan595 says...

You can find the first chapter of Mostly Human here: viewtopic.php?f=359&t=85686&p=897499#p897499

Unfortunately the new format doesn't let you look at the whole novel, so just let me know if you can't find the other chapters.

7 Reviews

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:48 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

Thank you! Will read!
Music <3

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:12 pm
View Likes
Paracosm says...

Who would play the role of your main character, assuming they were totally up for it? (favorite actor, friend, etc.)

That's a difficult question to answer, since I'm not all that into pop culture. Henry Stetson would have to be played by Johnny Depp. He does such a good job playing weird roles, and you can make him look like whomever the heck you want. (Willy Wonka, case in point.) I think he'd do good as him.

What different sets would there be and where would you shoot the film? (In detail?)
It would be shot in Seattle, around the bay areas, maybe some bits in San Francisco.

Tons and tons of Eve 6! Third Eye Blind, Sublime. Tons of Noir style jazz. New Orleans jazz for sure. And Django Reinhardt!

His fellow detective, Amy Miles would be played by.... I don't know. Someone blonde, average height, and pretty. At least an 8/10.

His punk-emo rival who is yet to be named would be played by a punk-emo. Not sure who though, someone around eighteen looking.
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:07 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Yay! And I like that I can use actors, friends, whoever, and be as unrealistic as I want!

So, these responses are for my Nano project, which will be posted to the novel workshop forum as soon as I've finished revising it (which will take a while) and have reviewed a couple of novels by other people (which will take a while longer). The working title is Virtual Gardens, but I'd like to change it.

Well, I'm not up on many young actors, and my main character is twelve, thirteen, and fourteen through the story and the narration. So for now I'll say my youngest sister (who is currently fourteen) could play Ava Reed, but only if this movie gets made, well, right now. Which obviously isn't happening since I'm still in the revision I phase. (Revision of the first draft into a passable second draft, in other words.)

Rob would definitely be Viggo Mortensen, who is an awesome actor. Also, I just have a tendency to model older male characters after him.

For the Kenya scenes, we'd be on location at the Maasai Mara National Reserve by Lake Victoria.

For pre-story scenes, we'd be on location in Michigan.

For present-day (2036) Port Huron scenes, we'd shoot on-location in Port Huron, but then we'd have a modernized (futurized) blue print for the city that would take into account how the new buildings would look beside and over the old buildings, the O-Train's rails, etc. This blue print would be highly developed and computerized by our techies, from the shots of old (2012) Port Huron. Then 2036 Port Huron would be superimposed over the shots of 2012 Port Huron to create the setting. It's complicated and way more technological than I can handle, but it would look AWESOME.

I have not thought about that at all. I suppose some African music (or music in something African like Swahili, anyway) would have to be used, especially a capella choral pieces, because I love those. Like "One by One." "Noyana" is also awesome but not a capella. The same goes for "O Sifuni Mungu," which I would have to sing along with every time I watched! And I'm not even sure where these songs would fit in, but we'd need at least a couple of them! I'm pretty sure I had an idea for an actual just regular song, too, at some point, but I'm not at all sure now what it was.

I know for Country Boy I was thinking "Cowboy Take Me Away" by the Dixie Chicks at some point, and...dang it, I had another song for that too, but now I've forgotten it...oh, well...

Even though she's technically too old, Amy Adams is who I visualize as Amy...whose last name is not Adams. I mean, she's a good actress and a funny actress, and she definitely looks younger than she is. Plus she's not REALLY old, and Amy (my character) is 38...so that's only a couple years' difference. (How old is Amy Adams again?)

I'd like to play Ava's mother, Estelle, since she is basically me as I visualize myself in twenty-five years, the major difference being that she has actually lived in Kenya while I so far have only dreamed of going there. But I'd need a wig, since my hair is too short, curly, and brown. And I don't want to get it dyed. Also hair and make-up would have to age me, since I'm only 20 and tend to look young for my age, and I'd have to look about 45 for the movie.

Other than that, I don't know. Really the only thing I knew for sure before this was that Rob would have to be played by Viggo Mortensen.

Reviews: 0
Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:31 pm
View Likes
ThePostModIronicon says...

Oh man, this has been on my mind forever. The novel that I'm currently working on was originally a screenplay-one that got wiped at 64 pages, much to my anguish.

Dionne Coup, an aging lawyer with amnesia, would be played by Tina Fey (I swear it wouldn't be just because she's attractive and hilarious). It may not be possible, but I would love to cast a young Sherilyn Fenn to play Sheryl Vaughn. While I'm doing things that can't happen, I'd like Gregory Peck in his Gentleman's Agreement days to play Richard, but Mia Farrow at any point in her life is the perfect fit for Sonya.

And, if The 419 ever turned into a movie, the soundtrack will be comprised entirely of songs by Current 93 and Morphine-maybe with Radiohead's "No Surprises" for the end credits if the ending stays the same.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:48 pm
Cspr says...

I'll have to think about this. Sounds cool...especially with Screnzy coming up. :)

However, may I suggest Andrew Scott for your villain? Played creepy-as-all-get-out James Moriarty in Sherlock and he has pale skin, dark eyes, and brownish hair. (Figured I might as well be helpful.)
My SPD senses are tingling.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer