z

Young Writers Society

The Best and Worst Thing About Your Writing.

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:35 am
Jas says...

You basically say what is the best and worst thing about your writing. You acknowledge what's good about it and what needs improvement. :]

I'll start.

Worst thing: My imagery in poetry lacks and I don't know how to finish a novel.

Best thing: I like to think that I start and end everything I write meaningfully. I wouldn't start it with the main character brushing his teeth in Chicago if I was writing a story about werewolves in France or something. I think in fiction I have good imagery.
Last edited by Jas on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:19 am
View Likes
SmylinG says...

Worst thing(s): I have a tendency to over/under embellish at times, lose clarity and purpose to my plots, and lose interest in the things I write before I have the chance to finish them. Sometimes my sentences grow all wonky, which is the beginning sign of my writers block.

Best things: I like to think my writing is honest and whole. It isn't detached from me, and people can usually connect with it on their own levels. My style sometimes morphs rather rhythmically on its own, which I like. c:
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:28 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Oh God this thread.
Spoiler! :

Ze Worst: I'm the king of disconnecting with the audience. I do so in pretty much every piece I write. Like. A. Boss.

Ze Best: I like to think that, if nothing else, I have a fluid flow.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:20 am
BluesClues says...

Best: Dialogue. I've always had an easy time with dialogue, and now especially I've become good at cutting it and stuff so that it sounds even more natural and realistic.

Worst: I nearly never describe my main characters physically because, well - if they're the one narrating the story then they're not going to be seeing themselves unless it's in some contrived way (i.e., passing a mirror in the hallway), and it feels so awkward to just stop the story for a paragraph and describe them... Also, sometimes it's difficult for me not to just tell something.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:56 pm
Tenyo says...

Best: I try really hard so I keep getting better :p
Worst: Let me count...

I guess my best is my imagination. I lose myself in my work and imagine things as if I was there, which means I can really get into my characters heads. It means that I write about the more interesting things I see and create a broad picture, rather than writing the first thing that comes to mind. I describe my characters based on the first thing I notice about them, which tends to be the stranger or more memorable things, and I think that makes things better for the reader.

My worst would have to be those stylistic things I put in without caring whether my reader likes them or not. Smashing the fourth wall, and writing about events that my first-person perspective couldn't possibly have known about, are two of my favourites. I like my stylistic peculiarities too much to change them.
We were born to be amazing.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:21 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

Best thing: Ummm, I guess I'd have to say characterisation. One compliment I often find myself getting is that my characters seem realistic and my readers get attached to them quite easily. I can pop some good dialogue out of me sometimes too, but only if I'm lucky.

Worst thing: The technical side of my writing. Due to English not being my first written language, my sentence construction is shameful. More or less everything in Welsh is written back to front compared to English so I blame it on that! I lack a lot of imagery in my writing too and when I do try creating imagery, it ends up confusing the reader. And I need to shorten a lot of my writing. And I use too many unnecessary filler words. And okay, I'm done.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:50 pm
Demeter says...

Best: Hmm. I kind of want to say dialogue, because it's easy for me to write.

Worst: Uh... sometimes I feel like I write too much dialogue? xD I also keep using "sort of", "kind of", "rather", "quite", "a little" etc. etc. which I'm trying to get rid of, but it's so difficult. I've been told off for it, and I realise why it might be annoying. Another worst thing: I write too rarely.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:34 pm
LadySpark says...

Best things-
my imagination. I can dream up a world for you in... minutes.

Worst thing-
I move to fast, I never outline anything so my plot goes from Charlie killing this guy to that guy killing charlie.

XD
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:15 pm
ChocoCookie says...

Worst thing: I don't know what to write of. I sit up a whole day, I still can't think of anything! Its so bugging, when you can't get anything! Either I have to be inspired or something should happen in my life. Threatening, awesome and more.

Best things: I'm good at rhyming. I can get you a rhyming poem out of nowhere. Just tell me what the plot is about. (Though nowadays, I'm too lazy to rhyme. xD)

@SparkOfDoubt: I must really ask you a world of imagination before I write something stupid. I mean really. xP
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:44 pm
TwistedMuffins says...

Worst thing: I get discouraged a bit too fast. If I don't get an idea, or I can't get the proper words I need, I just give up, call myself a horrible writer (that I am) and I don't touch the pen again for another three days.

Best thing: Eh... I have pretty good characters, and characterization, I guess?
If I were to have a super power, it would be to time-travel, so that I could turn back time, and erase your very existence.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Mon May 07, 2012 3:16 pm
AliyahPillage says...

Worst thing: I tend to hang on one subject for an overly long amount of time when one subject should be one page I tend to make it more like five or six pages which bores readers.

Best thing: I usually start with asking a question example: do vampires exist? this gets the reader in on the subject.
Wo Ai Ni (I Love You) Jessicarlie Love

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue May 08, 2012 9:47 pm
EmmVeePi says...

Worst Thing: Lack of descriptiveness. I pretty much stick to narrative and dialogue while giving the reader little mental image.

Best Thing: I think I do a very good job of tapping into raw human emotion in my stories and bringing that out in my readers.

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sun May 13, 2012 8:47 am
MiaParamore says...

Best thing: Nothing'

Worst thing: Everything.

Yes, I'm optimist. xD!
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Mon May 14, 2012 3:02 pm
Omni says...

The best: Hmm I guess that I pull the reader in with a lot of cliff hangers.

The worst: I don't describe the setting or my characters enough.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Thu May 17, 2012 11:37 pm
Cspr says...

Worst thing: Action is the bane of my existence. Sure, I imply things happen, and skirt around big scenes, and generally stuff goes on. People run away from villains, people fight villains, people befriend gryphons so they can fly back to the rebel group's fortress, and such. I feel like I need to write it better, however. Also, my brain is like a rocket ship--it's all rush-rush-rush-or-we-die--and when I get tangled up in stories, I'm often ready to just drop the story and start on another one. It's an endless cycle of insanity; however, I have managed to get out a handful of short stories, a few poems, two completed novels, and a novella. So. Not terrible, but I hate it so much.

Best thing: Characterization. More specifically, characterization wrought through dialogue. I'm all for banter and arguments and people working through problems in my fiction. I try to make the characters real, instead of a stereotype or a collection of traits that do things.
My SPD senses are tingling.

All the turtles are related.
— Jack Hanna