z

Young Writers Society

Random Reading

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

I was wandering around town yesterday when I thought I'd go to the library. I've been wanting to widen my reading range recently, so I had an idea, and thought I'd share it with you guys.

Go to your local library and walk around until you see a book you want to pick up. Don't think about it, just run your finger along the shelves and pick up a book. Don't look at what section/genre you're in. Don't even look at the cover, the title, the author or anything. Don't look at it when you're walking around, when you're at the counter or even when you're walking home. Pick about three books this way, you might even want to pick one from a genre you've never read before. I picked up a Western book. I've started to read one book, and I'm enjoying it so far, and I wouldn't have even thought to pick it up normally. Try to read some of the book and stick with it for a while, even if you don't enjoy it at first. This activity aims to widen you're reading range, and introduceyou to different styles of writing. Let us know how you get on.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:00 pm
Skye says...

I'll try it, but it might take me a little while to find a book I haven't read. :)
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

145 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:09 am
Tara says...

I did that once, at the school library. I picked up a book called China's Son, just so I could use the cool new scanner thingie. One day I started reading it, then couldn't put it down. It was a true story, yet one of the best books I've read!
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:26 am
Sam says...

*lol* i swear I've read every book that belongs to LCL...
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:28 am
Meshugenah says...

I was doing something like this the other day, actaully. Book fair (ah, dollar books, and good ones, too!) and i found a few i never would have picked up normally, and i read them both in a day, and it gave me a few ideas (that i desperately needed!)

145 Reviews

Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:04 am
Tara says...

Ooooh! I LOVE book fairs!
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:35 am
View Likes
Bobo says...

Ingenious idea! I'll have to try this sometime (like when my "books to read" list is much shorter)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:18 pm
Firestarter says...

This seems like a good idea. I should try it next time...
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:51 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

One book I picked up was really good, called Late Bloomer by Fern Michaels. I'd never have read it if I hadn't done my little experiment. I had little patience with the other two books, erspecially the western, but it's good to just get out there and see what's around apart from whatever you normally read. I'm going tomorrow to try again.

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:56 pm
Harley says...

i am so doing this. I might look a bit weird though, but who cares? (Book fairs rule)

In my librbary, you can ask for a surprise book. You just tell them your reading level, and wether you want a gender specific theme, and they get one ready in a little parcel for the next week. There's also random ones on a table you can choose, but yoo might end up with an "I Can Read" book.

Reviews: 0
Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:57 pm
Roxy says...

I don't use any other library other than my own.

There are so many books in there that I just haven't had tim to read. They would occupy me for a while!

~ Roxy ~
I eat losers for breakfast...

As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
— Calvin