z

Young Writers Society

Casting Your Characters

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:12 am
View Likes
Octave says...

I'm a terribly forgetful person, so when I write a novel, I like to keep a few pictures of my characters in my computer, to remind me of what they look like. This way, their general appearance doesn't change throughout the novel, and I have a super good feel as for how they look.

Well, you say, that's nice, but what does that have to do with me?

See, I like to think I'm not the only one who does this. :D If you do this as well, I'd like it very much if you could introduce the person you think your character looks like here (preferably include a picture), with a short description of your character underneath. =D You could add in the role he/she plays in your novel if you want.

I'll start so you'll know what I'm talking about.

Oliver Reid (Olly) - [younger] Gaspard Ulliel

Spoiler! :

17. Expected valedictorian. Accepted by Yale. Has a preternatural ability to lie - anyone who hears him will believe what he says. Indirectly killed his best friend [Detta] by accident. Shares an obsessive relationship with Detta (the only one he never lied to/never meant to lie to). Outwits his parents to spend time with Detta. Confident. Control freak. Meticulous. Extremely sympathetic to those he care about. Tolerant. Not averse to morally questionable tactics to get what he wants. Increasingly paranoid. Unable to get over Detta's death.

Odette Zimmerman (Detta) - Cordelia Kuznetsova

Spoiler! :

17. Failed first grade and fifth grade. Currently a sophomore. Soleil's older sister. Pastor's daughter. Very good dancer. Fallen choir leader. Irrational and spontaneous. Highly temperamental. Friendly. Sensual. Outdoorsy and risk-loving. Adores sweets. Constantly defies her father's orders to stay away from Olly, whom the pastor blames for his daughter's troubled life. Gets into fights with the senior boys (and sometimes wins). Jumps into the river under the spell of what she overheard Olly saying -"The river's only dangerous if you're sixty and in need of a heart transplant."

Soleil Zimmerman (Sol) - Daga Ziober

Spoiler! :

15. Odette's younger sister. Ranks first in her classes, most of which she shares with her sister (she takes honors classes). Crushing on Olly since time immemorial. Naive. Quiet. Insecure. Lives in her infamous sister's shadow (most people don't even know there's a second Zimmerman daughter unless they pay attention to the honor rolls). Conservative. Longs to leave town. Fiercely competitive inside. Meek. Unassertive, for the most part. Caring and helpful. Very observant. Becomes Olly's substitute for Detta (eventually).

Your turn! ;)
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:56 pm
View Likes
nutmegan595 says...

Here are my characters for my novel Mostly Human (http://youngwriterssociety.com/novel.php?id=1731)

Anna:
I'm not sure if that worked so if it didn't here's the link: ( http://www.google.com/imgres?q=anna+dra ... 80&bih=673 )

Fletcher:
( http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ed+spele ... 80&bih=673 )

Charlotte:
( http://www.google.com/imgres?q=diana+do ... x=40&ty=87 )

Rachel:
( http://www.google.com/imgres?q=cintia+d ... =29&ty=110 )

I don't really have a good description of the characters but you can read my novel if you want to know!

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:11 am
View Likes
Jas says...

Oh, I do this too, but mostly in my head. I'll post for my latest novel, The Space Between Infinity.

Chloe:

Spoiler! :
ImageShe's a little younger and little less perfect than the girl in the picture. Her eyes are green and her hair is more caramely.

She's dead. She was best friends with Tyler and Nina. She was a bit of a bitch in life, but as the narrator of the story, we see her in a sofer light. She regrets a lot of her life. She was going to be valedictorian before all the drama in her life began.

Tyler:

Spoiler! :
ImageThis is literally the only picture I saw that screamed Tyler, but not because he's reading or that he's in a library, but because he just seems like Tyler to me.

Loves Chloe. Dates Nina. Has known Chloe since he was 8, met Nina when he was eleven. Fiercly loyal to his friends. (Obviously) devasted at Chloe's death. His mother used to hit him and he hates her for making him fear her. He never knew his father because his mother got pregnant with him at 21 as the result of a one-night stand.

Nina:

Spoiler! :
Image Yes, this is Mila Kunis. I suppose Nina isn't as pretty, but they look basically the same.

Has known Chloe since they were eleven. Best friends with Chloe. Step-sister to Aiden. She's a prima ballerina and has anorexia. She dates Tyler and loves him but knows, deep down that he doesn't love her back, at least not the way that she wants him too.

Lucy:

Spoiler! :
Image She's got much blonder hair and she's a little older and a little thinner.

Chloe's little sister, is eight at the time of Chloe's death. Is left alone after Chloe dies, because her father works all day and stays out all night to forget about Chloe and her mother is diagnosed with depression and basically lays in bed all day, every day.

Aiden:

Spoiler! :
ImageStronger jaw, but this is a pretty good picture.

Nina's step-brother;Tyler's best friend; Chloe's boyfriend. He's protective of Nina and takes her side in everything. He's the only one that knows she has an eating disorder and promised not to tell as long as she stays healthy. He's really a good friend and a good boyfriend and what happens between Tyler and Chloe hurts him a lot, because he trusted Tyler and he loves Chloe.

Angelina:

Spoiler! :
ImageThis is perfect.

Angelina is Chloe's cousin, two years older. She attends a Catholic private school one town over and is very, very religious. They grew up together and Angelina was basically Chloe's older sister. Chloe was extremely jealous of Angelina's beauty. Yhey grew farther apart as they got older, because of Chloe's jealousy and because of their difference in views. However, if asked who Chloe was closest to in the world, she would say Angelina and vice-versa.

(that was pretty long...)
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:10 pm
View Likes
Jas says...

Oh, I've ruined this, haven't I?
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:29 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

So. Let's see here.

1. Mia Wasikowska as Elisabeth (Beth) Regent
Spoiler! :

Elisabeth, or, as she's called later on in the story, lived in a convent because she was 'born a sin'. Meaning, her mother was a nun and thus shamed for life when she gave birth to Elisabeth. Elisabeth is quiet and curious but extremely strong-willed and independent. She wants to go somewhere with her life rather than sit at an open window knitting her entire life. It's almost a frightening inner strength that often feeds her pride subconsciously and sometimes cause more harm that good.

2. Sara Paxton as Susanna Sylvester
Spoiler! :

Susanna is Elisabeth's best friend at the convent and possibly afterwards. Unfortunately, she is as naive and frightened of the sisters at the convent as Beth is brave and impulsive. She does mind living at a convent and never questions what might be out there in the world. Beth and Susanna are worlds apart but yet they get along superbly. This is probably due to the fact that Beth enjoys talking and Susanna is always there to listen, no matter what.

3. Jamie Bell as Gabriel Samson
Spoiler! :

Gabriel is snobbish and outright rude. He, however, was the first person Elisabeth met proceeding her escape from the convent. They do not care much for each other at first, but then they develop a predictable attraction. Nevertheless, Gabriel is a ladies man through and through and so Beth has a tough time. Gabriel doesn't care if he brags about his wealth and the inheritance he will receive when his grandmother dies.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:43 pm
View Likes
Napier says...

Colin Strider- Bill Milner
Spoiler! :

But maybe a little older.
He's Will from Son of Rambow and the young Magneto in X-Men First Class.
Both those films prove that he can do sweet and shy, but also break out in anger, which is the perfect combination for this character.

Rachel Davies- Yasmin Paige
Spoiler! :

She has appeared in British dramas such as The Sarah Jane Adventures and Ballet Shoes, and also played Jordana in the British comedy film Submarine. I think she's great, and could definitely do a good Rachel.

Jeffrey Cleer- David Tennant
Spoiler! :

Never been any other choice for this character. He is, of course, the great Tenth Doctor from Doctor Who. Jeffrey is mildly based on good ol' ten, minus the goofiness, so it would be great to see him in a really serious role.

Zach Hammet- Willem Dafoe
Spoiler! :

Willem Dafoe is a GREAT actor who looks creepy in everything he's done. He's made a fine villain in Spider-Man's Green Goblin and his voice work as Rat in Fantastic Mr Fox has proved that he can do a great Texan accent. He'd be fantastic as this character.

Solomon Latchet- Andy Serkis
Spoiler! :

Gollum from Lord of the Rings. Need I say any more?
This character, a short, slimy, devilish looking alien, would clearly be under the influence of CGI and motion capture, and who better than the master of motion capture to play him! Serkis has played iconic roles such as Gollum, King Kong and, more recently, Captain Haddock in Tintin, and was also amazing as Caesar in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and a sly shifty villain in Inkheart's Capricorn. No other choice for this character!
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:59 pm
TheClosetKidnapper says...

I do this all the time, though it's usually in my head too.

Jason:

Spoiler! :

Just a little bit different than the photo. His face is more masculine structured and his hair is a little bit lighter. He's also not that thin.
He's quiet and only speaks when spoken to unless he's with his friends and family. Younger brother of Alex. Boyfriend of Lis. Tolerant of almost everything. Isn't quick to lose his temper. Doesn't have many acquaintances outside of his girlfriend and brother because of his necessity to only take what he feels he needs.

Alex:

Spoiler! :

Once again, just a bit different. His hair is a lighter shade of blonde and always worn a little spiked up. He has the same muscle tone as his brother and the same green eyes.
Short tempered. Older brother of Jason. Good friends with Lis. He speaks his mind and doesn't care what people think of him. He is the complete opposite of his brother. The only two people he cares about are Lis, who is like a sister to him, and Jason. Obnoxious. Is in the popular crowd, which happens to mean that he has a lot of shallow/farewell friends.

Lis:

Spoiler! :

And again, a tiny bit different. She isn't as thin and has hazel eyes, which can't be seen through the pic.
Warm and bubbly personality. She is one of the only ones who is able to get Jason out of his shell and to truly open up. Girlfriend of Jason. Good friends with Alex. Calm. Tolerant, but not as tolerant as Jason. Can deal with Alex's obnoxious self while making sure Jason isn't left out. Caring and considerate. Out of respect for her boyfriend, only has a few other good friends but has learned that she prefers having one or two people to truly trust than to have six or seven friends who she can't completely trust.
I'm never what I like
I'm double sided
And I just can't hide
I kind of like it
When I make you cry
'Cause I'm twisted up, twisted up
Inside

Semiautomatic
twenty one pilots

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...
— Dr. Seuss