z

Young Writers Society

New words from books

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:23 am
zelithon says...

Find words in books you don't understand then write them down as i did in the following format. Finally find and post the definition, its a good way to practice and you can expand your vocabylary with words already posted.

Pg 110 “and dipping soldering irons” soldering. “Deer in the works” Canary in the Cat House by Kurt Vonnegut

Pg 111 “watching a giant lathe turn a bar of steel the size of a small silo” lathe, silo “Deer in the works” Canary in the Cat House by Kurt Vonnegut

Pg 51 “And not a chromo.” chromo. Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court by Mark Twain

Pg 116 “to buffalo her about a lot of things,” buffalo “Hal Irwin’s Magic Lamp” Canary in the Cat House by Kurt Vonnegut

Main Entry: soldering iron
Function: noun
: a pointed or wedge-shaped device that is usually electrically heated and that is used for soldering

Main Entry: 1lathe 
Pronunciation: 'lA[th]
Etymology: probably from Middle English lath supporting stand
: a machine in which work is rotated about a horizontal axis and shaped by a fixed tool 

Main Entry: chro·mo 
Pronunciation: 'krO-(")mO
Inflected Form(s): plural chromos
: CHROMOLITHOGRAPH 

Main Entry: si·lo 
Pronunciation: 'sI-(")lO
Inflected Form(s): plural silos
Etymology: Spanish
1 : a trench, pit, or especially a tall cylinder (as of wood or concrete) usually sealed to exclude air and used for making and storing silage
2 a : a deep bin for storing material (as cement or coal) b : an underground structure for housing a guided missile
[silo illustration]

Main Entry: 2buffalo
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -loed; -lo·ing
: BEWILDER, BAFFLE 
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:13 pm
Areida says...

I did this two summers ago while I was reading Francine River's A Voice In the Wind and I learned sooo many new words. Useful stuff too, like obsequious, wry, languid, nubile, dulcet, indolent, etc.

It's actually a really fun exercise. :mrgreen:
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:49 pm
Myth says...

I've done this a few times too. It is helpful when you want to word sentences differently.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:20 pm
Fand says...

Oh gods... if you want to learn new words -- lots of 'em -- read anything by Faulkner. ANYTHING. Of course, you'll probably feel like taking fast-acting poison shortly thereafter, but... you'll learn new words! :D
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:16 pm
Wiggy says...

I have to do this for lit-it gets old after awhile, but it's nice to learn the new words!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say.
— Flannery O'Connor