z

Young Writers Society

Describing a setting using all five senses

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:05 pm
volleychik992 says...

I have done this for my stories before I even start writing them, so I can get a feel for what I am writing about, and expand on it from that point. Try it- describe what you see, smell, hear, taste, and feel.

See- that's easy. But describe it in detail.
Hear- there's usually a creaking or the sound of wind even in the quietest of rooms. Or maybe you can only hear yourself breathe.
Smell- that's pretty easy too.
Taste- sometimes it's hard to think of what you can taste in a place. The dust? Or maybe the last meal you had (ew... makes me want to brush my teeth).
Feel- pretend you are running your hand over a chair in the room. Or a stuccoed wall (etc., etc...).

Post what you write here!
"A people without history is like wind in the buffalo grass."

-Sioux Proverb

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:41 pm
View Likes
Lizzybethrae says...

I do that too...usually I just sit down and make a chart. I come up with all the different places in a chapter and then use the five senses. I also add a sort of 'sixth sense'--how my character would react.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:20 am
View Likes
volleychik992 says...

That's a really good idea-- it's just that sometimes when I do that exercise I don't have my character developed yet. I focus on the place first, and then the people it concerns. But I'll have to add that later.

i love me some swole chickens
— yosh