z

Young Writers Society

Let's write a novel!

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:10 pm
fading-dream says...

If you're anything like me, you've planned novels, started them, then realized you didn't feel like writing it. You feel that you know the story, so what's the point. Then, when you attempt improv writing without a plan, you don't know where to take it. Well, this activity is meant to help you write a novel in 30 days.

Everyday, I will post a new paragraph laying the basic structure of the novel. You will then use this paragraph as the basis for that chapter/part. You can decide on the length. These posts will be very general so each book will be entirely different. Things like "character is introduced/re-united with someone who they will develop/strengthen a relationship with throughout the next 8 parts." There will be more to each part, with that just being a tiny bit of it. This allows you to do whatever you want while following that guideline. The relationship could be friendship, romantic, or family-based. It's completely up to you.

My goal is that this will also keep people from "burning out" over the course of the book from writing too much at once. Even if a person were to write only 3 pages a day, they would still get a 90 page book. Can't write that day? Well you can incorporate those elements in the next days or do a double-dose of writing. So, onto Part 1!

Part 1:
Introduce your character who is about to have something great happen to them. They can either want this or not. They should be aware of this event. Have someone close to the character be directly involved in the event. Through their response to the time leading to the actual event, have this character obviously be bothered by something that has recently happened. This may or may not be related to the event. End the part as the event is starting.

I too will be partaking in this event. If you're interested in this, post below.
Current Project: Otherworld (Novel) - 11,000 words so far
Latest Story: Overflowing Emotions.
Past stories: Burning Apart, The Beast, Binding Darkness - Ch. 1, What David Taught Me, The Banquette, Mirror of Memories, Leaving Humanity, Little Green Men, Six Days

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:57 am
Bugwhisker says...

This looks like something I might be able to do. If nothing else, it'll be great practice for whenever I decide to get back to my major projects. ^^' All right, I'm in.

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:19 pm
WritersUnleashed says...

This is a good idea. I would try it if I wasn't starting my long planned Horror novel. Let's just say the beggining is the exact opposite of what you put down :P

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:30 pm
JesusLover says...

hmm... interesting... i might try it, but it might not be exactly what you're saying. i kind of enjoy doing my own thing, but this sounds interesting :)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:26 am
LittlePrincess says...

If you're anything like me, you've planned novels, started them, then realized you didn't feel like writing it. You feel that you know the story, so what's the point.

That is quite literally the story of my life and this activity sounds really fun. I'm totally in!
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
The Little Prince

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:32 am
Mjdwrite says...

Count me in! This is a great idea. I am very happy that you are doing it. I already have the first section from yesterday, except the last little portion, and I am ready for whatever you have planned!
"It is perfectly okay to write garbage – as long as you edit brilliantly" C.J. Cherryh

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:59 am
creativemuse1 says...

I will join.
:)Life is full of hard times and good times. Lift your chin up, Ladies and Gentlemen.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:20 am
creativemuse1 says...

Can this apply to short stories?
:)Life is full of hard times and good times. Lift your chin up, Ladies and Gentlemen.

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:03 am
noninjaes says...

Your first bit consists with my plan for chapter one, so I'm in!
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:06 am
Jas says...

I'm in!
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:12 pm
smilelikeyoumeanit says...

i understand the plan and have started a novel (please view gods gifts on my page) but don't have any idea where to go with it :( what do you do then cause i'm rather stuck :L i have total block

In any free society, the conflict between social conformity and individual liberty is permanent, unresolvable, and necessary.
— Kathleen Norris