78%
No
22%

Total votes : 50

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:09 pm
L says...

Thats true if i'm writing poetry music screws it up (not that it wasn't screwed up in the first place.)

I used to think music helps you when you write but one day i tried writing without music and it helped. I started listening to music when i was thinking of ideas. That way you get the feel for what you're writing, i think...

I hope... hehe
Siggys' suck, I don't know what to say about myself. Doopeydoo...

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:22 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Yeah. I listen to music all the time. Right now- Ryuu no Pavane, vocal. It's a sort of mythical vocal/triangle arrangement that is very mysterious sounding.
Really, though, I'll listen to just about anything whilst writing as long as I can turn up the volume and block reality. :P I'll have to try that experiment sometime.
The best thing to listen to whilst writing? Beethoven's Fifth. Seriously. :D :P
ohmeohmy

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:32 pm
Lilyy03 says...

I don't listen to music when I'm actually writing... But I do listen to music to get ideas, and sort of get into the mood for a scene.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:41 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Music distracts me, I have to block it out of my mind. Thus, not listening to music, thus, wqaste of electricity.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:52 pm
Ofour says...

If the music you are listening to contains words then a part of brain immediately diverts to recognising those words. Thus the best way to write well and attentively whilst gaining the inspirational power of music is to listen to classical music, which contains no words.
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:01 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

Currently i'm obsessed with Evanescence, but I also love Nickelback. I find listening to them does help me get in the mood to write, but I can't have them too loud or i'll start singing along with the song and get distracted. I also write well with the T.V. on in the background. I can't write in complete silence, I have to have something else going on, or i'll get too focused on trying to make my writing good and it'll end up bad.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:41 pm
Meep says...

Galatea wrote:I hear music in colour...which means it's terribly distracting to try and write a poem (which will ultimatly have its own colour) when listening to other colours.

... are you synesthetic? That's pretty damn sweet. :D

Anyway, like Éloeré and Shriek, the music kind-of fades into the background, and I really only tend to notice silence (such as when the album ends). It's always really disconcerting to stop for a second and think "... when did the music stop? :shock: "

I'm often inspired by songs, getting ideas or set ups from the lyrics, so I will most often listen to the album of the song in question while writing the story it inspired. When I run out of ideas but want to write anyway, I listen to Jim White. (That guy has some crazy-cool lyrics, seriously. Check him out sometime.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:44 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Meep wrote:
Galatea wrote:
Anyway, like Éloeré and Shriek, the music kind-of fades into the background, and I really only tend to notice silence (such as when the album ends). It's always really disconcerting to stop for a second and think "... when did the music stop? :shock: "
)

My God, do I agree!! I hate having silence whilst writing. One of my many weird quirks. :D :mrgreen:
ohmeohmy

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:05 am
extrication says...

I think that when I'm NOT ignoring my music while I'm writing, it sort of does influence my writing. This is for shorter pieces only, though, such as a drabble, or a really, really short story. :)
because memory moves in orbits
of absence, because she holds her hands out in the rain,
and rain remembers nothing, not even how it became itself.
- Las Ruinas del Corazon, Eric Gamalinda

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:32 am
Pushca says...

I listen to a lot of Star Wars and LotR music. Because I am the world's biggest geek and yes, I actually own the soundtracks. But I put on Evanescence or Dresden Dolls when I want to procrastinate.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:14 pm
scrambled_pages says...

I almost always listen to music when I write, but I have definitly noticed that it affcts my writing, not so much the words but the emotions, because when I listen to a sad song I usually end up feeling oddly sad. Sometimes I can use this to my advantage, other times I just have to choose some very neutral music... either that or a song that I know so well that I just automaticaly tune it out.

-Gen
"There is no happiness in love, except at the end of an English novel."
-Anthony Trollope

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:49 pm
Alice says...

I almost have to listen to music when I write, it just puts me in the creative mindset. If I'm not listening to music I'm in class and using my... not paying attention to my advantage. Other than that if I'm writing i'm listening to music.
I just lost the game.

Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
— Mark Twain