78%
No
22%

Total votes : 50

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:37 am
Chevy says...

Music can truly influence you when writing, which could be either a good thing or a bad thing. I think more so, of it as being a good thing, considering, I always find myself listening to music while writing. However, I don't want to make it a habit of always listening to music when writing because sometimes, you'll find yourself copying off of what the song writer said and not really using your own stuff...but yeah...music can help--but it can also hurt.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:45 am
Crysi says...

That's why I can't listen to lyrics. I'll pay too much attention to the words, and before I know it, my page will consist of, "Crysi followed Malkin down the hallway, singing in the rain, I'm singing in the rain! What a wonderful feeling, singing in the rain!"

:P
Love and Light

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:08 am
Elelel says...

The music fades into the background for me. Not distracting at all, but if it's not there .... silence .... which I notice.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:54 am
Perra says...

Yeah, music can fade into the background for me, sometimes. Other times I sing along while writing. And, if I do that for too many songs(or just one song on repeat :wink:), I'll get distracted.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:54 pm
Tessitore says...

From the moment I turn on the computer I open up WINAMP and listen to it as long as I'm seated here, sometimes when I'm not (when I'm reading, drawing, etc.) When I turn off the computer the music goes away, but sometimes I turn on the CD player and listen to Phantom of the Opera until I go to sleep.

My playlist is full of music. Alternative, rock, jazz, classical, blues, heavy metal, opera, rap... you name the genre, I probably have it on there.

Currently I cut down my playlist so it's only seven hours and nine minutes, where it was once fourteen hours. It's on Random and on Repeat, but I'm usually fine with it...

And I have about 3,000 music and 80 video files on my computer, so I'm generally... never... bored.

Music is my life.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:48 am
IceCreamMan says...

yea, sometimes I do listen to music to get in a mood to write. When writing the horror story that I had to write for english class, for example, I listened to Black Sabbath to get me in that mood. If I'm writing something happy I'll put in some 80's hair metal (a lame style of music, but one I have a sad love for). If its something sad, usually Guns N' Roses "Don't Cry" or "November Rain" will do the trick. I'm not really that great at writing emotionaly sad stories, so the fact that those songs aren't really all that sad doesn't matter. For fantasy I like to listen to Led Zeppelin, especially songs which have tolkein elements in them (Robert Plant, lead singer for Led Zeppelin, and Jimmy Page, lead guitarist, were huge fans of Tolkein and incorporated lots of his ideas into their songs. Misty Mountain Hop, Kashmir, The Battle of Evermore are just a few examples).

As others have said, the music will just become background and you won't pay attention to it (for me at least). But that doesn't mean it doesn' affect your writting. Which room you take a test in can effect how well you do on the test. If you learned the material in one room but test in another, you might do worse than if you test in the room where you learned. This is because the envirnment will trigger memories of learning the material which will help you do well on the test. This is way different, but its sorta along the same lines. So what music you listen to probably affects the style of writing because the music will trigger images and ideas that you somehow think go along with that music. This has a lot to do with music theory which I don't know as much as I should about because Im a lazy guitar player and learn songs rather than actually progress to become better all around. Anyways, it would definately have to do with what key the musics in, if its major or minor, how fast the music is, what the vocals are about, and many other things.

hope that makes sense, i just love to begin rambles about things I know nothing of and in the end try to prove them right, lol :lol:
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.”
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:58 pm
Skye says...

Yeah, the music just fades into the background for me too. Sometimes, I wake up out of a day dream and realize I have been singing to teh entire CD and am all hoarse, but I hadn't even noticed. :roll: Sad, I know.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:42 pm
Harley says...

Totaly agreeing with Perra. I don't like total silence or I get paranoid and a little freaked. I love listening to Avril Lavigne, Maroon 5, Michelle Branch, The Corrs, Evanescence, Shania Twain and Queen when I write. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference though...

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:50 am
Shriek says...

Éloeré wrote:The music fades into the background for me. Not distracting at all, but if it's not there .... silence .... which I notice.

I agree. Usually when I write, I'm so focused on my work that I completely zone out, reguardless of the music. However, I DO notice the absence of music if the cd is to come to an abrupt stop. Maybe it has a calming effect on me, who knows. *Shrug*
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

323 Reviews

Reviews: 323
Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:57 am
hekategirl says...

I ALWAYS HAVE to have music when I write. I mean I could write without it but I write better with it.
I ushually have music that matches the mood of the story/poem i'm writing, like if its a slow poem i'll listen to slow music etc.etc

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:51 am
Galatea says...

I hear music in colour...which means it's terribly distracting to try and write a poem (which will ultimatly have its own colour) when listening to other colours.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

Reviews: 0
Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:07 pm
View Likes
Roxy says...

I can't listen to music when I'm writing, especially if there's words on the track. I start to hum, then sing, and before I know it I'm up and dancing my way around the room with my beloved hairbrush/microphone.

I don't mind calming music without words.

~ Roxy ~
I eat losers for breakfast...

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:39 pm
View Likes
Esmé says...

I never listen to music while I write. Lol, I never even thought about it.

Maybe I should try?

-elein

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:48 pm
View Likes
Myth says...

I do this anyway. Sometimes silence is best.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:01 am
View Likes
Via says...

I tend to get distracted by music if i'm trying to write. If it's poetry, then the rhythm starts to change to the rhythm of the song. If it's a story, then the story line starts to include parts of the song. So distracting haha.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson