Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes : 50

Reviews: 0
Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:00 pm
Guest says...

Do any of you listen to music while you write? I do...The activity of it is to try and listen to different types of music (atleast 3 different kinds) and see how it affects your writing! So for example: One song by Evanescence (Depressing/rock) one from LotR (Classical) and one techno...I Did this with the same writing piece and I found different "Depths" to my characters!

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:35 pm
Sam says...

I listen to this one 'modern hit music' station that comes in from Omaha...it claims to be the only one in the world but I'm not exactly sure about that one. *lol*
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:13 am
Crysi says...

I should try that sometime.. I just have trouble listening to music with words while I'm writing. And I've found that if I'm writing a very difficult piece, but I know where I want it to go, I have to turn my music off so I can fully concentrate.

If I'm just writing normally, then there HAS to be some soft music in the background or I get distracted.
Love and Light

Reviews: 0
Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:52 am
everyday_angel says...

I usually listen to music that fits the mood of the scene I'm writing...if my characters are dancing, I'm dancing, basically.
Lend your voices only to sounds of freedom
No longer lend your strength to that which you wish to be free from
Fill your lives with love and bravery
And you shall lead a life uncommon

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:04 am
Perra says...

I have to have sounds while writing. I guess it's because I'm paranoid and listening to music means I wont hear anything that'll make me more paranoid. I haven't tried to notice how music effects my writing. I usually listen to soundtracks like LotR and Spiderman 2. Sometimes I'll pop in a non-soundtrack. Maybe I'll try noticing how I write...
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:23 am
Meshugenah says...

sometimes i'll listen, sometimes i won't. i have to have something playing in the backround if it's quiet out, though.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:25 pm
Skye says...

I absolutely _have_ to have music when I write! Anything: soundtracks, latin, J-pop, rock, anything means anything! I don't think I can write without music, come to think of it.
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:39 am
niteowl says...

I don't normally listen to music while I write. This is because I am ditzy and am easily distracted...ooh a paper clip! Shiny...ok where was I? Oh yeah like I said...oh i gotta put that in my backpack cuz i got distracted catching up in the lounge. Anyway...hey we have batteries for my CD player! Finally...

What was I saying again?

O yes if i listen to music I forget that I was writing and end up singing or humming and sometimes dancing.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:53 am
Elelel says...

Ditto Perra! I am sooo paranoid that if I don't have music, everything would be too quiet, and I'd get scared, and I would never be able to consentrate!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:35 am
hawk says...

I listen to music a lot, a helluva lot, but I always take my ear phones off or pause it when I'm writing, I just find it too distracting, too influencial. I don't want something I wrote to turn out like someone elses piece of art.

Reviews: 3
Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:25 am
MinnesotaGurl1 says...

Crysi wrote:I should try that sometime.. I just have trouble listening to music with words while I'm writing. And I've found that if I'm writing a very difficult piece, but I know where I want it to go, I have to turn my music off so I can fully concentrate.

If I'm just writing normally, then there HAS to be some soft music in the background or I get distracted.
same here... its not the music itself that bothers me, its the words. Maybe I should try classical or jazz that doesnt have words. :idea: hmmm... its a possibility ???

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:19 pm
Tessitore says...

Music influences my writing more then it should.

My best writing music is Everclear, especially "Songs From an American Movie, pt. 1" and Stabbing Westward, all albums except for their self titled *bleh*, especially "Darkest Days" and "Ungod".

Marilyn Manson helped with the creation of Morningstar...

Michelle Branch helped some of my more lovey stories...

Snow Patrol helped with some Non-Fiction...

A Perfect Circle helped with some Vampire fiction...

Mercyful Fate and Venom helped with some werewolf fiction...

And it goes on...

So, yes.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:22 pm
Firestarter says...

I always listen to music when I write.

I'm not sure if it has any influence though, at all.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:37 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

[quote="Perra"]I have to have sounds while writing. I guess it's because I'm paranoid and listening to music means I wont hear anything that'll make me more paranoid. quote] i am the exactly the same way
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

Reviews: 3
Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:14 am
Lingering_Shadow says...

I always listen to music when I write. I listen to music constantly though because I'm afraid of silence. So it really has nothing to do with my writing. I actually think it hurts my concentration a bit.

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.
— Mo Willems