z

Young Writers Society

Give a Summary, Make a Title

Random avatar

Reviews: 254
Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:12 pm
mikedb1492 says...

Without considering plot, come up with a title that you find highly intriguing, something that catches your eye and holds you fast. The person after you will then use your title as a prompt to create a story summary.

Just so we're clear, here are the steps, cut and dry:
1) Read the title in the post above yours.
2) Using that title as a prompt, come up with a story of your own. Then write a 1-2 paragraph summary of it.
3) Create your own title for the next person to use.

Note that the title does not need to make any sense in the least (for example: The Existence and Memories of a Ukrainian Codex). It just needs to be intriguing and something the next person can work with.
Also, although it isn't part of this activity, I highly encourage you to take the stories these titles inspire and actually write them. Even if it's just a short story, who knows. It may one day grow into a novel.

Just a last few words: I know this activity may not do much for improving your actual writing ability, but then again, I consider us storytellers before writers, so I believe it's equally, if not more, important. Let's get started then, shall we? The first title will be....

Death International

And remember: This title has no story. It's yours to create.
Last edited by mikedb1492 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to get to heaven without Jesus is like climbing to the summit of Mount Everest naked. You die before it happens.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:36 pm
View Likes
Wariofart says...

Okay, here I go. One paragraph overview of Death International:

Donna is so many races she can't even list them all. A quarter Mexican, 1/16 Japanese, 2/25 Indian. She doesn't know what her culture is, and one day she decides to make a massive family tree to try and make since of it all. As she finds out about her dead relatives, she finally starts to make sense of who she is. While she's doing this, Donna still has a hard time fitting into a Southern school, where racism still rears its ugly head. But the family tree she's making might just change all that.

Sure, a better title would be "Donna's Family Tree", but that's what I came up with.

Next title: "The Attic of Fireflies"
"This is a song for a scribbled out name
That my love keeps writing again and again
And again"

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:56 am
View Likes
hero says...

Sam Bolton entered the family summer home's attic when he was eight years old with the intention of finding something to while away the hours. Instead, he discovers an album, addressed to him; inside are newspaper clippings, starting from the day his sister was born to the day she dies - nine years from now.

While this new knowledge of his sister's impending death gives Sam the mission to try and stop this from happening, as the years go on, he slowly forgets about this. Then, one year before his sister's death will happen, he receives a package; inside is the album. Thus begins his quest to find who compiled the album, how they compiled it, and whether fate can indeed be averted.

[I actually want to write this now.]

Delicate Boy
This guy is so evil you could put him in between two slices of bread and call him an evil sandwich.

Coming at you like a jetpack Shakespeare.

Hero's Reviews
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic53905.html

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:12 pm
ShelraofWaral says...

"Delicate Boy" is a story about the hectic life and struggles of a little boy named Roger. He had huge ambitions and dreams being a successful pilot. But, He and his family live in the poorest slums in a suburban village of South Africa. They lived in a hand to mouth condition. Roger's parents never had enough money to send him school. Life turned bitter for him when her sister passed away on accounts of malaria, a deadly ravaging epidemic disease prevailing in that village. After her demise, Roger was left alone to do the household chores, tend to cattle and do all sorts of odd jobs that her sister was supposed to do. Roger became insensitive to amusements, He considered life as a whorl of chores. He developed a taste, a sense of determination to achieve his dreams. Can Delicate Roger become a successful pilot despite the dangerous epidemic spreading in his village. Or will he be taken up in the chains of death?

Title:
The Day the Sun Didn'T Showed Up
:D
"The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. ~~
Steven Covey "

"For me, writing is a world where I am desperately trying to find my voice"

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:17 pm
View Likes
thehobbitgangster says...

"The Day the Sun Didn't Show Up" is a sci-fi post-apocalyptic story about three teens who have to convince their small town to work together to help make it prosperous once more. Dehlia and her friend Nathan both live on their family's farms in the midwest which both begin to struggle as soon as the sun doesn't show. With the crops wilting, the lack of sun begins to take its toll among the people. Combined with already sour feelings and low levels of Vitamin D, tempers flare and lines are drawn that may not ever be erased. The entire livelihood of the small town depended upon the farms and when they start to die, so do the people's dreams. Can a new boy from Florida, relocating due to the shifting tides of the now flooding oceans, bring with him the knowledge to help save the farms? Or will this small town be so divided it can never be resurrected?

Title:
"Intense Candyland"
A man can change his stars.
William Thatcher ~ "A Knight's Tale"

Just because I'm losing, doesn't mean I'm lost ~ Lost! by Coldplay

213 Reviews

Reviews: 213
Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:58 am
SporkPunk says...

"Intense Candyland" is a dystopian, futuristic novel about a one-world government in a nation known as Candyland. King Kandy rules the Gingerbread People, so named for their golden tan complexions and typical white outfits with colorful accessories, by keeping them under a haze of caramel-flavored propaganda. Queen Frostine and Princess Lolly, leaders of the rebellion faction, are trying to seize King Kandy's power, but are failing miserably. Will Reginald, the snooty scuba instructor from Russia, be able to aid the Queen and Princess in their campaign for freedom? Or will Gloppy, King Kandy's Minister of Information, stop them?

"Bulletproof Cupid"
Grasped by the throat, grasped by the throat. That's how I feel about love. That it's not worth it.

REVIEWS FOR YOU | | Uprising (coming soon!)

56 Reviews

Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:51 am
hero says...

"Bulletproof Cupid": Amy Perall has recently gotten a gun. This is not to protect herself from crime, although there is that; Amy is an advanced form of Cupid, a girl who, rather than use a bow and arrow like a freak from the Middle Ages, uses a gun with bullets of love. When she is arrested, due to a misunderstanding (pulling out a gun at the bank), she is connected with Lyle Howard, a police officer in need of a true love (forty-seven girlfriends, one didn't leave him within a month).

Can Amy fix Lyle up with the perfect girl (who she is adamant to say is not her)? Is Amy steady enough with her gun-of-love, or will she accidentally graze herself?

A Man's Man
This guy is so evil you could put him in between two slices of bread and call him an evil sandwich.

Hero's Reviews

6 Reviews

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:09 pm
View Likes
ShelraofWaral says...

"No force in the world can change the mind of young, zestful man named Clark. His mother is begging for mercy, crying bitterly at his feet. His step dad looks at him with scornful yet pitiful eyes. But, no emotion sweeps through Clark's heart. He knows what he is doing is for his own satisfaction."
This is an excerpt from the actionable, sensational novel "A Man's Man". This novel covers the ambiguous life of Clark Redwood who falls in love with Harry. Harry is the financial advisor for Clark's mother and a best friend with Clark. As their friendship gets stronger everyday, Harry realises Clark isn't a normal human being, but is homosexual. He was also aware of the fact that Clark's mother is highly opposed to gays. She considers them as an outcast of normal, civilised society. Will Harry keep his long term relationship, or will life turn the tables to him.?

Title:
The Priceless Key of a Rubbish Door.
"The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. ~~
Steven Covey "

"For me, writing is a world where I am desperately trying to find my voice"

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:35 pm
Wariofart says...

Julie hates her family. But really, what 15 year old doesn't? She tries to fit in with her cliche, get the jock to fall in love with her, and look beautiful. Everything a teenage girl would want, or at least Julie thinks so. Then her parents give her the to their garage, which is full of crap. And of course, Julie has to clean it. But while she cleans it, she finds a mother bird that has hatched eggs inside the garage. Julie starts to take care of them, and finds out that there's more to high school then what is in movies.

Next title: Everybody Will Love This Book
^Yes, that's the title. I'm serious.
"This is a song for a scribbled out name
That my love keeps writing again and again
And again"

56 Reviews

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:11 am
View Likes
hero says...

Herbert Lansing is a massive egotist/actor who has just written his memoirs; he believes that the world will fall to his feet and pucker up on reading it. However, on publishing it, he discovers that his memoirs have just inspired a lot of people to kill him, notably people reminded of the shame they suffered at his hands. Therefore, Lansing must team up with the (few) fans of his autobiography to try and stop the two hundred, forty-three people (for that is the exact number referenced in the book) from fulfilling their wish to beat Lansing into an early death.

Razor Wire

Hero's Reviews

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:50 pm
Skorpionne says...

Ash Nine used to have a family, and a life, and a home. But when circumstances force her to run away, she finds herself a stowaway in the hold of a cargo ship, her only possession a razor wire.
When Ash is discovered, she is desposited on the nearest island, and left to die.
She manages to build a life for herself, but lonelyness chokes her life, and darkness covers her soul.
And the razor blade waits to be used...

Never
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

Random avatar

Reviews: 254
Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
View Likes
mikedb1492 says...

Never is the story of Johnny Nix, a college student pursuing mathematics and statistics, who begins to notice an increasing frequency of highly improbable happenings. With each improbable happening, the level of unlikeliness increases. It gets to the point where it's so unlikely that Johnny will be the one with the fate of reality on his shoulders, that he does in fact have it put on his shoulders. His enemies are the scientists of this reality-bending government experiment. They turn him to their side when the improbability level reaches the point where it becomes possible. Then at the end of the story, when everyone is sure reality will never be saved, Johnny Nix impossibly turns again and does just that. The entire progress of this story and its improbability, Johnny then finds out, was controlled by an outside, perhaps divine, design, and everything proceeded as it did so he could save the world, no matter how improbable.

Alright, the next title will be....

The Dirge of Yahweh
Trying to get to heaven without Jesus is like climbing to the summit of Mount Everest naked. You die before it happens.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:04 pm
Skorpionne says...

Yahweh is named after God, and some say he is a god. Yahweh is pure, good, helpful, kind, honest and everything positive it is possible to be. However, many spat at his feet, for they believed it was blasphemy naming him after god. One night, Yahweh is murdered by such people. As the death song is sung, one of the murderers snickers. A small act, but it brings down a curse to end all curses upon the village. When the source of the curse is realized, the villagers must work to discover what to do, and how to cleanse The Dirge of Yahweh.

Vert Powder, Rouge Ribbon
Last edited by Skorpionne on Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:23 pm
View Likes
McMourning says...

The wealthy Madam Fanfare has been murdered. Vert powder and a ribbon of rouge (blush) were left at the scene of the crime. Not very much for the police to work with, but as they begin to examine the case, similar murders occur across the country. Is it one person or a cult?, they wonder. When they find connections between the victims, they decide it is not a cult, but a family member. They realize that there are only a few members left to kill, and send guards to each person's home. But, will they catch the murderer in time?

Tasting Lemons
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

6 Reviews

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:54 am
View Likes
LaurenOutLoud says...

Stacy Grey has nothing going for her, nothing. Her boyfriend, Micheal Peters, has broken up with her and the grades she gets in school are beginning to fail. The friends she had seem to ignore her and everything she touches seems to fall apart; she's even considered suicide. She turns herself into a social isolationist and doesn't really talk with anyone anymore. When summer begins Stacy's mom sends her to her grandparents lemon farm. After mopping around for a few days Stacy takes to exploring the orchard filled with almost nothing but lemon trees. She meets Alexander, the young man who helps take care of the trees. She spends a large portion of her days out in the orchard talking and joking with Alex. She realizes her life is just fine, but to soon, the summer is over and Stacy has to go back and face her 'other' life.

The Ridiculous Mr. Lafayette
The whiskey is agreeable but the meat has gone bad

I sleep with reckless abandon!
— Link Neal