z

Young Writers Society

The Showing vs. Telling Game

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:47 pm
thajaro says...

She waited in the reception area. It was a sorry excuse for an airport, just a strip of tarmac and a cabin -sized terminal. But she didn't notice that, didn't care. Off in the distance she could hear a rumbling in the clouds. Her pulse quickened, and a small smile appeared on her lips, quickly growing into a great big grin. She could see the plane, now, its red and blue lights standing out against the dark sky. She would finally be seeing him again.

She walked across the field, disgusted by the mud and rain.
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
-Jules de Gaultier
Humans have not always been the superior race to walk this Earth...
-The Sidhe prince Delbáeth

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:19 pm
Maddy says...

Amelia trudged on, looking down at her perfectly shaved legs. The slop of runny, crap-coloured mud had ruined all that time she spent in the morning moisterising. Lightning slashed across the dark sky. She gazed up and the clouds opened, dumping Heaven's sewerage all on her body. Her hair down stuck to the side of her face, and she let out a shriek. Now she was more eager to get to the end of the field and into the shelter awaiting.

Bailey was obviously afraid of the hairstraighter.
-If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!
-"Careful with that light at the end of the tunnel, it might be another train coming."

This awesome post bought to you by me. :)

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:09 pm
View Likes
Vampiress says...

Bailey nervously, looked at the plug jack on the wall, followed the cord down to the hair straighter, that she was obviously afraid of.

Mackenzie sat on the chair.
whether they start good or bad, Every good writer starts somewhere

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 pm
pinkangel54123 says...

It was all too much for Mackenzie's small frame to bear. The poor girl was barely more than a toddler. Luckily, someone had slid a chair beneath her at just the right moment. She wriggled in its uncomfortable confines, but eventually fell asleep in its starchy embrace.

His back hurt.
Want a heavenly review?

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:54 pm
Lydia1995 says...

He stretched and reached for his walking stick. He placed a hand on the small of his back and lent on his stick while he rubbed the tight muscle, trying to relax and ease the pain.

NEXT - The elevator broke
Thinking about what you COULD achieve will get you no where. You've got to chase your dreams.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=92400 - Need a review?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:10 am
lilchan says...

The lights flickered a dreary yellow, plunging into the depths of the ocean. He could feel the chill of the water seeping into his shoes. He closed his eyes and willed it all to end.

He hid among the crowd.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:20 pm
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

His dark eyes melted into the sea of faces, his height swallowed by the mass of bobbing heads. His flaming red shirt was dulled and absorbed by the flashes of pink, yellow, white and black fabric. He was gone.

The present was exactly what Carrie had wanted.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:32 pm
smorgishborg says...

Carrie unwrapped the meticulously covered box with a fevered enthusiasm, tearing off handfuls of paper, and throwing them behind her like a dog digging in the lawn. The shreds of paper had not yet landed when Carrie's face exploded into a smile, and her cry of delight shattered Uncle Henry's wine glass on the tabletop. She leapt up amid the confetti and spinning shards and yelled to the room the fulfillment of a private philosophy.

"I knew it!" she said.

The teacher corrected Billy's statement that 'General Washington had crossed the Mississippi River to attack the Russians'.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:31 pm
ultraviolet says...

"No," said the teacher, looming over Billy's desk. "I am afraid that is incorrect." This seemed to give the teacher some amusement, for every colorless wrinkle was turned up in a grin that could only be described as maniacal. "George Washington did not cross the Mississippi to attack the Russians. Since your education seems to be significantly lacking, I think I'll give your parents a call." Billy groaned. The teacher sneered and went on to criticize some poor girl's choice of eye makeup.

She spit out her coke.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

78 Reviews

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:24 pm
pinkangel54123 says...

That totally inappropriate joke had caught her off guard. She could feel the laughter bubbling up inside of her. She was afraid to swallow her coke because she thought she would choke. Suddenly, her air supply pushed on the inside of her mouth. She could feel the coke being pushed to the back of her teeth and pushing at her lips. She tried to keep her lips sealed, but the coke burst like a fountain through her pursed lips. The spray faintly reminded her of a sprinkler system. She giggled at her own joke, but when she looked up, she saw that her coke soaked teacher was nowhere near as happy as she was.

---
He drew a beautiful picture.
Want a heavenly review?

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:32 pm
View Likes
TheEvilWithin says...

For hours, nothing but the scratching of pencil on paper could be heard. He drew slowly, tracing the image in his head and then afterwards shading the appropriate areas. He held up his finished piece the moment he deemed it finished, frantically studying the picture with an analytical mind. Minutes later, he finally relaxed, smiling with relief. He could not find a single flaw in his work.

She threw the baby off a cliff.

78 Reviews

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:42 pm
View Likes
pinkangel54123 says...

Her dark eyes were full of love. They were sitting on a cliff; the rapids beneath them were sloshing against it. She cradled the baby lovingly in the crook of her arm. I love you so much, Amy, she thought. This world doesn't deserve your beauty. She stood up and let the wind blow her hair into disarray. With a sad smile, she took a step closer to the edge. Her plan would work. This hateful planet full of war and destruction would not be able to harm her little family any longer. Soon, she would be nestled in the calming light of God. At least, that's what she thought would happen. Hopefully, He will see that I did this for the well being of my child. She hugged Amy to her chest, and tilted her head to the heavens. With one last deep breath, she did a beautiful spin off of the cliff, and when she hit the water, both her and the baby were no more.
He played his guitar.
Want a heavenly review?

Random avatar

Reviews: 254
Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:34 am
mikedb1492 says...

Chords twanged harshly through the amp as Johnny tweaked a few from his Gibson.

And now you:

The one-eyed man shot Caleb.
Trying to get to heaven without Jesus is like climbing to the summit of Mount Everest naked. You die before it happens.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:03 pm
Wariofart says...

Caleb stood, eyes fixed on the strange man before him. Try as he might, he couldn't take his eyes off the beasts, well, eye. Caleb felt completely defenseless in the glow of that singular eye. Then, the man drew his crossbow, his eye still fixated on Caleb. Caleb suddenly gasped as he heard the whiz of the arrow let loose. In an instant, he felt as if a hole had been ripped right through him. Enveloped in pain, he looked down. Sickly red blood covered his chest. He took one last look at the man with one eye, then fell.
--------
Our beloved dog was getting old.
"This is a song for a scribbled out name
That my love keeps writing again and again
And again"

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:23 pm
View Likes
ShelraofWaral says...

He is lying there by the rock since morning. I have tried to make him eat something,but he shook his head away. Maybe he wants to play with me. This thought excited all those previous memories when I played with him. I would throw a ball, and there he would run as fast as he can to catch that ball. I also remember when he felt hungry, he would sneak in the kitchen and steal some biscuits to appease his hunger. I remember that time he would dance to the tune I would be playing with my guitar. He would whistle, roll his massive body all over the floor only to impress me. When I would be sad, He would sit beside me and will never leave unless a smile radiated my face.
But, Now He would do nothing of these things. I shook his body hard. He will definitely play with me. He is my only pet, I cant see him lying lazily. His dull hazel coloured eyes didn't showed the slightest flash of energy. He took a big yawn, looked at me with pitiful eyes. He knew he was the only pet I adored and loved. His eyes reflecting the notion that he was helpless against time. My dog,no my child actually had grown old now. His scarred body had become weak, the joy and strengths in his smile has faded, the faithfulness in his eyes has vanished. I went with a cold heart in my room. He was not only a pet, he was a child to me. I closed my eyes and rejoiced my heart with the memories that we had.
----------------------------------------------(Phew!)
Our precious mobile was lost. Everyone searched for it but none found.
"The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. ~~
Steven Covey "

"For me, writing is a world where I am desperately trying to find my voice"

I cannot separate the aesthetic pleasure of seeing a butterfly and the scientific pleasure of knowing what it is.
— Vladmir Nabokov