Rate the first sentence above you

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:37 pm
Justagirl says...

Um.. I guess I'll rate the first sentence first then them together XD
1. It was great :d kinda catchy... I wanna read the rest
2. Now I wanna read the rest even more :D

Ok, here's my first sentence (I haven't even finished the 1st draft so, that's why it's not better....):

I shoved my hands against the door, watching the long nails scratch my wrist, leaving thin lines of blood.
"Just remember there's a difference between stalking people on the internet, and going to their house and cutting their skin off." - Jenna Marbles

~ Yeah I'm letting go of what I had, yeah I'm living now and living loud ~

Reviews: 2
Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:57 pm
ViVA says...

6/10
It's definitely attention-grabbing, but I had to read it a few times to understand what's going on. Their hands are against the door- wait, they're being scratched? Did someone's fingernails scratch them or are nails sticking out of the door? I think the line would benefit from being split into two sentences, in my opinion. Although I love the description of the nail scratches (whether they're iron nails or fingernails). It made me cringe!

Lisa smiled, though she didn't want to.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:15 pm
MisunderstoodDreamer says...

7/10

It's short, but I know not all sentences are really long. It doesn't give a good idea of what's going on, but you know it's something Lisa isn't happy about. It does give you an idea about Lisa, though. It makes me wish I knew the whole situation!

When I closed my eyes, the audience disappeared, and it was just me playing my piano.
I am a PUZZLE
yet to be put TOGETHER

But at the same time, I'm just one PIECE
still trying to figure out where I FIT IN

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:39 pm
Rosendorn says...

6/10. I think it would make a good line on the first page, but it needs a touch more context to really shine.

I wondered if this was how souls felt, waiting for judgment after death.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:37 am
Sins says...

*Breathes life to thread*

9/10. Very intriguing. This line gives you a sense of what kind of story could be lying ahead and it makes you curious about what's actually happening to the narrator. To get that 10... I'm not sure. I sort of got the tiniest feeling I'd heard it before. Although the line is original, I suppose it could be tweaked to sound that bit more original.

Err, I have to give a line now, right? I'll just pick the first document I find. Might as well.

I used to hate tying my laces.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:24 am
Demeter says...

I love this. That one little sentence already has the quirky feeling that I love in a story (I like to call that Roald Dahlian xD) and it would definitely make me want to read more.

I didn't want to give it a 10/10 because I don't really like doing that, but I can't figure out what the sentence could possibly miss, so here you go, Skins. 10/10.

Lake Adder was absolutely still today.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:03 pm
Lavvie says...

8/10 - wondering how this lake is important within the story and what makes it being calm any more different. I like it!

She can't get past the crows.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:20 am
Paracosm says...

8/10! Definitely a good first line. It makes me wish there was more!

The driveway that twisted and wound a path to Raven Hill Manor had not been disturbed for months.
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:34 am
EnchantedPanda says...

9/10 - That's actually really good! I enjoyed the concept and it was well sequenced, descriptive and it introduced the topic well.

The wind blew into the dimly lit inn and rustled crumbs from a dirty plate.

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:36 pm
tgirly says...

8/10. Slightly cliche.

I remember when I thought it was just a story.
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

Reviews: 3
Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:40 pm
View Likes
NicholasStone says...

8/10
It really makes you think of like a fantasy story or mythology, when you read it carefully.

He dared a glance backwards, looked at the burning place he had used to call home, and took his final steps towards freedom.
He stumbled slightly, the limp in his leg still there. He dared not to look at the place he used to call home. He could feel the heat from the fire, the fire that he himself had ignited. He blinked back tears, as he limped away.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:37 pm
Sins says...

9/10

I love the drama of it. It gets me wondering about the character being spoken of. Did he burn the place he called home? Is he escaping from it? Is he good? Bad? Basically, it gets me asking loads of questions, which is exactly what you need with an opening sentence.

Dear Diary,

Nate said that only girls write diaries but Mummy says I’d make a pretty girl so I think that makes it okay.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:06 pm
IcyFlame says...

9/10

I happen to know a little more about this than just the first sentence but I think it works really well! I still wonder how you're going to carry it on, but that's another matter. It reminds me a lot of a younger version of you; it certainly reflects the way you think. Good luck with it!

Sometimes I think I want to forget and then maybe I would be free from the nightmares.

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:44 am
tgirly says...

8/10; very intriguing, but I'm not sure if it makes complete grammatical sense.

If Amberly could have cried, she would have.
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:33 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

It's interesting, and obviously, gets you wondering about the character's situation. Good job. Also emotional, and makes the reader curious about the main character's feelings.

--

It was a going to be a fateful day, and I knew it the moment I saw the darkly clad man peering at me from across the street in downtown Wildavon as I got on the subway, noticing his pale purple eyes penetrating through my core. That was the day I got dark marked.
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

I think the best thing about making it into the quote generator is when nobody tells you, so one day you're just scrolling and voila, some phenomenally inane thing that crawled out of your dying synapses and immediately regretted being born the second it made contact with the air has been archived for all time. Or worse, a remark of only average inanity. Never tell me when you've put me in the generator. Pride-tinged regret just doesn't taste the same without the spice of surprise.
— SirenCymbaline