z

Young Writers Society

Rate the first sentence above you

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Tue May 25, 2010 10:25 pm
Jagged says...

7/10
Seems like the character's coming out of a period of unconsciousness, so I'm curious as to how that came to be be, but the wording is a bit heavy, especially "conscious thoughts".

This is what you think, as you set yet another one of his victories on paper: if your life were a story, it would not be a very interesting one.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 29, 2010 1:04 am
Rosendorn says...

6/10. It was rather long, and I stumbled over it a few times. I enjoyed the part past the colon, but "as you set yet another one of his victories on paper" is a bit clumsy.

“I don’t see why we should lose a daughter when guards can do a perfectly good job.”
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:49 pm
Tusker93 says...

8/10 - The speech definitely interests me and I'm interested to find out what's happening to this daughter, sounds like the speaker is almost being forced to give his daughter away or something? I don't know though, too early to tell with just the first sentence :P.

"Do you seriously think anyone would let us do that?"

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:02 am
Jagged says...

8/10
I get this nice idea of two troublemakers about to get into even more trouble, or at least the sense that shenanigans are about to occur, which is always a good thing.

He is searching, always searching (empty hands and hollow eyes – where are you?)
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:14 am
Shepherd says...

I like this. It almost got cliched and then...it stopped. Very nice. (so...9/10?)
The world was melting, but not that thornbush—it sat stubbornly at the edge of the sidewalk, all brown and bristly and dead.
Paramedic
Writer
Crazy
Nije vas zahvatila druga kušnja osim ljudske. Ta vjeran je Bog: neæe pustiti da budete kušani preko svojih sila, nego æe s kušnjom dati i ishod da možete izdržati.

367 Reviews

Reviews: 367
Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:23 am
View Likes
Mizzle says...

7.5/10. It's okay; not my favorite, but it would interest me enough to at least read the next few paragraphs.

Okay. I know this is sort of a fail, but here it is:
She let the wind pull her memories away with it.
"Chase your dreams, and remember me, speak bravery,
Because after all, those wings will take you up so high."
-- Owl City, "To the Sky"
✯ ✯ ✯

Reviews: 0
Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:08 pm
View Likes
butterflyflutterby2 says...

thats isnt a fail! it really good

"Brooke you dont even wear makeup" "i do i wear nail polish!" "That so does not count" "yea it does its in my make up box"
"Royalties are the money you earn each week after publishing a book..." "Okay" "Guess where i learned that from?" "Were?" " SIMS3!"

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:57 am
View Likes
SnapesOnAPlane says...

3/10
More than one sentence, and riddled with errors =/

Eight years before her death, Ayumi walked somberly across the dew-soaked morning grass to a little clearing of trees.
But whether James really did take off Snape's pants, Harry never found out.

Reviews: 3
Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:53 pm
View Likes
Pritt says...

9/10
I like it a lot. :3 The adjectives, etc., give really good imagery, but they're sort of cumbersome, and you have to reread the sentence to fully understand it. Maybe you could cut them down a little?

It was a bad part of town, a dangerous place for a girl like her to wander alone. And that, she knew, was the reason she went there.
"The next person that offers me pity will be mentioned by name in my suicide note."
- Jeff Winger

:o!

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:13 am
View Likes
Twit says...

10/10
I like it, it sets up the scenario, acts as a hook and gives us a bit of character development all at once.

The sun was rising over the moor. The horizon bled purple into the sky, then melted into pink, peach and gold before meeting the blaze of white gold sunlight.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:29 pm
View Likes
Ranger Hawk says...

8/10
It's a very nice description, and I love that the setting seems to be in the moors. However, there are a lot of adjectives, especially colors, to make it all feel a little clichéd. That being said, I'd still read on. :)

I watched with baited breath as the warrior advanced through the dark chamber, sword in his hand and shield upon his arm.
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:10 pm
View Likes
iceprincess says...

9.5/10 :D
I think it's pretty good! It made me want to continue reading the story.

Little snowflakes swirled around him as he silently trudged through the snow, his hands buried deep in his pockets. It had been years since it last snowed, he recalled.
you'll never find another sweet little girl with sequined sea foam eyes
ocean lapping voice, smile coy as the brightest quiet span of sky
and you're all alone again tonight; not again, not again, not again.
and don't it feel alright, and don't it feel so nice? lovely.

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:43 pm
retrodisco666 says...

8/10. I really liked it. It makes it seems tranquil and sad at the same time.

I opened my eyes to see white walls, and a doctor.
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:36 am
Twit says...

9/10

Cool! It's a great hook and I'd definitely read on. I don't know though, it's a little impersonal, which is why only the 9 and not a full 10. I'm not sure how you can rememdy that, though; it's very good as it is.

In the gloom of the Breeding Hut, the two humans eyed each other warily.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:32 am
TalaPaulwic says...

7/10
Well written, but you make it sound like we know "the two humans" when we have no idea what they are.

The night was hot, and wet...wait, that's humid.
All I can hear; "I me mine, I me mine, I me mine". Even those tears; "I me mine, I me mine, I me mine". No one's frightened of playing it. Everyone's saying it. Flowing more freely than wine. All through your life; "I me mine".

"Perhaps it is better to wake up after all, even to suffer, rather than to remain a dupe to illusions all one's life."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening