z

Young Writers Society

Rate the first sentence above you

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:23 am
View Likes
Night says...

7/10. I kinda like this. I'd read the rest of the paragraph. I'd like to know who they are...but it's, kinda vague about the scenery, but I'm guessing that you already have that in the next few sentences. Sorry if I sound harsh. I don't like to be.

The screams were back again tonight.

Reviews: 4
Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:39 pm
View Likes
kmb_7803 says...

8/9.5
beautiful imagery. Nice. I really like it.

“Jesus Christ, it’s early,” I think bitterly as my perfect dream world is shattered by the radio edited version of “My Humps”.
K

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:40 am
View Likes
Octave says...

6/10

It provides good insight to the character, but I'm not really compelled to read more.

Rayne had two choices: either she took the help offered her by the injured wild angel and risk torture, or she refused his help and prayed that the Differs coming after him would give her a chance to speak before shooting them both with bullets filled with enough chemicals to render an extinct blue whale brain-dead.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:18 am
Bickazer says...

7/10

I like how it immediately throws a conflict at the reader, and the details it reveals about your world. I'd definitely want to read more, but whoa...it's a mouthful to digest. Took me two read-throughs to fully understand it. Cut it in two.

Am I the only normal person aboard this little tin can—sorry, I mean, Galactic Navy Starbase?
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:34 am
View Likes
Evi says...

5/10

The attempt at humor seemed a little off, and I don't like the mention of a Starbase in the first sentence. For some reason, the sentence just sounded forced. Maybe the paragraph around it is better, but I'm just not feeling that particular line. :?

Exactly seven minutes before Julia Haverty died, she was forging her father’s signature.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:36 am
Rosendorn says...

9/10

I loved the conflict, the mystery and the precigion just makes the work come alive instead of dragging it down.

The splendour of the night dropped away as the door creaked open.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:14 am
View Likes
Khe Sahn says...

8/10. It gets me worried about what's behind the door.

And suddenly, she ceased to exist.
99% of people die when killed. If you are in the 1% who doesn't, put this in your signature.

1272 Reviews

Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:28 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Um, 6/10. I'm interested, but how rather odd the sentence is (and the rather large "why" question behind it) pushes me away.

"Are there any assassins in the crowd, Kerani?"

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:56 pm
View Likes
Hawkie says...

8//10 Nice. I definitely want to know what these people are doing.

"Do you want to come with me and see the dragons this afternoon?"

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:39 pm
View Likes
Lorrilrakest. says...

- It's a bit odd, and you obviously need the rest of the context, but short and attention demanding.

"It was an iconic image - the clean white towel stained with the crystalline red blood."
"Who needs God when you've got me?"
- Jessica Sanders

"Didn't I throw you out a window?"
- Jessica Sanders

www.drizzlefilm.com

1272 Reviews

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:09 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

2/10

Doesn't do anything for me. "An iconic image" ruins all conflict in the first line, and I didn't really have a reason to read on. The "2" is because in context it might be better, but once I'd read "iconic image" and the rest of the sentence loaded with adjectives ("crystalline" not fitting with "blood" in my opinion), I didn't really want to read on.

Hit the switch, we're ready.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:48 am
View Likes
Krupp says...

8/10. Sounds like the beginning of an action-adventure novel, or something by Hunter S. Thompson hahaha. Not a bad start at all.
-------------------------------------------

The girl was on the television screen again, and this time Marty had a hard time taking his eyes off of her.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:53 pm
View Likes
Evi says...

Mm, I actually like that a lot. It offers both conflict (why is this girl on television?) and some character insight (Marty not being able to take his eyes off of her). My only possible suggestion would be to be sure and explain why it she wasn't as interesting/attractive/whatever to look at the first time, because you say 'this time'. But that's being extremely picky.

All she wanted was a day off.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:44 pm
View Likes
emmylou1995 says...

Um...I'll give this a 6.4. It doesnt explain enough for me. She is who? Wanted a day off from what? Little more description.

Mine:
People say that if there is a red sun it means that blood will be spilled.
When all you have is nothing, there is alot to go around.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:51 am
Krupp says...

Niiiice...I mean that. I don't know why, it just has that cool feel to it. 9/10.
---------------------------------
I stand here, alive and breathing, despite your will.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

'This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy