Rate the first sentence above you

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:46 pm
View Likes
Twit says...

4/10

Mm, all right. It's interesting, but a bit too vague and abstract for the very first sentence. I'd feel more inclined to read on if I had a better, firmer idea of what's happening. It's too sketchy and thought-y, you know?

I knew Myrddin before anyone else did.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:51 pm
View Likes
Evi says...

6/10

I like it, but the strange name makes my tongue trip on the very first sentence, which kind of bothers me. Perhaps hit us with the pronunciation roadblock after you've already grabbed our attention?

The meeting had been going unusually well—until we found the dead body.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:48 pm
Krupp says...

8/10 great way to start off, and until you read the entire sentence, you have no idea what's going to happen. Even then, the ending will guarantee interest in the future.

"We knew what we were getting into, and there was no going back."
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:47 pm
View Likes
nixonblitzen says...

6/10

Uhn. I don't really want to continue reading because it seems like it'll throw me into something I don't understand and it'll be seven pages before it makes any sense. As a sentence though, I like it.

When you were a baby, you could crawl around on the floor under the pew and play.
"He found his voice tended either to disappear or to come out too loud." -William Golding

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:45 pm
View Likes
Hawkie says...

6/10 It sounds interesting, it's creative, but there's no hint of a conflict anywhere.

"Night had fallen upon the forest, but there was no rest to be found there."

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:53 pm
View Likes
Teufelshund says...

^ 6.7/10, not bad at all. Half expected "it was dark, it was stormy,it was mysterious, etc etc" but you added the "there was no rest to be found there." Good sentence with that last crucial part, short but throws the reader off in a good way. I'd read the next line at least.

Stomping on the pedal, mashing the brakes - racing, flying, shooting my desires and projecting my lusts onto the twin yellow lines ahead.
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:06 pm
View Likes
foxfire says...

I'll give you 5/10

i like the imagery but the adverbs or adjectives used to describe the scene seem to be overused.

i don't get when you mean racing,flying, shooting my desires.

it seems random and i don't know how it relates to the sentence

Call me Iniyuki, Yuki for short and by far, i am what you call, a geisha "
John McClane: Drop it. It's the police.
Tony: You won't hurt me.
John McClane: Oh, yeah? Why not?
Tony: Because you're a policeman. There are rules for policemen.
John McClane: Yeah. That's what my captain keeps telling me

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:33 pm
Twit says...

4/10

It's too long with too much in it. Is that a run-on? You've two points in there and the sentence only has room for one. Points however for throwing geishas in there; that makes me want to read on.

I love my job.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:53 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

9/10.

Since most people hate their jobs, it prompts a lot of curiosity as to why. I almost gave you a 1, though, because the line does not have conflict so we ask "why should we care?"

The splendour of the night dropped away as the door creaked open.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:15 am
View Likes
Angels-Symphony says...

8/10

When I first read it, I thought it was one of those cliche lines where someone's having a dream and then it gets ruined when they wake up, but then I thought about the other possibilities and changed my mind.

She stood above all else and stared down at her world.
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:30 pm
View Likes
WaterVyper says...

9/10

It's definitely intriguing (how can she have her own world, why is she at the top). However, I think that it's a bit vague.

Anna had always wondered why the Aztec civilization had so firmly believed in the end of the world.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Random avatar

Reviews: 150
Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:13 am
View Likes
200397 says...

6/10. I think it would be better if you took out the "Anna always wondered" part, and started out with the end of the world belief, and then when you're finished with that, say something like: "Anna was always fascinated" or something.

When we are born, before we learn to laugh or sleep or eat, the first thing we do is cry.

~Sunny

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:49 pm
View Likes
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

9/10 I like that. I'd probably read more. It's actually true, I've never thought about that before. It's a nice hook, makes me want to read more.

Never in my life have I been scared to death.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

Random avatar

Reviews: 150
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:08 am
View Likes
200397 says...

9/10. I think it would be more intriguing if you added something that was like "until I . . ." whatever. Because just leaving it like that seems a little anti-climatic. Unless, of course, you put more in the following sentences, which you probably have. :lol:

"I am fourteen years old, and I am going to die."

~Sunny

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:38 am
View Likes
Linx says...

8/10

I usually like beginning sentences to that, because I always laugh at them. XD

"The scenry was mostly the same as they drove along in silence."
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

"Be happy, my friend; and if you obey me in this one request, remain satisfied that nothing on earth will have the power to interrupt my tranquility."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein