z

Young Writers Society

Rate the first sentence above you

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:12 pm
Vervain says...

5/10. You have a lot of information in this sentence, and a lot of it is conflicting and distracting. The last clause feels like a non sequitur, and there shouldn't be a hyphen in "eight years", because "years" is the measurement. (Think of it this way, would you say a foot is twelve-inches long or twelve inches long?) It could be interesting, but it needs a grammatical reworking so there's something tying the two parts together—while non sequiturs can be interesting, they're weak enough without the support of a following paragraph, and you want your hook to be able to stand on its own.

---

They buried my uncle on a pale summer day.
stay off the faerie paths

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:29 am
Seraphinaxx says...

7/10

It's quite short, but that isn't a problem because it still gives you a sense of the tone of the story. It also starts off the action right away.

~

The sound of running footsteps was what woke him.
Review for a review :)

Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it and it will never be used to hurt you. Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:32 pm
Lefty says...

9/10

I really like it! It grabs your attention and throws you right into the story. Nice hook.

~

The room spun when I heard of the Queen's death, but not because she had died, because I was the princess.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

425 Reviews

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:39 am
Vervain says...

5/10. It's too long, with too many ideas and clauses that don't exactly fit together well. It might be better if you had a dramatic pause before the last clause, instead of the weak comma pause, but as it is your extra clauses are weakening the concept. Just "The room [...] death" would be an adequate first line, I think. Cut it down to a simple statement.

---

They buried my uncle on a pale summer day.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:58 am
Lightsong says...

6/10 It's short, but it can grab the attention of the readers since there are many things left unsaid. In terms of grammar, I can see none here.

---

There are many things that we cannot comprehend; some of those we want to understand, others we left untouched out of fear.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:56 am
Apricity says...

5/10 It holds promise and shows a bit of what might come, but the content itself is very cliche. Those facts are known by most, if you're going to illustrate something like that. You might as well show us an example instead of saying it.

They said it was autumn when she died, and in winter, she was resurrected.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:43 am
Clickduncake says...

3/10
This isn't a bad opening line, just a pet peeve of mine. You see, you're being obscure about this "she" when there is no need to be. What was this girls relationship with the main character? Was it his mom? Sister? Girlfriend? Don't be obscure just for the sake of being obscure.

I killed myself because I had to save the world.
You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks! -Walter White

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:15 am
View Likes
Clickduncake says...

7/10
A very interesting twist on the save the world sub genre. Though, it does seem to lack much character motivation/a way of getting across a sympathetic protagonist.

All she wanted was a cup of water.

(Yes, I know I cheated but I wanted to bump the thread and not look like a stupid doing it.)
You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks! -Walter White

472 Reviews

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:04 am
Lightsong says...

5/10

This sentence welcomes many interpretations - some would say the character is thirsty, while others would say she is tired of her life, or busy schedule, and just wants to relax. It needs follow-up sentences.

She walked to me and sat besides me.

(Just realized I should post the first sentence of my short story XD)
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

425 Reviews

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:36 am
Vervain says...

4/10. It's a little too vague for me, gives us no sense of setting, conflict, or really character, and doesn't set the tone—all things that you should probably have from the get-go (the first paragraph or so) in a short story. In addition, "besides" is incorrect in this usage; it should be "she sat beside me", as "besides" with the S on the end means essentially the same thing as "except".

---

Airplanes had never agreed with Audrey's stomach.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:53 pm
birk says...

6/10

It's a pretty interesting opening. You can tell you're about to get introduced to a new character right off the bat, and hey, she's on a plane. Somebody's going somewhere. I like it.

---

Everyone thought he was faking it, but everytime Daniel Fisher put a pen to the paper and tried to write his name, he somehow always wrote 'Jesus'.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:46 pm
Holysocks says...

9/10 I would read it to the bitter end. That is a hilarious opening line- and I'm pretty sure I don't need to say why!- For starters, you begin with making us wonder why people are thinking he's a faker. Naturally, I want to know why they think he's a fraud.... AND THEN. There just isn't anything to say. I put it as a nine 'cause I'm not suppose to like J-Daug. o0

She was terrified of sneezing.
100% autistic

472 Reviews

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:31 am
Lightsong says...

6/10
Hmm, this sentence makes me think. And i don't lile thinking, so I want more explanation regarding this. Does it trigger my curiosity? Yes. Is it impressive? Not really.

She walked to me and sat besides me.

- David L. Ulin

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:12 am
FaulknerCannes says...

3/10. This sentence doesn't really make me think, hence it's not really that interesting. Sorry.

In complete darkness, Slove grasped for the light.

425 Reviews

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:16 am
Vervain says...

4/10. It's cliché and contradictory—if Slove is in complete darkness, how are they grasping for light? It feels almost like you're trying to push a metaphor across clumsily in the first sentence, but you end up confusing the reader. Decide: Is it completely dark, or is there light?

---

Airplanes had never agreed with Audrey's stomach.

"The day, which was one of the first of spring, cheered even me by the loveliness of its sunshine and the balminess of the air. I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, revive within me. Half surprised by the novelty of these sensations, I allowed myself to be borne away by them, and forgetting my solitude and deformity, dared to be happy."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein