z

Young Writers Society

"There's nothing common about a commonplace book"

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 pm
sofi says...

...as a writer for The Times so appropriately put it.

It's something I've been doing for a while now. I note down anything and everything into a notebook. Passages for a book/ poem that I particularly like. Things which made me laugh, interesting facts, parts of interesting conversations I've had or just a good bit of a dialogue from a conversation, random sentences that pop into my head, character/setting ideas :D

Really anything at all. It's great to flick back through it for inspiration (or just any time you feel like it for that matter).

Anyway, it's something I really enjoyed doing and I'm sure a tonne of other people on here do it too, so I thought I'd share for those who don't, and for those who do you can always post something on this thread which you noted down.

You never know, you might inspire someone else :wink:

P.S. Let me know if you try this and enjoy it, or if it's successful and helpful. I'd like to hear about it :D
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:55 pm
Carlito says...

I kind of do this.
I don't have one specific notebook for it though. If something comes to mind I just write it down on the nearest available paper. :)
I enjoy it though. I would forget these ideas otherwise and sometimes they are extremely little tidbits :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1333
Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:05 pm
Hannah says...

I definitely agree with you. A while ago, I thought about it but thought how cumbersome it would be to carry a book/paper/something everywhere with me. I'm kind of weird like that. However, just recently I got this cute little notebook and have been carrying it in my purse with me. My mind is like a sieve, I swear, and since I've had that notebook handy, I won't forget the little ideas that pop in my head for my novel, phrases that happen to swim through my mind that I'd otherwise have let go to drown in the sands of time, and well, yeah, I can keep track of 'things to do' a lot better as well.

I second your recommendation to use a commonplace book, especially if you find you're somewhat scatterbrained! ^_^ -thumbs up-

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:11 pm
Krupp says...

...personally? I've tried this 'writing whatever down' thing before, and it never did jack for me. I suppose it works for some while just being an annoyance to others.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:07 pm
View Likes
KailaMarie says...

I have tried it, but I never seem to have the notebook with me when I come up with an idea. And even when I do have it with me, I don't usually bother writing anything down unless I think it's REALLY worthwhile, and in that case, I usually don't forget it anyway. I think it's a really good idea, but for me personally, it's not very practical.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:17 pm
WaterVyper says...

I never really did it. I mostly just let the things sink to the back of my mind and some of them float back up if I'm really, really brain dead. It helps.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under pressure.
— Unknown