z

Young Writers Society

Unique ways to creat names.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:05 pm
shadowbox says...

I have in the past, had trouble coming up with names. Without a name, I cannot go on! What is a character without a name? So in a pinch, I use this method

I take any house hold product, though I am found of shampoos or detergents, and read the list of ingredients. You would be surprised to find the interesting names aback your favorite conditioner.

A few I found on a bottle of Aussie Three Minute Miracle HairReconstruct or Treatment

Avenna Sativa

Cerin Torius

Casien Barbadani

I will add that these only work really for science fictiony/ fantasy names

Any one else have unique ways of making up names?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:36 pm
Demeter says...

Well, I don't know whether this is very unique or not, but I like to take any words from the dictionary and/or change them a little bit.

In this one story, I had a Satin, a Cinnamon and a Jubiley, for example. I mean, I still do, I just haven't written it for a long time.

I've also started to think that Bienvenue would be kind of a cool name (French for welcome).

This is what I got out of my face cream bottle: Methoxycinnamate. :D
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:55 pm
Rosendorn says...

I have a baby name book with over 100,000 names. Works wonders when your culture is based off a non-western one.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:31 pm
OverEasy says...

Normally I just leave a blank spot where the characters name should be until the name comes to me, but if I try to "find" it I get really lame names. Maybe that's just me.
Life is for living.

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:51 pm
Bleeding Rose says...

Oh my goodness! I thought that I was the only one who got names off of the ingredients label on the back of things! I get them off of everything and sometimes I just have a cool and never used before name come to me. Like Corinna, for example. I have never heard of anyone named that before and I was just being crazy with my friends and it came to me! It was like BAM! Right in the face! You know? Well, I don't have any unique ways of finding names because I just do whatever that will help me come up with one. I am a copy-catter!:P
Rite 2 meh lyk dis...and I shoot you.~Unknown
I'm the future of America. Be afraid. Be very afraid~Unknown
If you're blonde and you know it clap your hands *Snap* *snap*
If you're reading this...you're finished reading.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:54 pm
M Dragon says...

Before, I just pick a letter for the first letter in the name, favorite is z, and then just say it aloud with this and that. Its fun. Zensen. Just came to me.

If I need real names, I look them up at this awesome site. www.babynamesworld.com
Ello everybody!
Wazzup! Immortatily is something I shall soon achieve!

1272 Reviews

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:37 pm
Rosendorn says...

Wohoo! I thought I was the only one that used that site!

Another one that I've heard of is This one. It looks good.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:05 pm
Carlito says...

This is kind of strange but when I get my school directory I sit down and read through all the names and write down all the cool, unique names I like. I have this document on my computer with names I've collected from various sources that I really like. Whenever I'm in need of a good name I always look there for one that seems to fit.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:44 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

This sounds completely crazy;
choose a language, or multiple languages, type your character's characteristics (Eg witty, intelligent, brave) translate them into the language, then choose parts of each word and put them together until you have a name you like :)
so say it was French
and your character was clever, beautiful and not very tall (for lack of better examples_
clever - intelligente (I think)
beautiful - belle (feminine) or beau (masc)
small - petite

example:
Tellite
hahah sounds strange :lol:
x
for what are we without words and stories?

1272 Reviews

Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:52 pm
Rosendorn says...

That's-- that's really unique! I'll have to try that some time!

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:12 pm
sofi says...

I found Persea Gratissi on the back of my hair cream I thought that worked quite well :D
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

11 Reviews

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:31 am
shadowbox says...

Here are a few I have came up with from ingredients or other odd things

Tabasio - (Tabasco if you change the c to an i ) Very Italian, I have used it TWICE! i like it so much!

Madein Indo - (Made In Indonesia) It has nice ring Mah-dee-anne Indoh

Neua Traair - (Nuetra Air!)

Cerin Torius - (Shampoo)

Avena Casien - (shampoo)

Annius Barbadani - (conditioner)

Althea Amyl - (conditioner)

Lavandula Einatmen (perfume)

Salvia Van Kindren (shampoo)

Stehten Dricht (fave!)

Fernhaulten Gerbrauch ( think large Swedish milk maid?)

11 Reviews

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:09 am
shadowbox says...

Oh have a character names Calbien D'Lumier, and Lumier means Light in French.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:34 am
lilymoore says...

I've found some of my favorite names from other books actually, especially historical novels. They have a very unique variation of names. Another great place to find names is through your past. Look back into your file of people you've met in the past and steal a name or two here and there. Its one of the best ways of finding names.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:58 am
Icaruss says...

I just choose the most mundane names possible. Anything exotic sounds exotic. When has anybody ever met anybody named Avellina or Xerxes? Unless I wanna make a point (like people living in Peruvian shanty towns having badly spelled English names like Jhonny and Gharet), I just give them regular names and rip off somebody's last name.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune