z

Young Writers Society

You know you're a writer when...

Reviews: 0
Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am
AWJO224 says...

You know you're a writer when you
-Dream about your characters every few days.(I got some of my ideas from what I dreamed)
-When You relate a person to a character of yours

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:51 am
Matthews says...

You know you're a writer when:
You use fancy words and vocabulary and start making up poems, dramatic scenes, etc. around people, who then think you are insanely weird.

Going anyplace or doing anything, some brilliant idea suddenly comes to you and you develop a urge to immediately write it down.

People often accuse you of day dreaming, which, no, you are not doing...you are merely planning something awesome in your inner mind.
Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed, for the lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:10 am
View Likes
psudiname says...

you know you're a writer when you meet a new person, and the first thing you think about is that you should use their name for your next main charecter because you like how it sounds.
you know you're a writer when you start thinking in third person.
you know you're a writer when you get VERY ANGRY because your favorite charecter in the book you were reading dies, and you comment that you would have kept him alive if you were the author.
if anyone wants a review, post on my profile and I'll get to it in a couple days.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:28 am
WrittenSoul says...

...you're reading your college application, find a grammer mistake, and barely resist the urge to put a giant red circle aroud it. (True story.)
...you're reading an online form for the college you're going to, find yet another grammer mistake and must resist the urge to send the webmaster in charge of the webpage an e-mail about it. (Just for the record, they misused "it's" and "its". Major pet peeve.)
...you see an item in a store and think, "Oh [CHARACTER] would love this!"...and then you buy it.
"What you learn for yourself, you will know forever."
- Eugenides, A Conspiracy of Kings

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:49 am
airforcegirl says...

when you start having arguments with characters you have a permanent writer's block with.

so true! i do that all the time!
-when you daydream constantly and rewind and change the story that's going on and try to perfect everything (true story)
-when you sit in the shower letting it shower you with story ideas (it works!)
Air force!

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:50 pm
fireheartedkaratepup says...

I don't have time read all 29 pages. XP

You know you're a writer when:
you want to correct EVERYTHING.
your friend(s) post a poem on facebook, and you write a review.
you can't watch your favorite movie without wondering about the unknown aspects of certain characters.
you plan out conversations with real people that you never actually have. (?)
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:11 am
View Likes
springs616 says...

You know you're a writer when life is one big storybook and you constantly narrate it in your head.

I did that for YEARS, and it got really old though so I finally trained myself to stop, but I still do it sometimes. :]

I can't believe how many of you said you did that! That makes me really happy. I found myself doing that a long time ago. Finally, I got myself to quit, but I can still do it when I'm bored, it's just voluntary now.

You start planning your NaNo as soon as you finish editing your last one, but it's killing you that you have to wait until November to actually write it.

You can type perfectly without looking at the screen, and this talent is used so that you can look at people when they're trying to socialize with you without putting a halt to your writing.

Your characters annoy you because they don't have as good of grammar as you and writing their dialogue goes against everything you believe.

Every text, internet post, or IM message you write has flawless grammar and is reread at least once so that wording is perfect.

Your friends make fun of you because you're constantly pausing in mid-sentence because you can't think of the most appropriate word for the sentence, and just any synonym won't do.

You prefer assignments without size requirements because you don't have to limit yourself, not because you don't have to write as much.

You understand why you're such good friends with someone when you notice them avoiding dangling participles.

Using the wrong form of a word is the most embarrassing thing you could possibly do, and you constantly give your friends a hard time for any such offence that they might commit.

You typically ignore Spell-Check because it only ever marks unique character names that you haven't yet added to your dictionary or grammar rules that you obviously understand better than it does.

You have a host of Word documents which depict certain important or memorable events in your life, written in past tense third person prose.

People called you "Turbo-Type" in high school.

You had a computer that wasn't connected to the internet for a year and you still used it every day for hours.

During November, you spent the evening at your Computer Science major friend's house, and she had to divvy up all of her computers between you and your friends so that everyone could work on their novels.

You know that, once a story has been called into existence, it's not your job to decide what happens, it's your job to discover what happens, and often things fit together much better than they ever could have had you made up everything yourself.

Once you have a novel's outline figured out, you entertain yourself at night by choosing a scene at random and writing it in your head or listening to the small talk of your characters during that time in the book.

You can have a conversation with someone who isn't there in a situation you've never been in and find yourself so emotionally involved you start crying.

You watch the vlogbrothers and it upsets you that they know so many writers and you have no one who understands your passions.

You like reading multiple books by the same author and guessing things about that auther by the content of his/her books, then doing research on the author to see if you were right.
"If wishes were horses we'd all be eating steak," ~ Jayne Cobb

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:18 am
Carlito says...

You'd rather sit at home and work on your novel, with the full knowledge that you will quickly become frustrated, annoyed, angry, and have the desire to give up and delete the whole thing; instead of going out with your friends, with the full knowledge that you'll have a great time with them.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:48 am
katngo73 says...

You know you're a writer when you think of something sooooooo boring and suddenly find out that it seems so spectacular, and rush to YWS to submit it???
“There’s no point in being grown up if you can’t act a little childish sometimes.”-The Fourth Doctor
"Who I was, what I did, that's not who I am." - Castiel
"Friends protect you." - John Watson

Random avatar

Reviews: 156
Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:52 am
View Likes
McMourning says...

--When you rewrite real life in your head to make it sound better... I do that. I'll think something like, "Why'd she say that?" And begin to think about what I would have had her say and how the other person/people would respond.

--When you can tell another writer by how they talk and think

--When you have a bookcase full of notebooks
"One voice can be stronger than a thousand voices, " Captain Kathryn Janeway

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:10 am
BluesClues says...

You know you're a writer when in the middle of a conversation with friends you suddenly say, "Hey, I could use that in my story!"

You know you're a writer when you feel that there should be a group named Journal-holics Anonymous to help people like you. (Please tell me I'm not the only one addicted to buying nice new blank journals?)

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:19 am
purpleandblue22 says...

When you risk loosing points on an biology assignment because the teacher used bad grammar and you felt the need to correct her, many times.
"When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often suprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."Ralph Waldo Emerson

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:17 am
BluesClues says...

I do SO many of those ones in that very long post three or so posts above this one...

My boyfriend gets SO frustrated with me over this one:

Carlito says...

You'd rather sit at home and work on your novel, with the full knowledge that you will quickly become frustrated, annoyed, angry, and have the desire to give up and delete the whole thing; instead of going out with your friends, with the full knowledge that you'll have a great time with them.

-you have long, involved conversations with yourself in the car as if someone else is actually in the car with you.
-you kill off a character in a story, start crying because you didn't want to kill him off, and then, when your friends ask you why you don't just NOT kill him off, tell them, sobbing, "Because that's not the way it happened!" ...even though it's a fictional story.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:42 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

You have at least 5 books about how to write a good novel and have tried all of them to help you.

You've read a book before and literally cried because it was so emotionally moving to you.

Your characters, while being written, create actual reactions on your face in response to their actions.

When you read a book you start writing like the author for awhile.

You have a list of quotes about writing on your social networking sites, or even on your computer or notebook or journal, to help you out for inspiration when you need it.

You always have something "more" to say, whether you actually get the chance to say it or not.

Your brain gets ahead of your pencil/pen, but you type faster than you speak.

You read books even when you absolutely hate them just to gain something knowledgeable from them.

You've imagined your story as a movie before.

You spend a lot of time writing the things you write.

You observe acutely, you acknowledge every detail in your life, you narrate what happens to you sometimes, and this seems perfectly normal to you.
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:07 am
ShootingStars says...

You know you're a writer when you take a simple idea and transform it into a complex, spectacular creation!
Or when you stare in the mirror, pretending to be carrying on a conversation with a character in your book.
Also, if you're reading a novel and every little mistake you notice. This happens with me A LOT and it gets frustrating! It's like a little red flag that goes up screeching, "Hey! There needs to be a semicolon here! Right there should be a better adjective! And the author forgot a comma! Oh my gosh!"
Yeah...
---Shooting Stars
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

True belonging doesn’t require you to change who you are, it requires you to be who you are.
— Brené Brown