z

Young Writers Society

Seven minutes

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:30 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

*looks around in awe*

Wow...it's been a REALLY long time since I've posted. *sniffles* I missed you all! :)

Anyway, onto the activity. I'm going to give you a word prompt, and you give yourself seven minutes. You don't necessarily have to USE the word prompt, but you do have to write consistently for seven minutes. It can be nonsense, it can be a poem, it can be a conversation between two characters in your story - whatever - but the point is to write. Ready? On your mark...get set...go!

Prompt:

falcon
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Reviews: 1
Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:02 pm
Amimone says...

Ok, sunshine, I'm giving it a try :D

____________________________________________________________________________________________

"I noticed the way you look upon the sky. Could it be that you want the clouds to answer all your questions? That can't be."

"You don't know that", said Anne, this time looking straight at James, "Before being clouds, they were drops of water that fell on Earth and slided through forests, city streets, the walls of your house. But the sun didn't like the way they were going and decided it was enough. And so he dragged them over to the sky yet again, to form clouds. They want to be set free, but they can't because of their brother. Just like me."

"Your brother only wants the best for you, Anne. You should stop looking so desperate. He has never done anything to harm you. His actions may look agressive but that's just because we can't enter his head and he doesn't allow himself to share his content."

Anne sighed. Maybe James was right. But she wasn't the type of girl that would give up so soon.

"I have a theory, you know. Even if they rise to the skies, the drops won't lose their memories of the time they spent in contact with the land. That's why, when they are clouds, they assume the form of people's most deep wishes. And that's why, over there, I see a dragon, I see a fish. I see a falcon; that's ought to be me."

James opened his mouth but then thought better and said nothing. Sometimes the best thing to do was to hold her hand and give Anne all his strenght.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

And now to give another word...

ribbon

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:10 pm
Bickazer says...

Okay, here goes--

-------------

I held her ribbon in my hands, and turned my eyes to the sky.

The clouds hung low and gray and stormy; the grass in the fields blew bent in the breeze. He stood across the field, his arms clasped behind his back, gazing in the distance. Wind chimes sounded bell-like in the distance, and the smell of earth was heavy and wet in the air.

"It's been a long time," he said.

"Too long," I agreed.

"When did she--when was this--three years ago?" he said.

"Three and a half," I said. "It's June now. It was January when we met."

"Ah." Nothing more. The wind whipped stronger, blew my hair, threatened to tear her ribbon from my hands. I squeezed my hand into a tight fist, enveloping her ribbon in the darkness.

"She was..." I paused. He cast a sideong glance at me, his eyes hidden beneath his sunglasses.

"What?" he said. His tone was curious, but in a detached way, like he was a scholar who wanted the answer to an interesting academic question.

"She was...I don't know. I don't think I was fair to her in the end," I said, struggling to explain what I was feeling--but failing. I just couldn't put my myriad swirling thoughts into words.

"What does that mean?" Maybe a little disdain had entered his voice. I couldn't tell. The air was heavy, oppressive; the clouds were going to break open and storm soon. I shivered.

"I don't know," I said.

"You seem quite fond of saying that." Again, the academic disinterest pervading his voice.

"Well..." I paused. The wind tore at my jacket, threatening to rip it off my body. I wrapped my arms tightly around myself--and in the process, let go of her ribbon.

I stared, shocked and silent, at the ribbon, buffeted by the wind, blowing away in the distance. My mind couldn't move--my body felt like lead. I could only stand, and stare, as that stupid little strand of black cloth grew smaller and smaller in the distance, victim of the storm...

He watched as well, silent. Then he said, his voice ringing across the empty field, "Let's go inside."

I stared in the distance, straining my eyes, but saw nothing--no speck of black dancing in the heavy gray sky. Reluctantly, I tore my eyes away from the horizon, turned around, and followed him in.

-------------------

military
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:29 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Military? Got it.

I hurried through the mine shafts, bumping into things as I went along. As I hurried, I ran into a mine cart, which I proceeded to fall into and be led down the tunnels.

I still couldn't believe the situation I was in. A foreign country was beginning to attack our military bases, and I was told that their demand was a gem that was apparently hidden here. Even if they chose not to give it to them, they said they needed it quickly.

As the mine cart contined along, I eventually saw lights. When I looked closely, I saw people. Based on their uniforms, they must have been the military that was invading!

I ducked down and felt bumping. That'll show them. But I also was aware that there were likely more people here.

The narrow tunnel quickly opened into a large, vast expansion of space, and more cart trails were next to mine. Sure enough, the military was on these. I ducked down to avoid being seen, when a rock punched a hole in the front of my cart and hit me in the face. The cart had protected me, but I could hardly see out of my left eye. The hole, however, provided me a way to look ahead without being seen. The pain in my eye was unignorable, and I clutched it in my hands.

As I continued along, I eventually noticed a small indentation in the wall coming up on the right. I quickly dove out of my cart and onto the tracks, the thought in my mind that they could see me. One of them did, and alerted the others. The gunshots that followed hit my left arm and gave me a rug-burn like wound on my forehead. I looked back at the indentation and crawled in. It opened up to a secret room, which contained the gem. I grabbed it, then got back in the mine cart and began manually pushing it the other way.

Within minutes, I was out. I began running across the desert, quickly refilled my canteen, and hurried through. Just a couple miles of running to go.

OK, that was more of eight minutes. Whatever.

Anyway, new word:

Weasel

And on the pedestal these words appear:/'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;/Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'/Nothing beside remains.
— Percy Bysshe Shelley