z

Young Writers Society

Music drabbles

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon May 05, 2008 4:47 am
CassandraInvisible says...

Okay, so I picked up on this in an lj community and I havn't seen it here yet, so I thought I'd share and see if anybody likes it.

Basically, it's writing with music. Open up your iTunes or other music player on your computer, and put it on shuffle. Then, using the FIRST song that plays [no skipping] you write for the duration of the song and no longer on a theme picked by the person above you, using the song as inspiration for your piece of writing (you can incorporate lyrics from the song into it.)

Here's an example:

Theme - Saying goodbye

Song - When It Rains by Paramore

The rain pelted down around her, sticking her clothes to her skin and forming her hair into a sparkling curtain framing her pale face. The rain mixed with her tears, so you wouldn't know she was crying if it wasn't for the redness of her eyes. Before her, he loaded up the car. Packed his life away, the life he'd had with her. How could you do it? I never saw it coming. Why can't you stay just long enough to explain? The thoughts raced through her head.

So yeah. It's fairly straightforward, can be challenging, but I always find it fun. PM me if you have any further questions.

After you've written your drabble, make sure to come up with a theme for the next person. The theme can be anything, about a celebrity or a season or an emotion, but try to be specific =D

Next theme - Humiliation at school
Getting what you want is just as difficult as not getting what you want. Because then you have to figure out what to do with it instead of figuring out what to do without it.
- The Realm of Possibility

Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality