z

Young Writers Society

Character Consequences

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:27 pm
Gahks says...

This is something I picked up from a creative writing book called The Five-Minute Writer; I don't know how we could do this on this forum but it's useful if you belong to a writers' circle. If not, just respond to as many questions as you can in five minutes.

In the group exercise, you write down a character's name and approx. age. Then you pass the sheets around the room, responding to each prompt, much like in the game "Consequences," until you have a bank of suggestions that can "plump up thin characters."

Here's the list (add to it if you so wish):

1. Whom does your character turn to for advice?
2. What are the character's "hidden" attributes: qualities known to the person but not to others?
3. What are their "blind" attributes: ones they cannot see but others know of. (Remember, these can be positive as well as negative.)
4. Identify a frightening moment or situation from their childhood.
5. With whom does he/she feel most relaxed or at ease?
6. What is their driving force in life?
7. What is the first thing people notice about them? (This doesn't just have to be visual.)
8. Who is their best friend?
9. Name an event or incident the character would prefer to forget.
10. In close relationships, are they more likely to be the comforter or the comforted?
11. When the character is angry, how does he/she express it? (If they don't get angry, what does he/she do instead?)
12. Are they a spender or a saver?
13. What is their weakness?
14. What is their relationship to food? (E.g. where, when and what do they eat? Are they overweight? Eating habits?)
15. (My own.) If their plane crashed on a desert island, what three things would they save and why?
16. (My own.) What is their worst fear?
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:43 am
Jamie_rocks says...

Hmmmmm, do we have to have a time limit? I think it would be more fun without. I'm just gonna answer them all regardless. And why didn't you go?

Brad Liftridge, 17
1. His step-father
2. He is actually quite self-conscious and soft-hearted.
3. He's very smart. He comes off conceited.
4. His real father was a drunk, and when Brad was five he saw him almost kill his mother.
5. Kent and Arik
6. He wants a football scholarship.
7. He's hot, loud, and he's the first one they see in a large crowd.
8. Arik
9. The car crash and replay of it on TV (See The Love Note ch. 2)
10. He's never been in a close relationship; nothing lasted more than a couple of weeks.
11. Yelling, cussing, punching things, and generally getting violent.
12. Spender
13. His little sister Kamren
14. He chows down on the protein, but no fat, just muscle. (He's the quarter-back after all)
15. That depends on if there's people on the plane. He'll save them first. If not, he'd get his cell (you never know, there might be a signal). A first-aide kit if available, and some sort of food.
16. Losing his family or friends. His father actually killed one of his friends, which is why Brad's mother finally left, so Brad has been terrified of losing people since then.
17 (my own). What is one strange physical feature that stands out?
He has shocking green eyes. However, (the doctors say his color pigments were messed up, due to his father being on drugs and booze at the time of his confection) when the light hits it right, his left eye looks blue.

Hope I did it right. I can'r believe no one replied to this yet. That helped.
Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:54 am
Clo says...

I really like this character list. I've seen other character lists like this, but I think this one asks the right questions to actually help you get into the minds of your character.

Sounds like a good book. :D
How am I not myself?

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 am
BluesClues says...

As usual, Jack Allen from Country Boy.

1. Whom does your character turn to for advice? He turned to his grandfather when his grandfather was alive; then for a long time he just didn't really turn to anyone (except occasionally his brother's wife - and not in THAT way, he wouldn't do that); and now he's starting to turn to Adele.

2. What are the character's "hidden" attributes: qualities known to the person but not to others? He's stubborn. (He is good at recognizing this quality in other people.)

3. What are their "blind" attributes: ones they cannot see but others know of. (Remember, these can be positive as well as negative.) This...sounds like the previous question...

4. Identify a frightening moment or situation from their childhood. From his childhood: He once nearly got hit by a car chasing his baseball into the road. As an adult: His last bull-ride. That's probably his most frightening moment ever.

5. With whom does he/she feel most relaxed or at ease? Adele and, to an extent, his brother and his brother's wife (but these two less so when his parents are around).

6. What is their driving force in life? It was rodeo, for a long time; now he's feeling restless because he's not sure what it is. (I mean, not consciously, but that's why he's feeling restless.) The story is kind of a rediscovery/self-discovery for him.

7. What is the first thing people notice about them? (This doesn't just have to be visual.) His apparent self-possession and self-ease.

8. Who is their best friend? His dog, Zeus, and Adele.

9. Name an event or incident the character would prefer to forget. His last rodeo bull, his grandfather's death, and more or less everything to do with his father.

10. In close relationships, are they more likely to be the comforter or the comforted? He prefers not to be the comforted, but he finds it awkward to be the comforter - he's never quite sure what to do.

11. When the character is angry, how does he/she express it? (If they don't get angry, what does he/she do instead?) He usually tries to swallow it and bottle it up, but sometimes he snaps. He'll blow up for just a moment and yell, and depending on the occasion he may throw a punch, but he's quick to get himself back under control - he needs only a small reminder of where he is, who's watching, etc in order to do that.

12. Are they a spender or a saver? Generally a saver.

13. What is their weakness? An unwillingness to face the past, a tendency to run away from the past/his fears and avoid confronting his problems.

14. What is their relationship to food? (E.g. where, when and what do they eat? Are they overweight? Eating habits?) He has an athletic build; after years in rodeo he's become accustomed to being active, if only by going on frequent long walks; also he has one of those annoyingly fast metabolisms. He does not overeat and in fact frequently under-eats (these days - he never used to); he prefers your ordinary American cuisine but also occasionally enjoys Chinese or Mexican food.

15. If their plane crashed on a desert island, what three things would they save and why? Primarily himself, of course; his dog; and if he was traveling with someone he would try to save them, but that would be more of an afterthought (sorry to say), depending on the person. He would not bother with material possessions, although he would regret the loss of his cowboy hat, which he nearly always wears.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:36 am
purpleandblue22 says...

Beth "Sparrow" Jones
Tom Mallor, the local sort-of doctor and long time friend.

2. What are the character's "hidden" attributes: qualities known to the person but not to others?
She is terrified of dogs, she doesn't know why, but she is. She also has always wanted to put on the most beautiful ball gown and just spin in a circle.

3. What are their "blind" attributes: ones they cannot see but others know of. (Remember, these can be positive as well as negative.)
She is insensitive and harsh, but at the same time thinks she is being kind.

Government officials came after them in the night and shot her dad as her mom hurried her and her for siblings away.

Tom M. and Emma Nealson

Revenge for her family's death.

7. What is the first thing people notice about them? (This doesn't just have to be visual.)
The number five branded on her right cheek and her arrogant attitude towards her leadership.

Emma N.

The day she was supposed to carry food for kitchen duty but she tripped down the stairs and covered her self in food. Also, the day her appartment was bombed and she couldn't do anything about it.

10. In close relationships, are they more likely to be the comforter or the comforted?
Comforter, she can't stand people's sympathy.

11. When the character is angry, how does he/she express it? (If they don't get angry, what does he/she do instead?)
She pases and plans what she will do (she can't forgive and forget, she has to fight fire with fire).

Saver.

Arrogantness (is that a word?) and a old leg wound.

14. What is their relationship to food? (E.g. where, when and what do they eat? Are they overweight? Eating habits?)
She isn't overweight, but she hords food becuase she grew up never having enough.

15. If their plane crashed on a desert island, what three things would they save and why?
Her Mom's necklace, her gun, and food.
16. What is their worst fear?
Failure and lonelyness.
"When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often suprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."Ralph Waldo Emerson

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:26 am
TheClosetKidnapper says...

Ryan Derion, 17
1. The voices in his head, Conrad and Caleb - though Caleb isn't always the best to turn to...
2. He's not as brave, as strong, as he appears to be. He's jealous of his older brother Mark who has always been the "perfect" child in his father's eyes. Memory problems.
3. He's quick to judge and hotheaded in certain situations.
4. When the voices first came to him.
5. His girlfriend Valerie.
6. His driving force in life is to find something he can do better than his brother or to finally please his father.
7. How distant he seems.
8. Ironically, his brother.
9. How pale and cold his mother was on her deathbed.
10. Depends on the situation, but the comforter.
11. When he gets angry, he becomes careless about the voices and might start responding out loud. Tries to hold it in as best as possible but flips out when he can't.
12. Saver, it's hard for him to find something worth buying.
13. The distractions of Conrad and Caleb.
14. He eats whenever he has food at normal breakfast, lunch, and dinner times. He prefers anything Italian or Chinese, particularly Chicken Alfredo or General Tso. He is average weight, but sometimes skips meals when facing stress or a crisis.
15. He would save the picture of his girlfriend, his mother's necklace which he carries around, and the jacket his brother passed down to him. The three reminders of the only three people he cares/cared about.
16. Losing anyone else or being deemed schizophrenic, though he knows he is.
I'm never what I like
I'm double sided
And I just can't hide
I kind of like it
When I make you cry
'Cause I'm twisted up, twisted up
Inside

Semiautomatic
twenty one pilots

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:15 am
confusnow says...

Her older brother.
That she can make a sturdy, stable shelter out of her surroundings.
She is stubborn once she is sure she is in the right and once her mind is made up. She can not be swayed easily.
The moment her father told her she was pledged to be married.
Lepokia.
She really wants to outlive the people who were going to control her life, but she'd also consent to going back home after she is past the age of being allowed to marry.
Abnormally strong arms for a girl.
Her brother.
Returning home for her mother's funeral.
The comforter, because she refuses to be reached by even her closest friends.
She'll go and chop down a tree to enlarge her clearing.
Neither really, any money she makes on market days she has to spend the same day. She is more of a trader, though the amount she is able to buy and the amount she makes increases each month.
A great fear of being found out by her father, or one of his friends and being forced back to her old life.
Ranita eats twice a day, in the morning and in the evening, unless she is traveling. She eats her own bread, milk, and eggs when she is at home, and some days she will have cheese or another object that she obtained in the forest or on trading day. In the forest she can find mushrooms, berries, some fruits, and nuts. When she visits her brother, he gives her some home baked food.
15. (My own.) If their plane crashed on a desert island, what three things would they save and why?
If she were on a plane, she would have had to time travel first, but she would probably save a knife, material, and food, because she knows from past experience that she can survive with just that for an extended amount of time.
Her worst fear is that her father will run into her on one of her market days and make her come back. She also fears that she will have to marry if that were to happen, and that if she did go back her father would blame her for her mother's death.
We count the bad things in life because it's a number we can manage

We don't count the good things because the number would be too big for comprehension

If I had something to say...
I'd tell someone else.
:)

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:53 pm
EvensLily says...

Blue Gray... 17 years old.

Her twin brother - Steel
Her love for engineering and maths
She often hurts others to get what she wants
Watching her father die.
Her twin brother Steel, she loves him like no one else. They have been through everything together, he is the Jane to her Austine... however, he's a douche bag! x
Killing angels and doing her duty to the UDF.
Her natural Blue Hair
Steel, when she's not fighting with him and/or Ginger.
Getting split up from her brother when she was 11 for a year. It was the worst experience of her life.
The comforter. Blue rarely talks about her feelings, even with her brother.
She kicks off, throwing things and shouting. She gets into more trouble then she should really by overacting.
Spender, Steel saves.
Fatherly love, not being able to trust.
She eats to stay alive. But does enjoy a sweet here and there.
Her brother Steel, her photo album and her Angelic Avenger. Steel is her twin brother so, she kinda has too! Her photo album so she could never forget those she loves and her Angelic Avenger because it is a weapon. It could save their life in the island.
Herself, being alone, fear itself. Blue has a lot of fears, but fear itself is her worst fear. That is mainly because she is never afraid, and when she is, she knows its for a reason.
Write and Smile people! X

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:15 pm
justine94 says...

Devan Johnson, age 18
1. Whom does your character turn to for advice? his father
2. What are the character's "hidden" attributes: qualities known to the person but not to others? he is very concerned about his young cousins who live with him
3. What are their "blind" attributes: ones they cannot see but others know of. (Remember, these can be positive as well as negative.) he has a temper; his first reaction to a situation is to step in and take charge
4. Identify a frightening moment or situation from their childhood. he was kidnapped by local treasure hunters
5. With whom does he/she feel most relaxed or at ease? his best friends, D.J. and Steven
6. What is their driving force in life? he is passionate about God
7. What is the first thing people notice about them? (This doesn't just have to be visual.) his kind spirit
8. Who is their best friend? D.J. Henry and Steven Howe
9. Name an event or incident the character would prefer to forget. the time that his cousin Jessie was abducted
10. In close relationships, are they more likely to be the comforter or the comforted? the comforter
11. When the character is angry, how does he/she express it? (If they don't get angry, what does he/she do instead?) he loses his temper and often yells, but after releasing some tension, he simply talks it out
12. Are they a spender or a saver? definitely a saver
13. What is their weakness? his temper
14. What is their relationship to food? (E.g. where, when and what do they eat? Are they overweight? Eating habits?) he eats with his family, extended family, and his friends in a large dining area; he is trim; he has control over food rather than food having control over him
15. (My own.) If their plane crashed on a desert island, what three things would they save and why? he would save his detective notebook (because it carries a lot of memories), his backpack (it contains snacks), and his water bottle (might as well have fresh water for a little while)
16. (My own.) What is their worst fear? losing his family
Anakin: I HATE YOU!
Obi Wan: You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you...

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:18 pm
mephistophelesangel says...

Abel Snow, around 3,161

1. No one. He used to turn to his mother, but she has been dead for a long time.
2. He can care. (Although he really cares about just one person, who used to be his best friend)
3. He is terrifying and many times, morally wrong.
4. His mother was brutally killed right in front of his eyes by his enemies.
5. By himself, usually, but if he has to choose, his best friend.d
6. Bloodlust, guilt.
7. The maniacal look in his eyes.
8. Another kind of his race, Dominic Patterson, who hates him.
9. An event in which he killed a mother and a father just because their child was a half-breed between his race and human.
10. Neither. He would never let anybody comfort him, because it makes him feel weak, but he wouldn't comfort anyone either, because he believes that those who need to be comforted are weak.
11. When he is angry, he tries to keep it down, but soon gives in and turns physically violent, killing and attacking everything living in sight.
12. Neither. He wouldn't show compassion or "weakness".
13. He wants his best friend to be beside him. He also has little traumas about the past.
14. He eats human livers, but it is not mandatory.
15. He would save nothing, except for water, maybe. He cannot go that long without water, although he can last longer than most living things.
16. Being completely alone.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest