z

Young Writers Society

Name the Character Above You

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:36 am
Fireweed says...

So I'm not sure if this will work... but hopefully?

What you do is post a description of a character's personality, and appearance if you want, and the next person suggests a name they think would fit that character. They also post a description of one of their own characters, and it keeps going like that. Make sense? The idea is that you get names for those stubborn characters that you can't find suitable names for.

I'll start?

I'm looking for a name that sounds tough and pretty at the same time. My character is a teenage girl, rebellious, outspoken, very strong convictions and sense of right and wrong. Smart, but when she truly cares about something her actions can be brave to the point that they're stupid and reckless. She's not pretty- scrawny, with hair as short as a boys. She's a lesbian (not sure if that's relevant...) Has a knack for making people realize their potential.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:20 pm
View Likes
chocoholic says...

The name that instantly jumps to mind is Taylah, perhaps Jackson as a last name. I like the description, be sure to tell me if you se the girl in anything you write!

I've a had a girl in my head for a while. She's 20, unmarried, hasn't finished school and has a two year old son. She doesn't really know what she's doing, but she loves her son and is trying her best, hoping that she won't screw this one up. She's very independent, but can be very fragile at times. Not very brigt, but she works hard. She alo has a tendency to get offended easily and pushes people away.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:14 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Bethany

A guy, strong, quiet, shy, passionate about injustice, scared of most girls, gets very very quiet when he's angry, somewhat socially awkward, smart, nice-looking, easily offended.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:34 am
Kylan says...

Caleb

A guy, angry, impulsive, violent, passionate, is second-generation Chinese, lives in LA, but has an innate distiction between right and wrong.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:30 am
Nutty says...

For some reason, 'Jinn' comes to mind.

My character is cheeky, male, and quick to make others laugh. Has a sense of right and wrong, but somehow his 'right' doesn't coincide with the law's 'right'. Has no problems with theft, especially if himself or his friends are in need, but doesn't hesitate to share what he has. In spite of his young age, he is partial to drinking, and likes to think he is charming to the ladies.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:51 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Charles, if you're in "our" world. If not...Santh.

Lemme see...I don't really have any characters that need naming, but I'll just throw this out there;

Male, apx 37-40 yrs old, lives in a futuristic world. A kind man but hard, rarely smiles but loyal to the end. No children or wife, rather a loner.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:29 pm
Leja says...

Dameon

Over-controlling teenage girl in alternate world; one minute will be skipping around in a starched tea party dress, the next minute will be karate-chopping someone's head.

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:28 pm
Fireweed says...

Yoshimi! Heh, it reminds me of that song...

Young male artist living in a futuristic society which bans art, forced to hide away his paintings. Kind, introverted, thoughtful, a bit awkward- he expresses himself much more eloquently through art than speech. Hazel eyes, shaggy brown hair.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:43 am
Brackynn says...

For some reason, Liam was the first name that sprang to mind ... though I think that something like Samuel or Jude could work, too.

This is a character for the next novel I intend to write. The story is set in 1916, and she's a forty-four-year-old Australian woman, married for about twenty years with two sons, though both of them, plus her husband, have gone to fight in WW1. She's soft-spoken and self-conscious and is very contained in everything she does -- she doesn't show much emotion very often, though in private, she loves to laugh. She's a little taller than average and very thin with long, wispy, mousy brown hair, brown eyes and a weather-beaten complexion with lots of freckles on her arms and shoulders and over her nose. Over the course of the story, she comes out of her shell a bit and starts to speak her mind and loosen up around others, but it's a slow process.
"A person is a fool to become a writer."
--Roald Dahl

Reviews: 3
Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:15 am
dancingsprite says...

Samantha

A girl (minor character but a got-to-have) lives with a cool mom, has a sense of humor (though not overly). Is shy at first but once you get her going... She's gone! She's sensitive but doesn't let anyone know it. And her major flaw is... she makes fun of people. She is thoughtful and impulsive (if that makes any sense). She has suicidal tendencies. Nobody knows that though.

That's all folks!

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:28 am
Fan says...

Paige.

My character is a male of 17 years of age living in a fantasy world similar to ours. Talented and good-looking, he keeps his cool in almost any situation and is good at diffusing arguments between people. However, although others can open up to him, he cannot open up to others.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:28 am
casey_kent says...

Damian.

--------

My character is a male, 15-17 years old, has chestnut-brown hair, sparkling blue eyes, about 6 foot in height, plays soccer, a heartthrob, really hot, nicely built body, is secretly in love with his best friend since kindergarten, loves Cheetos Puffs, really smart and intelligent, a caring big brother.
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:54 pm
Gahks says...

Luke, Josh or Dan. Whichever tickes your fancy.

I need a name for an arrogant, stubborn but smart defence lawyer. He's the one that comes up with all the cheeky 'designer' defences that the prosecutors can't undermine and is a killer at cross-examining witnesses. He's also quite sweet inside and once tried to chat up Claire Donovan (she's the lead prosecutor; a ballsy, no-nonsense type). He's about 6ft, brown hair, blue eyes, slim build and has a gambling addiction.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:00 pm
deleted6 says...

Dylan

A teenage girl who's very strong psychic, heavy drinker due to depression (saw her sister raped to death) Pretneds to be male and wears about seven layers of clothing to further hide this. She's also homeless, cockney speaking and very street experienced.

I've got a name, but lets see if anyone can get her real name.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

Reviews: 3
Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:49 pm
inkdragon says...

Tony LaChance

Whoops! Forgot to create the next character...

A short, annoying high school freshman. Age, 14. Male. Extremely smart, but doesn't let anyone know it. Short, curly blond hair and hazel eyes. Likes playing video games and basketball.
[Insert nifty quote here]

We are all broken. That's how the light gets in.
— Ernest Hemingway