z

Young Writers Society

Going backwards

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:01 am
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

The point of this game is to get from the end of a scene to the beginning. The first person presents the ending of a 'scene' and indicates how many 'stages' there were in the scene. Then the next person is responsible for making up the previous stage, and so on until you reach the first stage (the beginning). Then the next person gives a new ending stage and the game starts over. Here's an example.

1st Person:

Stage: 2 of 2

Daniel looked at the cellphone in horror, unable to believe what he'd just heard. The phone dropped from his hand and clattered to the cabin's floor. He turned around and looked out the open door, hearing his car squeel as it drove away. His mouth was agape, his mind reeling. He'd just been duped.

Reading this, the next person will notice that there are blanks that need to be filled. Why is Daniel in a cabin? Why is he talking on a cell? What shocked him so much? Why is his car driving away without him? Why duped him? Then have to find a way to answer all these questions.

Person 2:

Stage: 1 of 2

Daniel parked the car outside the small cabin and smiled over at Veronica. He had to be the luckiest guy alive! There was no other explanation for why the pretiest girl in school was now his girlfriend. Sure, she had been mean to him in the past--but no one was mean to him now. He had a nice car, he'd ditched his geek friends, and he was going far.
Veronica smiled at him, batting her eye lashes. "I'm so glad you wanted to come out here. It's my absolute favorite place. Oh! Could you go and plug in my cell? I just need to freshen up."
Daniel grinned, taking the small designer phone and trotted off to plug in Veronica's cell like a good dog. Inside, he hunted around for the plug, but couldn't find it. He was about to go outside and ask her where it was, when the cell rang. He answered.
"Sucker," a voice--that sounded alarmingly like Veronica's mean voice--hissed. H heard the car suddenly revving to life.

People have to remember to introduce new, unexplained elements for the next person to work off of. A bit of a mental exercise, but I think it could be fun. ^_^

*^*^*^*^*^

Stage: 5 of 5

Tracy collapsed unto the concrete sidewalk, her hand still tightly closed around the artifact. She could feel body going numb. First, she couldn't feel her wet shoes anymore, then she was relieved of the discomfort of the cut on her thigh, and then even her headache went away. She smiled--or at least thought she did--at the irony. Curiosity killed the cat.
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:59 am
View Likes
thunder_dude7 says...

Stage 4 of 5

Tracy tried to catch her breath, looking over at the tiger that had attacked her after she finished wading across the narrow stream in the cave. It had slashed at her theigh and cut her badly. It was now across a large casm now, the wood bridge collapsed. It looked strangly to the blackness beneath them, then jumped at it. Tracy fled the cave, panicked. Thankfully, her artifact was still in hand.

Is anyone else desperately waiting to see themselves in the quote gen?
— TheCursedCat