z

Young Writers Society

Description!

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:28 pm
Azila says...

So the deal is, I'll post a picture that I find off the web, and you guys have to make up poetic metaphors/similes to describe the scene in the picture (they will be relatively simple pictures, so the descriptions should be between 100 and 300 words). There can be a little bit of background, but try not to focus on characters and stuff as much as on the scene you're describing.

Here's the first picture. After a lot of people post description (if this gets popular) I'll post another picture.

~Azila~
Attachments
images-miscellaneous-2005-dandelion-700x700.jpg
images-miscellaneous-2005-dandelion-700x700.jpg (91.69 KiB) Viewed 713 times
Last edited by Azila on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

721 Reviews

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:34 am
Azila says...

Nobody wants to try this? :(

Just shows how terribly unpopular I am around here...

~Azila~

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:53 am
Stockmar says...

you are loved <3

you and I can be bestest friends, how bout it? :D

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:33 am
PenguinAttack says...

Because I'm fabulous:

"The moment before the dam breaks. Perched on the edge of all that is solid and wholesome, the idea of change –stepping into the unguided new - is horrific. Still, on the edge you stand. Waiting to feel your feet slip, lifting form the ground you love and soaring into the welcome air. Buffeting from one life to the next you find inevitable death as you fall against the grass in soft torment. Silent, lying crumbled against Death’s door, you notice the world around you change. The colours blur, drifting away like wet ink from a page. Until, finally, you are alone in your world, waiting once more for the dam to break."

Is that what you were looking for? It's about 113 words.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

721 Reviews

Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:46 am
Azila says...

Stockmar>>Sure we can be bestest friends... but wanna do the activity? XD

Penguin>>You are fabulous! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Hopefully this will catch on...

~Azila~
Last edited by Azila on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:03 am
JabberHut says...

I hope I understand the drift of things. :lol:

One hops onto the edge, its claws loosening the sticks their home was built of. It spreads its tiny wings, looks from sky, to ground, and back. The adult prods the chick until it finally falls off the edge and soars into the sky without another look back. One chick after the other is gently pushed off their place of safety to the wild adventures of the sky. The last chick is left alone in its home, twiddling a somber tune through its beak and dreaming of the day it would finally join its fellow birds in the wild.

It's only 99 words, so please don't kill me. :lol:

~ Jabber ~
I make my own policies.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:42 am
Rakun says...

Whem I arrived here, I was amazed with the kind of flower...
It remind me about my warm country: Mexico.
There are ones flying around while the innocent children catch this.
The children love it.
The flower loves them.
The wind blows it around they.
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:29 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I stand on the edge of the unknown, ready to leap off the precipice and face the empty sky. There is only the slightest current in the air, a faint flicker of wind, but it is enough. I lift my arms, reach toward the heavens. I am afraid. It is possible, very possible, that I will not survive. But I cannot stay. My kind does not linger in one place for too long; we must move. We must continue on and on, sowing seeds, planting plants, recycling our lives and reliving through our children and our children's children. I cannot stay. And so I lift my arms to the wind and let the sky take me.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

721 Reviews

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:53 pm
Azila says...

Here's a new one in honor of the Instructor competition. You can use this or the old one, whichever you find more inspiring. :D

~Azila~
Attachments
2385518062_cd6e3cb299.jpg
Public photo by danielygo from Flickr.
2385518062_cd6e3cb299.jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 555 times

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:09 pm
Rakun says...

Ok. let me to write a shorter story....
(Can i post it in script?)

"Me! please, turn on me!!!", the red head stick said, jumping above his brothers...
"Hey! Why you? Let us be burned also!!!!", said the angry stick, pulling his crazy brother.
"Relax", said the stick who had a red and warm fire on his head. "I am going to burn everybody, okay?", and smiled.
"YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH", they said joyful.
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:41 am
Fireweed says...

Not sure I entirely get this... were supposed to come with a metaphor? But I'll give it a try...

Everything begins with a flame, with a spark. A sudden burst of brilliance in the darkness. A catalyst. It is powerful, unpredictable- it has both the potential to light the way, to provide warmth and vitality, and to consume, to destroy, to devour. It is luminous, it is mesmerizing. It is fleeting- like a dying love, a dying passion, it can be snuffed out abruptly or gradually wane till it extinguishes itself. Either way, ash is all that can remain. What was once a blazing dancer, a roaring furnace, turned black and drab and lifeless. Everything begins with a flame, and everything ends in ashes.

Ha ha. Melodramatic much? Fun activity though. ^_^
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:44 pm
thewritingdoc says...

That's called voice from pictures. We're doing it in school.
    I'd rather write about this world than live in it
    and I'd rather play music all day
    and read and wander around bookstores
    and watch humans
    but not be one of them.

Every time our next guest is here, all of our lives are seriously in danger.
— David Letterman