z

Young Writers Society

Pick and Mix

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:11 am
Kylan says...

Okay, here's an exercise for you...

Roughly a month ago, sitting in church with only a pencil and notebook as entertainment, doodling absently while babies screamed and the speaker droned, I decided I would write a poem. Something short. Something new. Inspiration? How about the speaker himself? Random words from a boring sermon = raw poetry. I made a short list of eighteen words chosen at random from the speech:

-- president
-- impressions
-- wheels
-- with
-- lighting
-- my
-- thrill
-- after
-- daughter
-- love
-- paths
-- amen
-- calling
-- recieve
-- attend
-- imcomparable
-- love
-- individual

Then, I pushed them around a little, using one word as my title. The poem didn't have to make sense; in fact I prefered that it didn't. This is what I came up with.

Individual

My president, my president!
with daughters lighting thrills.
Wheels attend after love
and impressions of paths
recieve our Amen -
call him incomparable.

It sounds nice. And maybe a meaning can be gleaned from it. As in all poetry, meaning is relative and everything is up for interpertation. You'll also notice I used two words twice, "president" and "my". You'll further notice I added connectors, a couple helping words, and changed how a few words were structured. So here's your challenge/exercise: to create a poem - something short, which could make sense, but doesn't need to - out of randomly chosen words from a body of text which I will give you. You may add connectors, small short helping words, and change how certain words are structured (ie: calling to call). Something like this shouldn't take more than five to ten minutes. Make it raw.

Rules:

-- You use twenty words, no more, no less
-- Titles must be constructed from out of your "word pot".
-- If this is successful, every week, I will post a new, random body of text for people to choose words from.

An excerpt from Wikipedia:

A History of Biochemistry

The dawn of biochemistry may have been the discovery of the first enzyme, diastase (today called amylase), in 1833 by Anselme Payen. Eduard Buchner contributed the first demonstration of a complex biochemical process outside of a cell in 1896: alcoholic fermentation in cell extracts of yeast. Although the term “biochemistry” seems to have been first used in 1882, it is generally accepted that the formal coinage of biochemistry occurred in 1903 by Carl Neuberg, a German chemist. Previously, this area would have been referred to as physiological chemistry. Since then, biochemistry has advanced, especially since the mid-20th century, with the development of new techniques such as chromatography, X-ray diffraction, NMR spectroscopy, radioisotopic labeling, electron microscopy and molecular dynamics simulations. These techniques allowed for the discovery and detailed analysis of many molecules and metabolic pathways of the cell, such as glycolysis and the Krebs cycle (citric acid cycle).

Have fun!

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:34 pm
BlondeHelmet says...

Okay, how about this?

Yeast

Previously, processes allowed demonstration
of advanced radioisotopic
coinage.
Dawning cells and the Kreb’s cycle - especially such a physiological
yeast - was referred to as an enzyme
since these cells allowed demonstration.

~Helmet~

I am proud of my self, the reason why some of you might disagree with me a little with, but nevertheless I still proud.
— Oxara