z

Young Writers Society

Rate The Idea Above You!

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:11 am
View Likes
Icaruss says...

Alright, so I know we all got ideas that never see print. Mainly because we're never sure which ones are good, and which ones are bad. This activity will, I hope, help us figure it out. So. You describe the idea you've had for a piece of writing in as little words you can. Don't go writing two paragraphs, just like, fifty words or something. Get the jist of it down, and the next person says if they'd be interested in it, or not.

I know you'll say there's more to it than the concept, there's the style, and everything, but whatever. Just say if it sounds interesting.

So... I'll go first. Alright?

Play: Two junkies work as caretakers in a cemetery, and make money by digging out coffins and reselling them to a funeral home. One night, they find thirty thousand dollars hidden in a newly burried coffin. Three criminals come and get the money later. It's called Gravediggers.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:13 pm
View Likes
jonny911 says...

7/10 It sounds cool and urban but I don't really like the 50,000 dollars part. It'd be better as a story, IMO.

Novel: A girl is the target of goverment intrest when scientists beleive a strange new branch of particle, that seem to be capable of altering the physical structure of things, and seems to be able to think, is found surrounding her, while the church aims to kill her, thinking the new material evil (it's fantasy, not sci-fi). She escapes the country with the goverment, who tell her she is being hunted, but ends up in the hands of pirates.

It's kind of hard to explain )-:

Oh yeah, and cool idea Icaruss!
"Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"A felon!"
"Are you sure?"
"Yah! This kid at school says they get all the girls!"
"I should try that..."

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:22 am
View Likes
Kylan says...

7/10 Cool idea, but chaotic sounding and reminds me slightly of "His Dark Materials".

Short Story: (Sci-Fi) As the world finally falls into the hands of the neo-nazis - devout followers of Hitler and his dogma - a group of scientists perfect the time travel technique and send an assaisin back to the late thirties to kill Hitler and alter the the future - or their present. Unfortunatly, they find that the past cannot be changed through a series of failures on the assassins part.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:52 am
aeroman says...

6.5/10 - That's a tough one to rate because nazis/facism and time travel have all been done before. I personally don't like it that much, but it could be very good! Maybe some more original ideas on it?

Novel (historical fiction): In the ninteenth century during the Second Great Awakening, a time of religious revival in America, the creation of utopian communities came about. One such community was the Oneida Community in New York. This community believed, in layman's terms, that everyone should be married to everyone and that everyone should work towards the good of the community. For example: throughout the week, a man may sleep with up to five different women. The community believed that by having intercourse with various people, you would be as fertile and productive as possible. The community does eventually self-destruct due to a power struggle among members vying for control after the death of the original leader. And it turns into a silverware company that is one of the biggest companies in the industry today.

My novel would be about a man who is born into this community, believes their practices are immoral and attempts to start an uprising. He has trouble finding people that agree within the community and goes to the newspapers to help him exploit his birthplace. Also, he is in love with a woman in the community, but she does not agree with his stand and will not follow him. So does he continue exploiting the community because he believes that the community is condemned to Hell and sacrifice his relationship with his love? Or does he forget his beliefs and stay in the community so that he can continue his relationship?

The plot is not entirely thought out yet, but I think it's an interesting idea. It came to me while I was in US History the other day, lol. I could also just fictionalize an entire community with similar beliefs as the Oneida Community and then I wouldn't have to do as much research, haha. :)
They haven't invented the missile that can kill an ideal.

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:07 am
View Likes
Wolf says...

7/10
I personally wouldn't read it, but that's only because of the rather mature theme (men sleeping with various women...ew...!). But that's just me; after all, I'm only 12.

Novel (Fantasy Fiction) :
(It's really hard to explain, and I still haven't thought of the plot really)
For 13 years, Ayra has been kept safe on Earth, with no knowledge of the sinister Kingdom of Rain and the many threats it hides in twilit woods and walls of darkness.
But the coming of [insert name here. I haven't thought of who yet] shatters her peace and plunges her into her native homeland once again. The illusion mask her mother had woven for her falls away, revealing her to be a Miokoda (night elf) with a dark prophecy hanging over her head.
Despite the circumstances of her birth, the other elves accept her and she begins her apprenticeship as a Helvellari (Dragon-Friend) in the ancient city of Iyr.
But she is plagued with misfortune, and as soon as the Chinook (a demon) learns of her presence in the Kingdom of Rain, he sets out with but one task: To kill her.
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:57 am
darchoco says...

7/10

slightly cliched, unfortunately. A young girl (Thirteen), hidden from the world. Has a dark prophecy, alternate life, etc. etc.

still, has interesting elements, and the controversy sounds interesting, but out of the blue. More emphasis on the antagonist would do well, like why does he want to kill her? Where did he come from? He has to have a good connection to it rather than just being evil. Still, sound interesting.

(Fantasy Fiction) novel: Coden, a young man in a small village, is known as a craynor. They are those who have no magical ability, and are looked down upon and mocked. However, a small quiet village was established, and this is now where he lives. The neighboring kingdom quietly supplies the village with food and resources on the plea of Tuvil, the cockiest and youngest of the four element generals. Tuvil and Coden form a friendship, and are constantly with each other when Tuvil comes to the village.

However, one time when Tuvil is there, Ser'rica, the flame general, attacks the village without warning, slaughtering all in their path. However, when They try to kill Coden, he is thrown into the fire, into which his magical powers are called up. Using his powers, half the army is instantly destroyed.

Another watches from the shadows called Mel'kin, an elf with many secrets. Coden spots this elf, and quickly battles and loses against him, only to be saved by a man named Karsh.

When the dust clears, all the village is destroyed with few survivors. Karsh calls upon Tuvil and Coden to help him avenge the town, and find that mysterious elf...
if you were to die today, would you be able to tell yourself that you did everything you wanted and everything you could?
life is a puzzle. want to put it together with me?

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:44 am
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

6/10

I didn't get much of the actual story. What exactly happens in the story? It sounds like it could be really good, but I don't know. I can't really rate it fairly, I think.

It's rough, but... Supernatural Fiction Novel: What if the person you loved wasn't your soul mate and the person who was... was already dead?

Laura lives in an apartment of her own after a fight with her roommate. She has the perfect boyfriend, Peter, who loves her with all his heart. But there is a problem: there is a ghost in her apartment who is in love with her. He's perfect, except that he's dead. He begins to come between her and Peter. Unsure if that is what she really wants, she begins to pull away from the ghost. But when she tries to get rid of him, he begins to follow her everywhere and his attentions slowly start to become more menacing. Soon it turns from a romantic shadow to a haunting menace, who seems to be trying to force her to join him in the afterlife... by killing her. It's up to Peter to find the way to rid her of the ghost, even if it means giving his own life... But what if Laura IS actually meant to be a ghost?

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:34 am
Samantha Eliza says...

8/10. It seems kind of interesting but reminds of Just Like Heaven a little bit (but obviously it's a lot different.) I think I'd probably read it because I'm a sucker for romance, but I think it's kind of cliched that she has the 'perfect boyfriend' because that's BS. No boyfriend it perfect.

I guess this would either be Sci-Fi or Fantasy, can't really decide which fits it more:
The world has evolved differently than what it has today and there are two races: the Daywalkers and the Darkwalkers. The Daywalkers fear the dark so much that they never go out in it and the Darkwalkers are burned by the sun and are basically blind in it, so they don't go out during the day. The Darkwalkers are the dominant race, the ones who think themselves 'civilized' and fear the Daywalkers more than anything, because they see them as brutal killers, kind of like vampires. There are bounty hunters called the Starbranded who are born with the ability to go out in sunlight and they 'protect' the Darkwalkers from the Daywalkers.

The whole idea is, a Strarbrander (I can't decide their gender) goes out to capture a Daywalker but is instead captured themselves. They find out that the whole race of Daywalkers are civilized and (of course, because I can't resist) they fall in love with one of them. The Daywalkers are only perceived as evil because they fear the Darkwalkers so much that they have bounty hunters of their own.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:12 am
Jamie Falcon says...

7/10: Sounds cool, though it reminds me a lot of Scott Westerfeld's books [Uglies trilogy, Midnighters, etc...]. If you wrote it, I'd read it!

Comedic Short Story: A young man pulls pranks on his friends all of the time, and for the most part they are used to it. Unfortunately one day, the young man goes too far with his pranks, and the friends have had it. So they decide that they're going to have a little revenge--that being, hiring a faux grim reaper to come and visit him, actually convincing him that he is dead. You could almost think of it as a modern-day Scrooge, without the money and such. It would simply be entitled, "The Prank".

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:21 am
Bella says...

7/10 I sounds good, but rather cliched, as you slightly pointed out. It also seems like the man would have to be very VERY gullible to believe he were dead in this day and age.

A small book consisting a many different short stories and poems, all of which pertain to romance. They could be happy, or sad, as long as they are romantic. The collection, in it's enterity, would be entitled "Love Notes."
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:37 am
View Likes
chocoholic says...

6/10

It's a cool idea, but I'm just not one for romantic lit.

Idea:

A teenage girl gets pregnant buts runs away without telling her parents. Eventually she returns home with the baby but lies and tells them she found it abandoned in a public toilet.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:41 pm
View Likes
Kylan says...

8/10

I like that idea. If the cover art was good, I'd read it. :wink:

Synopsis (short story):

After being particularly cruel to the class outcast - the one with dirty clothes and a round face and an upturned nose that accents small black eyes - the popular girl finds herself transformed into the outcast and the outcast transformed into her (read: Freaky Friday-esque). The popular girl is so horrified by who she has become and the outcast's life that after the course of a few pages exploring the psychology of a fallen socialite, the popular girl kills herself. Title: "A mile in her shoes".

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:07 pm
View Likes
MidnightVampire says...

6/10

The only problem with this is it actually sounds like freaky friday. The twist on the end does change it a little, though. Otherwise, i would read it. ( i just didn't like freaky friday that much, so that's why i seem harsh).

Novella: Five friends(all 16) always made fun of this one teenager (who is 15). His name is leium (I can easily change the name). Leium decides to take revenge. The five friends discover that leium is a level 3 magician (long story about levels) and they have to use magic (they can only use level 0) to escape and gang up with Alto (his name is spanish for tall. I know), a magical helper on lieums side.

I know it sorta sucks, but hey, its worth a shot.
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:33 pm
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

6/10

All it needs is a bit more twist. =P And maybe a little more detail. Why is L's helper ganging up with them against L?

Random idea (a dream I had last night actually =P): Having outmsarted the devil but failed to properly break her tie to hell, M and all her female descendants are cursed to forever be hunted. The task falls to the men of the family to guard the girls until the bond transfers to a new girl, then hide them away when the girls reach maturity (the age when the first woman died and the bond fades). In my dream the story was about the youngest (and only girl of her generation) who is clairvoyant and unfortunately prone to escaping the protection of her family. No clue what the ending was going to be =P The devil took the form of a poodle, also. XD
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:24 pm
View Likes
Aedomir says...

8/10 seems a bit done but I like wher you're going with the devil.

Trilogy (fantasy): An exile joins a group of outlaws who are being chased by monsters from a forigin continent, and go round searching for more members to outlaw themselves and join. It starts with the main character's guardian saving the remaming 6 mmbers of his men from dying frmo a huge host but the leader is killed in the battle. He becomes leader and goes to get some ffod but touches the waterfall they are hding in and get transported 1000 years into the future. The world hsa been overthrown and he escapes a prison with a corrput man who gets his trust, tries to kill him, but fails. He his lead to believe that during this time he was a murderer working for the monsters but wanst really. His 1000 years of energy hits the waterfall, and a past verson of himself comes out to help him. He realises he must find the meperors's heir but fails when he realises he is dead. the character dies in a graet battle but the past versions goes inside him and defies death, gest sent back to past and disocovers he has to stop the empire from being overthrown. He uses an ancient weapon the outlaws were hiding to save the world from the apoaclypse...

A bit long? Oh well
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney