z

Young Writers Society

Rate The Idea Above You!

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri May 22, 2009 5:39 am
Teufelshund says...

7.8/10

Sounds great, could be a fun piece to read and write. As you said, there's lot's of exploration to be made here, especially with the generic engineering and social stuff.

Good action of course...make sure it doesn't get to jargon-laden or tedious though.

--------
[untitled]

A sixteen or seventeen year-old guy struggling to make ends meet in AP English [and life] gets randomly assigned to write a research paper on Medieval sexuality with two girls he might call his friends; they're wealthy and smart and involved and gorgeous, and religious. Basically "top five percent-ers"...

But our protagonist kid is an angst-ridden sardonic outcast who has never even talked to these ladies or their kind before [Social barriers? Fear? Slacker apathy?], except for monosyllabic grunts and cryptic greetings.

So he drives to one of the girls' house late at night along some dark foggy roads and they all three gather to finish typing their twenty-one page paper. Who knows what will happen under Elisabeth's roof...

A story of coming of age, lots of potshots at modern society and high school and sexuality and life in general.

Can't decide whether it'll be a romance, a straight up serious/realistic piece, or a "Superbad"-esque gag. I'm thinking the latter.
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

Reviews: 3
Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:36 pm
Vonika says...

Hmmm...I really feel like I want to know more. For me, I would need a dramatic plot twist or cliffhanger in that description for me to be interested. Otherwise, it just sounds too general. (Keep in mind though that I tend to like lots of drama and action, so it may be that those types of stories aren't my thing. :) )

-----

The place is America (state to be determined) The year is 1870 (may be changed). A young, adventurous scientist fills his head with ideas of space exploration, transportation, and striving for peace in the land; ideas that are ridiculed by his fellows.

However, this young man, during one of his experiments with machinery and electricity, manages to transport himself 99 years into the future, to 1969; the height of the space race in America.

Overcome with shock, the oddly dressed young man struggles to adapt to this modern lifestyle as best he can, and learns about the Apollo 11 mission to the moon. Estatic, he speaks with NASA officals and promotes himself as a future space engineer who wishes to work for them someday. He is desperate to understand how this moon mission can be possible. He is given a general tour of the NASA headquarters, and jots down everything he hears and sees...

But after only two weeks in 1969, he is suddenly whisked back to his own time, 1870, wearing modern clothes, clutching NASA brochures in his hand, and holding his journal full of notes.

The young scientist is thought to have gone mad by his friends. He launches himself into the construction of a satellite, his head full of knowledge that will not be known by his generation for nearly 100 years.

And as he later discovers, someone from 1969 has accidentally followed him back into his own time...

What will happen when the 19th century is suddenly exposed to such impossible discoveries?

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:14 am
Jamie_rocks says...

I would say 6/10. I'm trying, but I can't promise that my rating isn't biased by the fact that I don't usually read scifi. It sounds fairly interesting; I would probably read it to see what happens. One thing though, I can't see NASA giving him a tour, when he probably doesn't have any valid form of identification and little knowledge of where and when he is, they would probably imagine him a terrorist.

Okay, my idea is a fantasy, I don't have all the specifics, but I have a base. It's called "The Pendant."

This teen William lived during the time of witch hunts and burning and such. His dad held a position of power, and "proved" a young teenage girl guilty of witchcraft, punishable by burning, of course. Unfortunately, her three older brothers weren't very happy about the verdict, and they decide to get their revenge on him by murdering Will. What none of them knew was that someone living in their town really was capable of magic, and the kind old sorcerer decided to help Will by creating a small, magical pendant. As long as the pendant was undamaged, Will would not age, possessed increased strength, and could not be killed.

The brothers came after Will, and when he defended himself, he accidentally killed one of them. The two remaining brothers seemed to disappear after that, and over a century later, Will-still fifteen years old-was sure he was safe. But the brothers came back. Now Will has to figure out how they followed him through time, and to stop them, must go on a wild goose chase through his past home to find the one person who can help him. It's too late to turn back now, all he can do is hope that the brothers haven't spent the past hundred years backing him into a trap.
Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:31 am
Lil_Pau says...

7/10. It sounds interesting, and I like the sibling rivalry. :) However, this is the type of story that requires lots of twists and turns, otherwise it would get a little tedious.

In the year NE1 (1933), Adolphus Hister was appointed as chancellor, ruling Germany and dominating countries by the help of his party, the Nazi. The Nazi regime went on for many years, ruling Europe and putting it under a rule of dictatorship.

Then, on November 9th, NE40 (1972), the Nazi suddenly launched Operation Kristallnacht throughout Germany. There was only one goal, which was to capture all Jews and foreigners, and separate them from the world by placing them in concentration camps. Children, however, were separated from adults and placed in another camp called ‘Kinderreferat.’ Among them was Romil Sidony, a 14-year-old Irish boy whose parents and twin brother were killed in front of his eyes.

However, everything changes when he meets a group of children who, like him, share the same ideals of stopping the Nazi, and also have extraordinary abilities due to exposure to a chemical called G-11. After successfully escaping from the Kinderreferat, the group of them then embark on a journey. They face dangers such as child traffickers and occultists, but eventually find shelter in a rebel group.

Later, as Romil and the rebel group get involved in disrupting Nazi missions, he finds out that he and the group of children are part of a deep conspiracy involving G-11, immortality and a fraternal organization.
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:57 pm
Krupp says...

This might be cool; I love hearing about Nazis getting their butts handed to them. It's plenty of good fun. Be careful that this isn't just another superhero novel though, if you know what I mean...

8/10

----------------------------

There is a world torn apart by a war masked in shadow. The decay of the cities all across the world reveals that this is no ordinary war, but a war of flesh and adjacent realities. The enemy is a paranormal creature that feeds on the flesh, addicted. They slip in an out of shadow, striking at any time, anywhere. The unified world govt. has taken it on themselves to create a soldier that can combat these creatures, being trained to see them not just in our reality, but in theirs as well. These soldiers are trained from youth, until they become hardened machines who obey orders without question. They alone are the last line of defense in a war that would seem hopless to all but a few. To the people, however, they are viewed as detectives and cops, not actual soldiers, and that is their chance to be viewed as non-threatening by the enemy.

This particular tale is about two detectives working on the same case, and going about it in different ways. This case could lead to them finding the home and heart of the enemy, and destroying it quickly. However, both men were trained at a secret facility that is far more secret than any of the other facilities that their contemporaries were trained at. Hollowed and scarred by what they've seen in their time, and traumatized from a young age, hardened into violent and aggressive, ruthless killers, these two detectives soon find it inevitable that not only will they make contact with the enemy on their own turf, but they will end up facing each other as well.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

52 Reviews

Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:44 pm
Jamie_rocks says...

I would say 7/10. It sounds interesting, but the end-of-the-world theme has been done a lot before, and so has the special breed of soldiers to help us. Yours would have to have a lot of twists and such to make it stand out from the bunch.

Okay, I recently developed this idea, so it's still got a few rough edges, but I wanted to see what people thought of the basics before elaborating it too much.

Basically, Jason was a thief who broke into one of those big, Victorian style rich people homes, you know. He got there just in time to see the homeowner, Ronald, shoot his wife Megan. Ronald catches Jason, and uses the events to blame him for the attack on his wife. Of course, nobody believes the proven thief when he tries to blame the extremely shaken husband of attempting to murder the wife. Unfortunately, the husband isn't quite done killing. They decide to wait for Megan to wake up before placing the verdict on Jason, and he immediately sets out to try and find a way to prove his innocence. He learns that Megan had uncovered Ronald's secret pastime, and there was no way she would be allowed to wake up. He also realizes, to his horror, that he has recently given Ronald a new victim-Jason's seventeen year old sister.

So of course, he goes on a twisting, thrilling journey to protect Megan, prove his innocence, and save his sister-and many others-from Ronald.
Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

160 Reviews

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:15 pm
Krupp says...

9/10 definitely something worth reading, from the sound of it. You don't hear of too many of these kinds of stories anymore.

---

David Kearny is a seventeen year old guy, with no real passion in his life save for a love of writing. Poetry, fiction, he does it all. One night, while driving home from a party, depressed by his lack of true friends, haunted by teh bleak pessimism that runs deep in his heart, David isn't prepared for the moment that a drunk driver t-bones him, causing him to strike his head and lose conciousness.

David awakens in a new world, where things are different, and there's a war between two sides, two sides that he barely understands. Intercepted by a man who merely refers to himself as David's "guide", David is drawn into a cluster of adjacent realities that touch our own world, where battles between good and evil are constantly waged, and humanity is thrust into the middle. David must learn to conquer the evil within himself, or he will never be allowed to leave these different realities and re-enter his own..
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

52 Reviews

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:13 am
Jamie_rocks says...

Hmm... I would say 8/10. It sounds original and interesting. AS long as you keep the plot twisted, I would definitely read it.

I came up with this idea last night, so I don't exactly have all the details yet, but I wanted an opinion on it. It's called "The Perfect Woman" and that little one liner on the cover would be something like "How far would you go to find her?"

So basically, this guy is a complete psycho in disguise, and he decides he's going to create the perfect woman. He is going to do this by stalking and abducting woman with one perfect feature, slowly combining them into one perfect body. I have no idea where it's going to go from there, but it'll be from the point of view of his next target.

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:51 am
Pattycakes says...

7/10, a psycho in disguise as in wearing a costume, or an seemingly average person no one suspects? The first person point of view seems interesting but you'd have to be careful not to yank the reader around too much. The other half of the story (the people trying to catch him) would have to be developed or it's just snuff fiction. I'm curious how the 'assembly' process would work. Definitely an interesting motive though. Sounds pretty cool.

Pirates aren't just for the history books anymore. A small, high-tech mercenary group operating out of the world's most feared waters, gets more than they bargained for when they they storm a United Nations vessel and take a Dutch polyglot named Hendrik hostage. The outfit has to maneuver through a tangled web of the South East Asian underworld as the gangsters of Russia and China violently battle for control of the region's drug, firearm, and prostitution rackets. A Somali warlord looks to viciously expand his pirating operations into the region. Local navies begin trying to crack down on the pirate problem bringing more and more heat down on the illegal outfits. An old Frenchman forges currency to supplement the money he makes selling knockoff paintings to tourists. A young Cuban woman tries to maintain her brothel while avoiding being squeezed out by the mafias. An Indonesian college student runs the biggest bootleg video operation on his island. Corrupt international aid organizations turn a blind eye to all this. For a price.
Meanwhile, the mercenaries do whatever work gets them their next paycheck, while also keeping their increasingly valuable captive from being tracked down by the vaunted Interpol police agency, who have made locating the abducted UN translator a top priority. But when Stockholm Syndrome begins setting in, does Hendrik really want to leave the adrenaline filled life of a new millennium pirate, to return to his boring UN desk job?

160 Reviews

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:38 pm
Krupp says...

9/10 get to work on it so I can read it man hahaha.

-----------
Trey Stoneman witnessed a brutal murder at the age of twelve. It's something he's repressed for most of his life, working as a college student, and a part-time spy for the local FBI man, Frank Burns, who's put him onto a savage case. Trey is assigned to discover the terrorist who has been causing riots all over the state, killing and spreading terror wherever he goes. Trey is determined to catch the man, despite his own reluctance in working for the government, which this terrorist opposes. As Trey goes undercover, slipping into the terrorist's gang, he finds things are far more dangerous than he could've imagined. The terrorist plays mind games, psychologically breaking Trey down, all the while still running rampant all over against the authorities at every turn. With these facts in hand, being accused of being a traitor against the state by Frank Burns, Trey Stoneman must find a way to bring the violence to a halt.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:33 pm
Rosendorn says...

8/10. I like the push and pull of him doing his job yet reluctant at working for the government, and it's got the makings of a psychological thriller. I just don't think the murder is woven into the story line enough.

*Removed*
Last edited by Rosendorn on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:59 am
asxz says...

9/10 I like it. And I don't like those kinds of stories usually.
Sophie Stuart thinks she's an ordinary girl. Then she finds out that she can manipulate peoples minds; she can't physically change the reality, but she can alter a person's perception of what they think is going on. And then, when she 'saves' a person from jumping off a bridge and committing suicide (He jumps, but everyone thinks she saved him) the police and everyone start delving further into her life. She creates so many lies, and there are so many different people who she needs to convince that her situation seems hopeless. Will she ever be able to go back to being a normal teenage girl?
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:52 am
kaiden says...

7/10. I like stories that have a more, gritty approach to super powers instead of the usual tights and cape, running around using powers for the greater good. but i gave it a seven because i think it would be more interesting for sarah to abuse the power in order to get everything she wants until she accidentally puts herself in a giant hole she can't get out of.

The war of Angels and Demons takes place on a super-continent. To the east, a giant rip in the ground is where the demons of Satan spawn from. To the west, a towering and vast mountain shoots upward to touch the heavens where the angels are from. In the middle, the humans are caught trying to live their lives, already have taken sides with either God or Satan. The age of technology is an ancient area told through myths. Now mankind has reverted back to swords and bows. There are a few great cities created by angels on which humans live on, other humans live in little village that dot the western side. On the eastern side, a dry barren wasteland of cannibalistic humans living underground and leading very savage lives. However, the story focuses on two village hunters who, after finding their village slaughtered by demons while away on hunt go out to seek personal revenge having only to fall into a greater task. They find a fallen angel without wings, learn of a prophetic vision told of an angel/demon/human hybrid who would determine the outcome of the war and soon embark on the mission to find this very real prophecy.

oooh this inspired me to write it! lol but honestly tell me how you think about it.
Any man can handle adversity, to test a man's character give him power - Abraham Lincoln

To be the greatest is when everything before you is obsolete, and everything after you bears your mark. - ?

160 Reviews

Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:05 pm
Krupp says...

6.5/10 please don't take offense...I'm just being honest here. This sounds a tad bit too generic to me. There are some cool ideas in it, and then some that have been done too many times. See if you can make the battle betwen God and Satan a bit more than just an all out war-perhaps the humans are unaware of the real battle (Like, if you believe in that sort of thing, real life. Some people actually believe that angels and demons battle for human souls every second of every day.) At any rate, see if you can try to find something to make this a little more unique. It's not bad, it just needs some work.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four men, Jake Farrel, Bryan Cooper, Steven Turner, and Aidan Bodry, are men of different paths taken in life. They live on the planet Belorth, a peaceful world in the galaxy. That is, peaceful until a sudden unseen disturbance shatters the peace of the entire galaxy, destroying a planet, and causing every single remainging world to be ignited into chaos. Civil war between the planets seems inevitable. Farrel, Cooper, Turner, and Bodry happen to meet up in one place on Belorth, in the central government building, where they are herded into a large military strike force assigned to hunt down the cause of this disturbance and to destroy it. What they discover is a Creature of great ability and terror far beyond their imaginations. This is an epic that will take the lives of four men, who are individually searching for reason in chaos, and give them the answers they've been seeking for in ways they never would've imagined as they battle against this colossal creature throught not only their galaxy, but parralel realities, and other galaxies across the universe itself.

52 Reviews

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:46 am
Jamie_rocks says...

I'd say 8/10. I personally have loved alien books since I started reading Animorphs, so I would definitely read this. As long as there was enough action to keep it flowing, I think this could be a really good story.

Traumatized

Jessica Dahlum was sure she had never been happier; her Dark Age was finally over, the Golden Age had arrived. Her life's ambition was fulfilled; she was famous and successful; she was surrounded by great friends and maybe even falling in love. Nothing could possibly go wrong. Famous last words.
Then the nightmares start again, and the accidents follow. Jessica's three best friends are just as baffled as she is. Slowly, they begin to suspect she is hiding something. Horrified at the possibilities, Jessica's new friends are forced to confront the past she has suppressed for years, in order to save a traumatized girl before she destroys everything she has worked for, and everyone she holds close to her heart...

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
— Mark Twain